SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
brandj1
brandj1 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Manual Transmission Shifter Cable modification from stock

I have a 2005 Vue with a manual transmission. Recently the shifter cable quickly became so stiff that I broke the clip (Dec. 21, 2009) that connects the cable to the shift lever. This rendered my car totally inoperable and I freaked since it's my only mode of transportation. I was able to fix the connection to the shifter so that I could get the cable to operate, however stiff.

I called the dealer (these are dealer only items) and ordered a new set ($211.00) and they are on back-order for over a month (Jan. 20, 2009). I've searched salvage yards with no luck. Now I fear that the stiff cables that I do have will eventually break and I'll be renting a car until they come in.

So, here's my idea. I've gone to Autozone and purchased two different univeral cables, one with both ends threaded, the other with a threaded end and eyelet end. I bought the two different cables thinking that one would be better for my application and I would return the other. I want to modify my Vue to accept these cables so that I won't ever be in this situation again!!

I thought the cable with the eyelet end would be better on the transmission end of the cable and the threaded end would feed into the shifter console possibly using the existing connections to the shift lever? Or, maybe the cable with both ends that are threaded will be better? I don't know at this point and I'll have to wait to see when it's all in front of me.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? The universal cables will be in next week (Dec. 31) and that's when I was planning on trying to put a kit together to adopt these univeral cables.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I would prefer to nurse my stock cable until the OEM cables come in but I fear breakage. However, if I modify the VUE for the universal cables, which are much cheaper, I will be better off on parts and availability.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brandj1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brandj1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brandj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
brandj1

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Manual Transmission Shifter Cable modification from stock

Update:

The cables came in from Autozone and I returned them as soon as I opened the box. I picked up a set from a local salvage yard that have the car working like new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brandj1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus will become famous soon enough

Did the AZ cables not match up? Were they close? I have the same issue on my 05 and I really didn't want to go buy a new set of cables, but mine are starting to freeze up a bit.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // Optima Red // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
brandj1

2006 VUE 3.5L

If I were you I would check the salvage yards for a manual transmission Vue. That's where I ended up getting my cables that cost me $100.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandj1 View Post
If I were you I would check the salvage yards for a manual transmission Vue. That's where I ended up getting my cables that cost me $100.
They are only about $130 new @ the dealer.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // Optima Red // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote