SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Saturn Tuner
Saturn Tuner is on a distinguished road

Default Short Ram Intake vs Cold Air Intake

Is there that much of a power increase and is the CAI very prone to water intake? I live in a very rainy city and will be lowering the car 2".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Tuner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Tuner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Short Ram Intake vs Cold Air Intake

on a 2000-02 Saturn
AEM CAI 1.9L DOHC POWER GAIN: 8.6HP @ 5500RPM, 10.6 FT-LBS @ 3500RPM
AEM SRS 1.9L DOHC POWER GAIN: 4.7HP @ 5000RPM, 4.9 FT-LBS @ 5000RPM

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:40 AM   #3
noanoxan
noanoxan is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Tuner View Post
Is there that much of a power increase and is the CAI very prone to water intake? I live in a very rainy city and will be lowering the car 2".
well, I wouldn't say it's prone to water intake, but if your filter gets wet enough it can start to suck a bit in the motor, but only at wot. it hasn't hurt my car that I know of yet, but you never know.

I've been looking at rain sleeves...whatever the hell they're actually called. supposedly you can put a specially made bag around your filter and it helps keep water out. haven't seen a need to get one yet. aem also makes a bypass valve that looks like it'd work well. but I have better things to do with $50. like buy a new filter and tin snips. apparently I didn't take enough off my wheel well and I'm wearing a small hole in my filter.. tin snips are for said wheel well.

and the power increase is very noticeable compared to a wai/stock. loud too..

basically, as long as you don't submerge the filter or drive fast and furious in the rain, you should be good.

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to noanoxan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help noanoxan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
noanoxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

Actually you can end up with this
<<<<<<<

This was in a moderate rain storm driving on the highway. I wouldn't install another CAI with out some sort of rain shield.

YRMV

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

^^^ Its called Hydro-lock. That is the possible end result of taking in water.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
noanoxan

1996 SC2

yeah, hydrolock can fubar things pretty quick. I guess I've been lucky then. even more so since I've removed my splash shield (when I installed my fog lights), and haven't got around to putting it back on yet. not that it really worked for my purposes. I should get some 1/8" lexan, heat it up, and make a real shield.

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help noanoxan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny95sl2 View Post
Actually you can end up with this
<<<<<<<

This was in a moderate rain storm driving on the highway. I wouldn't install another CAI with out some sort of rain shield.

YRMV
I still cant figure out how that could happen, you'd need to have at least .2" on the top of the piston to come even close to hydro lock (that would raise your compression to 13:1 which should still be OK on most stock rods), that is about an ounce of water. however that would have to be present in the motor and not evaporated and after all that and some rough math you'd need to be sucking up about a 1/4 of a gallon per second at idle, and even more the higher the rpm. so basically puddles and heavy rain wont do anything, complete submersion on the other hand would take a few seconds to supply enough water to make it happen.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Saturn Tuner
Saturn Tuner is on a distinguished road

Great info guys, thanks. I will be going for the CAI and wont be driving in heavy rain then. The power difference is worth it for me even if just a few hp!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Tuner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Tuner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Great info guys, thanks. I will be going for the CAI and wont be driving in heavy rain then. The power difference is worth it for me even if just a few hp!
the power difference happens in the upper end of the rev range. either one is fine. the CAI costs significantly more and comes with the possibility of ingesting water if you don't install a breather. it also involves cutting some splash shields and/or fender liners.

again, a great addition to a race car. a poor choice for a daily driver...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
I still cant figure out how that could happen, you'd need to have at least .2" on the top of the piston to come even close to hydro lock (that would raise your compression to 13:1 which should still be OK on most stock rods), that is about an ounce of water. however that would have to be present in the motor and not evaporated and after all that and some rough math you'd need to be sucking up about a 1/4 of a gallon per second at idle, and even more the higher the rpm. so basically puddles and heavy rain wont do anything, complete submersion on the other hand would take a few seconds to supply enough water to make it happen.
I think the water pooled right at the throttle body and then when I opened the throttle to go uphill it all got sucked in at once. The damage was in the #4 cylinder closest to the throttle body. This was in a 10.5:1 compression ratio engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
noanoxan

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
the power difference happens in the upper end of the rev range. either one is fine. the CAI costs significantly more and comes with the possibility of ingesting water if you don't install a breather. it also involves cutting some splash shields and/or fender liners.

s3aturnr
ebay, man. $50..more or less. that's how much mine was, anyway. though I guess you could say $100, once you replace the pos filter that comes with it.

and yeah, get a pair of tin snips if you don't already have a pair, saturn tuner. it makes things so much easier. I didn't have a pair at the time I did mine so I used my trusty orange handled kitchen scissors. doesn't look too good, but it works.

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post

s3aturnr
I picked up my CAI secondhand along with a bunch of other parts for uber cheap, and I live in a desert. No problem on my daily driver. And cutting the wheelwell liner isn't a big deal. It's not hard to cut, and if someone later decided they didn't want the CAI or cut liner, it'd cost $5 tops for new ones at a decent u-pull-it yard.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
sprinj76
sprinj76 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2006 ION Red Line

I just got an AEM short ram intake from tirerack for $114. The red ones were on closeout special! I figure this is almost as cheap as getting the ebay cheapo intake and replacing the filter with a decent one ( ebay intake $30-40 + $50 for a dryflow AEM filter).

I have to say, I bought a cheap ebay intake for my last saturn (95 sc2) and the fit was mediocore. I would rattle due to nothing supporting it. The AEM has a nice supporting system, which is really simple. I also like the fact that the AEM has the tube that runs from the cam cover to the intake connect under the intake tube so its out of sight.

If you can find an AEM on special go that route, otherwise get the cheap ebay intake and get a decent AEM or KNN filter.

Black Onyx '06 Ion Redline w/ comp package

Red '97 SC2 5-speed --sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sprinj76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sprinj76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sprinj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinj76 View Post
KNN filter.
K&N... K and N

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
sprinj76
sprinj76 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
K&N... K and N
Shows what a fan of K + N I am . . .

I would personally go with the dry flow AEM filter.

Black Onyx '06 Ion Redline w/ comp package

Red '97 SC2 5-speed --sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sprinj76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sprinj76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sprinj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
moresaturn
moresaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

I have looked around for a CAI more preferably a shot ram kit, probably from AEM. But I have continually encountered the same problem, there are no part numbers for a SOHC, all the parts are for DOHC. Now I do not own a DOHC and do not have access to see one either. But from my own visualization of the DOHC around the web the route is exactly the same. The only difference that I can see is that on the DOHC is that the Vent tube that goes to the Valve cover is in a different location.

Is this the only difference between a SOHC and DOHC intake tubes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

what year is you car?

oh and you do realized that for the 250 dollars they want for an AEM intake that you could do a dohc swap, heck you could swap the whole engine for that price and not just the head manifolds and computer. (I'm assuming you have a manual since you are looking for a cai and they only fit manuals no matter what the model).

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
moresaturn
moresaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

Year is 98' forgot to put that in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
I had a CAI on my Neon R/T for 5 years, and never once had an issue.

Just drive when its raining..

Don't submerge the inlet of the CAI, and you will never have a problem.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #20
Keeter
Keeter is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Wow Leafy. I would love to find a place that would sell me a DOHC motor, Trans, Gauge Cluster, header/downpipe, and PCM for $250. Unlikely to happen. All that would be needed to make it run and drive decent. Not to mention not have a constant SES light.

A CAI for a '98 manual trans DOHC will fit a '98 SOHC manual trans. The crankcase breather hose for the SOHC is a bit shorter than the DOHC one. you should notice a difference in the way your car feels. Not a "win every stop light drag" difference but just the way it pulls. My buddy put one on his '96 wagon and it made a difference. Even the K&N SRI I put on my '99 SL1 made a bit of a jump in the way it pulls. Plus it sounds cooler.

That's my opinion,
Keeter

Last edited by Keeter; 01-19-2010 at 09:03 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keeter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keeter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keeter is offline   Reply With Quote