SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
quint9
quint9 is on a distinguished road

Default Headlight Wiring Harness Recall

Please help in initiating a safety recall of the Saturn Outlook by the NHTSA to have the headlight wiring harness replaced with a more heavy duty model. Please go to the NHTSA web site and click on "RECALLS" and "REPORT A SAFETY COMPLAINT" and take a few minutes to fill out the form. The more Outlook owners who have had this problem that complain, the more chance we have of GM issuing a recall to address this issue.

I just bought a used 2007 Outlook and about one week later the headlight went out. I researched here to find out how to change it (OMG that is insane to have to take off a tire to change a headlight!!!). Upon removal, I found the wiring harness was melted like so many of you have experienced with your Outlooks. I also found out the hard way that you should be careful in the removal of the lamp from it's seat because you can easily rip the wires from the harness. I had to rig up a new harness of my own and I extended the wires so that I will have an easier time changing that light next time. It took some time to get the wire extensions crimped onto the old wires but I got it done and the light is still working one week later.

Please fill out that form at the NHTSA so we can all get new wiring harnesses.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quint9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quint9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quint9 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Bruce_Lee
Bruce_Lee is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Headlight Wiring Harness Recall

Here I am.

Again, I haven't heard of any headlight wiring issues. Please post more information (of others complaining about this issue).

thanks,

BL

2008 Saturn Outlook XR FWD
Silver exter and ebony cloth interior
Navigation (w/ rear view camera)
Trailering Pkg.

No brand loyalty; My loyalty is to my money!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce_Lee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce_Lee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

The only thing I found on any of the sights about the wiring harness burning up is when someone put an aftermarket light in an Acadia. Nothing else on the Acadia or Enclave forums.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
quint9
quint9 is on a distinguished road

Ok, ok. I guess I exaggerated the scope of the problem and the number of people who were experiencing it. It was unintentional and I apoligize. I did think I read of a melting problem in more places on the two Outlook forums that I have joined than I have found now that I have done another search. I might have seen mention of it in some other places but here are two posts where it is mentioned. There is a TSB out concerning the melting problem as mentioned by BigTallV in a recent thread

"TSB #09-08-42-004 "Low Beam Headlamp Replacement/Diagnosis (Inspect Fuse, Bulb, Harness, Replace Harness and Fill Connector Cavity for Low Beam Bulb Connector with Nyogel Grease) - (May 29, 2009). Document ID: 2284787. Applies to models 2007-2009 Saturn OUTLOOK"

I have attached a couple of pictures of my harness. Sorry again for my exaggeration and thank you for calling me on it and keeping me honest.

P.S. I still would like for Outlook owners to file the request for a safety recall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00424-2.jpg (136.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00425-2.jpg (81.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00426-2.jpg (110.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00428-2.jpg (76.1 KB, 135 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quint9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quint9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quint9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Tazz378
Tazz378 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE

I've gone to the NHTSA website and made a complaint. I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook with 36000 miles. The drivers side head light/daytime light went out. Changed the bulb and check the fuse and still doesn't work. So I take it to a local GMC dealership that now works on Saturn's with a 60 months 75000 mile extanded warrenty. They tell me that it's not covered that it is a short in the headlight and it will cost $599 to fix. I tell them not to worry because I've seen everyone posting message on the internet about the same promblem I'll fix it and charge me $56 for labor for just looking at it. I get the number from the dealership for extanded warrenty service and call them to ask why it's not covered. They tell me that the dealership put it in to replace a headlight not a short to have them resumit or call. Called the dealership and told them what was said from the warrenty service and now they have the parts on order and refunded the labor charge. Ooh and when I talked to the service person when I brought the car in she told me it's a common problem and asked how the plug looked when I change the bulb. Hope any dealership hasn't tryed this to anyone else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tazz378's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tazz378 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tazz378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
BoJames
BoJames is on a distinguished road

I too have a major problem with my low beam headlights on my 2008 Outlook. I reported it at safercar.gov. It was very easy and quick. If you have the same problem please report it so that we can get a recall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoJames's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoJames reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
blue_vue
blue_vue is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

On a slightly different note, is it just me, or is the stock headlight/low beams/DRL on the Outlooks inadequate at best? I have an 09 XR FWD with the projector lens assembly, however the light output is basically that of a decent flashlight! IMO. Without surrounding light (from other cars on the road/streetlamps, etc), I can barely see up ahead. Then there is the VOL cut-off (DOT requirement) which basically cast a shadow at the end of the light beam down the road. This is very annoying because it is exactly where I tend to focus. I had the dealer check the headlight aim. They said it was off a bit, but even after the adjustment there is no difference. These have got to be the worse headlights I've seen. To compound the problem, I think GM is using the same headlight assembly as if you get the HID option, but with H11 bulbs instead. I'm guessing they went with H11's to mitigate against the wire harness overheating issue because of the lower wattage (55 Watts), but that didn't seem to solve the problem. Afterall, people are still complaining about wire harness issues. I am seriously thinking of changing the bulbs for something with more lumens that will hopefully throw more light further down the road. However, that would mean higher wattage which I'm sure is going to smoke my wire harness. I might have to look into getting the OEM HID option to avoid any warranty issues.

Did anybody have those installed? Is it a dealer option? or strictly factory? Any wiring harness issues with the HID option anyone is aware of? What about performance - enough light thru those projector lenses with HID?

Sorry to be long-winded...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue_vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue_vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue_vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

very common issue with outlooks. my drivers side went at 37k. warr covered it but how long til the other one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE
Question Re: Headlight Wiring Harness Recall

related ? maybe not a exaggeration ! ;

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130309

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
danler
danler is on a distinguished road

I have a 2008 Outlook RX FWD and the drivers headlight went out. 43000 miles. I took out the defective bulb(or though I thought so)and replaced it with a new bulb and 3 days later it was out again.The old bulb smelled burned and the wiring harness looked burned as well. I filed a complaint with Safercar.gov about this issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Kowall975
Kowall975 is on a distinguished road

Mad Re: Headlight Wiring Harness Recall

I am soooo not happy with my '08 Outlook. In the last 2 months the switch in my passenger door window went $150 there. Then I loose both of my low beams. Find out this is a notice on the harnesses and not a recall.. $500+ later on that.. Then my hatch wont open.. another $150.. Now I have something wrong with my brakes that does not have to do with the pads or rotars.. As much as I love my Saturn this will be the last one I will own.. Too many specialty parts etc.. Who ever heard of a car where you can't simply replace a head light on your own... I will be reporting all this to the national traffic safety board like the post before me reccomended.. Maybe one day I can recoupe some of this money..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kowall975's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kowall975 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kowall975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Big O
Big O is on a distinguished road

Well Guys,
My wife had an accident with our 09 Outlook, another person hit her on the front drivers side head on. We finally after 6 weeks are getting it back from
the Auto body shop. They had replaced our front grille and the drivers side Headlight assy
housing and all. I was telling the mechanic about the wiring harness issues
people have been having. He dug up our old headlight assy and handed me the whole harness complete. he said here now you have a spare. Our Saturn
only had 3300 miles on it and the harness was as new. But looking at it
I am amazed at the light gauge wire they used it should be a bit heavier
gauge I would think. But the sockets seem fine no signs of melting yet.
But I mentioned the grease and he said the factory headlight assy came
dry with no grease in any of the connectors and my old harness was the same . Dry no grease in any connector. So what gives???? Truthfully
that harness is pretty cheesy. My lawn tractor has heavier wiring!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Big O's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Big O reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
jmart2636
jmart2636 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook XE and the drivers low beam healight went out. I accessed the lamp assembly and found the harness had melted. I called a local Chevy dealer that service Saturns and I explained the problem. The service advisor told me he had seen this problem before and since my Saturn has 30,000 miles it would be covered under tha factory warranty. I asked the advisor to check the passengers headlight harness as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmart2636's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmart2636 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmart2636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
ArnieLerma
ArnieLerma is on a distinguished road

Mods this is NOT a double post, I tried to post a LINK to this post on THIS forum and it wouldnt let me

Burnt up lamp connectors

You can get at it taking the fender well screws off and turning the wheel to the right or left...

The connector on the harness was burned up, so I replaced the bulb and used a $3.99 set of push on terminal clips that I found at pep boys that fit the H11 lamp perfectly.
These clips are Pepboys PN 84347

The original bulb was okay but the contacts for it were all burnt up and blackened, so I bought a new H11 bulb plus a $3.99 blister pack of clips "mini Male-20-18" I dont know why they say "male" cause they are female.... go figure

There were a lot of OEM bulb sockets but none for H11's - the manager said that the newest patent sockets had not been "OK'd" for OEM yet.

I sat on the floor and looked through stock for 30 minutes before I found the perfect fit. I demanded perfect fit cause halogens run HOT and if there is any resistance at the connector, the connector becomes a toaster...and burns up everything...

Had this $3.99 part not worked I would have had to take it to the dealer and pay hundred to have the whole harness replaced....

I was disappointed to see that the wiring they used appeared to be 20 gauge or 22 gauge stranded and it appeared to be a kind of wire called half hard copper - a hardened form of copper alloy.I used 16 gauge hi-temp aircraft wire and cut 2 - 8 inch lengths and crimped them to the connectors I found at pep boys and then soldered them and pushed them onto the lamp pins.

I cut off the burned up connector and then using a small box-cutter blade, cut off the insulation (tough stuff) and then spliced it to the new wires using orange wire nuts.

Though I did not seal the end, the whole gizmo is in a sealed compartment anyway, if I was to seal it, Id use a Q tip and spread a little motor oil on the inside of the connector body NOT the contacts, and then fill it with RTV Silicone... presto you have a new connector body!

Oh, total time, including shopping time was 1 and half hours.

Total cost including the bulb was $16

And yeah I have some scratches, but I saved a bundle, hope you do too and I do not look forward to doing this again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArnieLerma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArnieLerma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ArnieLerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
KTX
KTX is on a distinguished road

Yea...my 2008 with 35782 miles on it just lost one of the low beam head lights. I am good at fixing things, but this really makes me mad. This is the lamest design for any car I have ever owned. The fact that it is so buried that you have to remove a wheel to get to it baffles me. Anyways I did the deed...I fixed the damn thing. My plug was a little melted but not as bad as the photos in this thread. From now on here is what I am going to do...
During daylight hours I turn the headlight switch to OVERRIDE LIGHT CONTROL. No more safety...its too much of a risk that the lights won't work at night when I NEED them.

I urge everyone reading this to file a complaint with the NTSB, its easy and fast and it will FORCE GM to recall the badly designed harness and plug. Way to thin gauge wire for all that current going thru there.

Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KTX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KTX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
Moose1199
Moose1199 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Just got back from the dealership, thought I just had a burnt out light but it was the harness. Cost me $188 to get it replaced. I was not happy and asked why this would be happening on a vehicle that isn't even 3 years old yet. He said he would look into it. I knew I should have come on here first. I'm keep my service sheet incase something comes out. Not happy, especially when I thought I was going to get $105 for the heated windshield recall, ended up using that and then some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moose1199's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moose1199 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moose1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1199 View Post
Just got back from the dealership, thought I just had a burnt out light but it was the harness. Cost me $188 to get it replaced. I was not happy and asked why this would be happening on a vehicle that isn't even 3 years old yet. He said he would look into it. I knew I should have come on here first. I'm keep my service sheet incase something comes out. Not happy, especially when I thought I was going to get $105 for the heated windshield recall, ended up using that and then some.
Just had the passenger side bulb replaced - the harness had shorted out the bulb and both had to be replaced. The extended warranty covered the harness, but not the bulb, even though the harness blew the bulb! If I had no warranty, or the harness had NOT burned out, the cost of replacing one headlight bulb would have been $126 + tax!!! Are the car companies crazy? Who in their right mind would engineer a vehicle that costs so much for a minor repair??? One of the service techs told me that a Cadillac had to have a light replaced in the front bumper. It cost $1000 for the work!! That is idiotic. Save me from big business.

Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to logbite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
captainkaos
captainkaos is on a distinguished road

Hi all, yet another p***ed off Saturn owner here. I had the headlight issue, my '08 Outlook XE has 28000 miles and will be 3 years old next February. GM does have a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue:

TSB #09-08-42-004

Reference this and it should be covered. The authorized service provider fixed my driver's side harness and lamp free of charge. What annoys me is the passenger side can only be fixed if they find anything wrong with it. They had to take off the bumper to repace one assemble, why not do the other one? This is what annoys me about GM (all GM vehicles are having light/electrical issues these days) is these "tech service bulletins". Basically they fix your car free if it is still under warranty, they make you pay if it is not. Whereas a recall, which this should rightfully be, they would be obligated to fix it no matter how old or driven the vehicle is. My advice would be to try to burn your working assembly up manually if you go in to replace just one. That is of course assuming you can access it. I will find a reliable service provider and have him go over my Outlook with a fine tooth combe before my warranty expires.

BOYCOTT GM. I hate them. To add insult to injury, GM hired an outside contractor to survey your experience with the customer service rep who handles your case. I get this call from Quebec in the evening, I told the person taking the survey, GEE, maybe instead of paying you, GM should allot some resources toward satisfying its customers issues with their vehicles, maybe then, we wouldn't have to call the call center so much, which of course would make their survey useless. What an absolute sham of a company.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainkaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainkaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
tuzla1
tuzla1 is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
Mad Re: Headlight Wiring Harness Recall

Saturday my passenger head light stop working. Took it today to dealer and guess what, just receive phone call and it is wiring problem. Vehicle will not be done today.
2009 XE with 27000km

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tuzla1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tuzla1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tuzla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
FalconXR
FalconXR is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem too.

1. Passenger side low beam went out.
2. Replaced it thinking the bulb was dead.
3. (3) hours later, the new bulb was out.
4. Went digging back back under the wheel well and through some funky arm bending and twisting of the neck I could see that one of the female lugs on the connector was burnt.
5. Went in and started an internet search and discovered the cost of replacing the unit and seeing the other compliants.

Problem is, my 2007 Saturn has 61,000 miles and is out of warranty. I haven't had any real issues with it, other than the leaking sunroof (which was fixed under warranty), but I am not giving GM $1000 to fix a burnt out connector. GM, have the friggin recall and fix the wiring problem before someone loses their lights while driving and gets killed, or kills someone else.

I will attempt to find the proper H11 female sockets, maybe a ceramic version instead of plastic, and try to fix it myself.

The Outlook has been a great vehicle but GM is only hurting themselves with all these little issues. Shoppers will look at these and start running to other makers with better build qualities.

Outlook XR AWD
Charcoal Gray
Black Leather w/ 2nd row Captain chairs
Loaded w/ everything but DVD and Nav

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FalconXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FalconXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FalconXR is offline   Reply With Quote