SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Timothy343
Timothy343 is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel Door wont unlock

Hello everyone,
Im in a bit of a situation here. As we all know the astra has a locking fuel door. Well mine has decided it will not unlock anymore. This is of course one of those things you learn when your almos on empty :/. I have looked at the fuses and none look as though they need to be replaced, and eveything else is working perfectly on the electrical side. doors unlock/lock ect... Does any one know of a manuel over ride of this lock? or has this happened to anyone else? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Timothy343's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Timothy343 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Timothy343 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Fuel Door wont unlock

Never happened to me, and I don't believe there is a manual override. If you can, get to the dealership as it sounds like the solenoid that locks the door went bad.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
sc1twntrbo
sc1twntrbo is on a distinguished road

was that an option? mine is manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc1twntrbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc1twntrbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc1twntrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

LOL, As we all know the astra has a MasterLock locking fuel door. Daughters has a combination lock on the door, with a bike lock on the gas cap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1twntrbo View Post
was that an option? mine is manual.
When you lock the car with the fob, the fuel door also locks. A solenoid activated pin goes through the hole in the latch.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Timothy343
Timothy343 is on a distinguished road

ok if anyone wants to know i took it to the dealership today. They hadnt seen it happen before, but they think its the solenoid so they orderd the part today. In the mean time however as saturnracer said in the back theres an access pannel on the right side and theres is a single black cable(not the one going to the tail light) that if you follow down you will feel a steel cable that if you pull or push will manually operate the lock. at least i can put gas in it again. wasnt sure if i was gonna make it on the way to the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Timothy343's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Timothy343 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Timothy343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Larry_va
Larry_va is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy343 View Post
ok if anyone wants to know i took it to the dealership today. They hadnt seen it happen before, but they think its the solenoid so they orderd the part today. In the mean time however as saturnracer said in the back theres an access pannel on the right side and theres is a single black cable(not the one going to the tail light) that if you follow down you will feel a steel cable that if you pull or push will manually operate the lock. at least i can put gas in it again. wasnt sure if i was gonna make it on the way to the dealer.
Thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry_va's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry_va reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Someone should write a book "101 things nobody knows about the Astra" ... thinking of doing that myself. lool!!!!!

Good to know, in case it ever happens to anyone else!!!

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Things would be a hell of a lot easier if only GM had produced shop manuals for the north american market that we could purchase instead of having to but a cd for the sister vauxhall uk car. Every gm car that i have ever owned, except a 78 omega, i have purchased shop manuals for.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
BoDuke70
BoDuke70 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Someone should write a book "101 things nobody knows about the Astra"...
Or more aptly, "10,001 Things Noone Will Ever Know About The Astra". Including the car itself...don't think I could fill one hand counting the ads I ever saw for those cars, all media combined. They were nice, drove one fresh off the truck and it had some really nice touches, but seems by that time GM knew they were gonna throw that baby out with the bathwater.

A different kind of parts guy...now in a bow tie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoDuke70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoDuke70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoDuke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I love that almost everything our overseas Astra cousins post on their forums can be found with a simple Google search (well, at least if it doesn't pertain to US measurements, lol) I found this:

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....etrol-cap-open

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

So, just to make sure I understand correctly, the fuel door locks if the car is locked? Sweet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! will become famous soon enoughAstra La Vista! will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
So, just to make sure I understand correctly, the fuel door locks if the car is locked? Sweet.
Totally.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
dcjlp
dcjlp is on a distinguished road

Had this same thing happen to me last year, turned out it was solenoid. Temporay fix was to remove the solenoid and open manually.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcjlp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcjlp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
ReGZ_93
ReGZ_93 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

The solenoid went the other day. I have to call the Dealer for a replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ReGZ_93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ReGZ_93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ReGZ_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #16
josamdo
josamdo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_va View Post
Thanks for the info.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I have made it home with enough gas to get to the gas station tomorrow morning on my way to work. I Couldn't believe this had happen to me with very little fuel left and I was out in the country.

I went to fill up before heading out to notice my gas tank outer door wouldn't open, I had tried everything but nothing was working. I got to my destination and had asked a friend to try and see what he could find on the internet. With no luck I tried calling GM only to hear that they aren't open on Sunday's, and On star wasn't any help at all. All she told me was that if I ran out of gas that they could bring me a tow truck, and they could tow me to a closed dealership. Geez Thanks.

I came home and found this in no time. So again Thank you Thank you Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to josamdo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help josamdo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
josamdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #17
jarrow
jarrow is on a distinguished road

Old thread, current problem.

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks in a row, both times with low fuel indicator on. Left the station and headed for the Buick/GMC dealer that used to be my Saturn dealer. The first time the tech tried numerous things and it unlocked said it was probably a "logic lock" meaning the computer was confused. I kept checking it all week and it was always unlocked when the car was unlocked until I pulled into the gas station yesterday. Back to the dealer, same tech and none of his tricks worked until he played with the connector. Scheduled appointment early next week to have it looked at and hopefully fixed.

Btw, none of the methods mentioned here or in other forums worked to open the fuel door. When I asked the OnStar advisor to unlock my fuel door, he did not even know the fuel door locked and said they could only doors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jarrow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jarrow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
jarrow

I stand corrected about ont of the methods mentioned. I was able to open the fuel door from inside the car by following the cable down towards the rear of the car and pulling it to release the fuel door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jarrow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
Astralicious
Astralicious is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Wanted to THANK YOU guys for the tip on the gas lock cable. My boyfriend surfed onto the forum about 1.5 seconds before I took a crow bar to my gas cap a while back when I found myself running out of gas and the gas cap inexplicably stuck shut.

astralicious (adj): Having appealing or pleasant modded hatchback qualities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astralicious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astralicious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astralicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #20
jarrow

It is nerve wracking sitting at a gas station, having your car tell you you have about 20 miles left, and the the gas door won't open. Luckily for me the Saturn service center was only a few miles away.

I ended up getting mine replaced under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!