SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
dave.sl
Advanced Member
dave.sl is on a distinguished road

Default Front air dam/gas mileage question

The other day the front air dam fell off and was dragging by one spring on my 98SL with 195k. Luckily, I was able to get the 4 new springs at the dealer and hook it back up. I noticed no change in engine temp with the air dam off. Of course it is winter. Has anyone ever checked the gas mileage with the air dam off to see if there is an increase? My guess is there would be less wind resistance with the air dam off but I don't know if it is enough to make a difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave.sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave.sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dave.sl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL
Default Re: Front air dam/gas mileage question

Gas mileage will probably be a LITTLE higher with the air dam. I think it pushes air to the sides of the car instead of letting air flow under the car. Air flowing under the car is flowing through a tunnel, dragging on the road and the car. And is turbulent.
Look at sports racing cars, they have huge air dams on the front. No doubt for a purpose.
The air dam probably helps cooling a little, to direct air over the radiator.

Just my guesses.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

I can tell you it won't make much difference. Mine fell off a couple of weeks ago and I haven't bothered to crawl under there to put it back on. I haven't noticed any tangible difference. Maybe I will in the warmer summer months, when both mileage and temperatures are a bit higher... But I haven't seen anything now.

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
Ghettoracer
Ghettoracer is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

My front air dam is off the car and I noticed a drop in temp as I get past 65 mph. Around 50mph it would stay a little below half and when I get on it it drops to the second mark at 65mph.

1996 Saturn SC1 Coupe - 1.9L SOHC, 5 speed MP2
Mods: AEM CAI, Exhaust Muffler, more to come...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghettoracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghettoracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

I think I might make a custom air dam. I slightly damaged my air dam when I crashed my car, and I lost the clips to hold it in, and some other plastic pieces. Never bothered trying to put it back on. If I could find a good material to use, I'd attempt to make an undertray and see if it gets me better fuel economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

On my first Saturn, a 95 SL, I lost the air dam when the car was only about 3 years old with about 55k on it. I never replaced it and the car had about 130k on it when it left the family. It never ran hotter and kept getting 40 mpg highway until I put slightly wider tires on it at 100k, when it dropped to 38 or so. Never seemed to affect the temp gage either.

The car did get a cracked head at 109k miles and clogged an EGR at 116k. Fluids, filters, belts, plugs, brakes, muffler strap, a TAM and an O2 sensor were the only other things I ever had to do to that car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I was at a track drag racing a Z28 with an airdam. Well, it was perpendicular to the car so it just had to increase drag. So we removed it and didn't even notice a hundreth. On the way back from the track, while it was in the hatch, temps rose quite a bit. Stopped and put it back on=normal temps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

a lot of the F-bodies were 'bottom breathers' - most of the airflow came up from below and the air dam was needed to bring air up to the radiator. You see that on cars like the cavaliers/sunfires and such - the air dam is fixed and mounted right under the radiator.

On the s-series (at least the 2nd gen, not familiar with 1st but suspect 2nd was the same), the air dam is mounted on hinges. At speed, it deflects backwards so it would do a poor job of pushing air up to the radiator.

It might also be mounted too far back and with no opening directly above it - been a while since I looked. I suspect on the S-series, it serves to direct air below the engine compartment to reduce drag, and doesnt affect cooling all that much

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote