SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
acworthpatrick
acworthpatrick is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default I think my clutch has failed

I have never had any problems with my 1992 SL1 since owning it, so you can imagine my suprise this morning when my clutch went out (I think), or maybe my transmission has quit.

I was pulling into the office building, and I went to go from 1st to 2nd gear and the transmission suddenly won't go into gear anymore. Car is half way up the road coming into the office park with the flashers on now, waiting for a friend to get here with this dodge ram to pull it up into the parkinglot.

Is this my clutch - when you move the shifter around I can't feel any of the gears, but the clutch pedal still has normal pressure.

Any ideas? I don't know anything about transmissions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acworthpatrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acworthpatrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acworthpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: I think my clutch has failed

I think it is your shifter bushing, based on the symptoms. Pull the console off and look at the base of the shifter as you move it around. You can get the new improved version on Ebay for 17$. In the mean time use a small c-clamp to hold the cable to the shifter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

I second hoseppi's diagnosis. This same thing happened to me last summer, and if I remember correctly, the only tool you need to pull the console is a Phillips-head screwdriver.

If the bushing has failed and the car is currently in neutral, you can hook your index finger through the shifter cable and pull back for 3rd gear and push forward for 4th to limp it home. I was able to drive my car home this way and save myself a big fat towing bill.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
acworthpatrick

1992 SL1

Awesome, you guys are great. I got the car pulled up into the parkinglot by holding the cable on there to get in first.

A friend gave me some zipties which are working great for now. The rubber cap on the end of the ball is all cracked and broken. I found the Delrin one on ebay and ordered it today. So hopefully the zip ties will get me around till it gets here. I snapped a couple of pics of the ziptie fix

1992 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC w/5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help acworthpatrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
hoseppi
Advanced Member

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

That should do the job. I think this cold weather is rough on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
acworthpatrick

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseppi View Post
That should do the job. I think this cold weather is rough on them.
We are having some unusually cold weather for GA the past few weeks to, must have been the straw that broke the camals back!

Here are some pics of my SL1, I almost never login here, but I need to start.
Everyone is always so helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
hoseppi
Advanced Member

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

I have a similar model, only mine is a 97 with the same eng/trans combo. @ 229k,and with the original clutch it still runs great. The gas mileage has gone down a little though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acworthpatrick View Post
I almost never login here, but I need to start.
I check this forum almost daily, mostly to read about other people's problems so I can be prepared if it happens to me

I've learned a ton of stuff (most of which I hope to never have to use! ) but if my car breaks down, I have a pretty good idea on what to do on most things.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
acworthpatrick

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I check this forum almost daily, mostly to read about other people's problems so I can be prepared if it happens to me

I've learned a ton of stuff (most of which I hope to never have to use! ) but if my car breaks down, I have a pretty good idea on what to do on most things.
Me to, I am actually pretty decent with engine work, but tranny's scare me.
Automatics even more than manuals - when they go south your wallet can take a massive hit.

I love my Saturn though - I usually get in the high 30's for mpg, and hardly ever have any trouble. What more can you ask for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Nels
Nels is on a distinguished road

1996 SL

Regarding the shifter bushing --
Looking for opinions. Does this bushing fall into the category of normal maintenance? i.e, should I be thinking in terms of replacing it before it breaks and leaves me stranded somewhere? Maybe I should just have one on hand, just in case? I have a 96 SL 5 speed with 112,000 miles on it. Just enough age and mileage that I am trying to stay ahead of these issues before they become a problem.

--------
Nels
Manitowoc WI
1996 SL, 5 Speed manual ╠╬╝

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nels's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nels reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acworthpatrick View Post
Me to, I am actually pretty decent with engine work, but tranny's scare me.
Automatics even more than manuals - when they go south your wallet can take a massive hit.
There are some great How To's on here (and links off site, to the richpin videos for example) for both manual and automatic transmissions - for diagnosing and repairing.

i'm contemplating switching to an SL1 transmisson for economy and putting in a new clutch while I'm at it, in a year or two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nels
Looking for opinions. Does this bushing fall into the category of normal maintenance? i.e, should I be thinking in terms of replacing it before it breaks and leaves me stranded somewhere? Maybe I should just have one on hand, just in case?
IMO, yes the bushing is a good preventative maintenance item.

You should have zip ties for if it breaks, if you don't do the bushing beforehand.

To do a roadside bushing replacement, you'd need a phillips screwdriver, and possibly a sharp knife and pliers to cut away and pull the old bushing out. You may also need a C-clamp to get the new bushing on. You can't do the stainless bushing as a roadside repair as you have to wait a day for the JB Weld to set up, but you could conceivably do the Delrin one.

Once you do the bushing, you probably don't need to worry about it ever again. The stainless one ($33 shipped, iirc) is a permanent fix. I expect the Delrin one ($23 shipped) to last the next 400k miles or so.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
leejm12
leejm12 is on a distinguished road

I had this happen about 30 days ago. Needed a sleeve on the shift cable, otherwise it kept disconnecting. Local trans shop just fabricated a sleeve/bushing to keep it from slipping off. Now works great. -J

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leejm12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leejm12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leejm12 is offline   Reply With Quote