SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
ers
ers is on a distinguished road

Question Battery Change

I replaced the battery in my 99 SC2 this afternoon and need help with the factory alarm. Is there a way to disable the alarm quickly, rather than it sounding for a couple of minutes? The fob remote does not work after I pulled the old battery. Is this normal with a do-it-yourself battery change? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ers is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Battery Change

Take the forum jump at the bottom right of the screen to the How To library and follow the instructions for programming your key fob to the car

When you removed the battery, the car "lost" the information that the fob is supposed to work with your car.

Been long enough i forgot the details, but it's something like - You take a paperclip, connect a couple of contacts on the OBD II connecter under the hood release area, and do something with the key fob after the horn beeps

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

I've never had problems with my remote losing it's programming after changing batteries. If your remote does need re-programming, richpin06 has a video on youtube showing how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_lSBVXloQ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I've never had problems with my remote losing it's programming after changing batteries.
Neither have I, and I've taken that battery out of my car so many times it'd make your head spin. and my FOB still works today

of course, you'll lose your radio presets and computer stuff...

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
ers

I appreciate everyone's help with their responses to my post. I was able to talk with someone who has changed the battery in their Saturn and the result was very simple. After the new battery is installed, simply install the key in the ignition and push the reset button located near the steering console. This reset button overrides the anti-theft alarm once you install the key in the ignition. Reprogramming the fob was as easy - I only had to hold the lock & unlock buttons down for about six seconds and the fob reset. Thanks, again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
I appreciate everyone's help with their responses to my post. I was able to talk with someone who has changed the battery in their Saturn and the result was very simple. After the new battery is installed, simply install the key in the ignition and push the reset button located near the steering console. This reset button overrides the anti-theft alarm once you install the key in the ignition. Reprogramming the fob was as easy - I only had to hold the lock & unlock buttons down for about six seconds and the fob reset. Thanks, again.
What reset button? I have had Saturn "S" series cars for almost 15 years and I have never heard of or seen a "reset" button in the car. This sounds as though you may have an aftermarket security system. I have removed/changed/disconnected the battery in my 99 SC-2 many times and it has never had any effect on the security sytem.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

to those devices that plug into your accessory outlet or cigarrette lighter socket with a 9 volt battery really prevent memory loss of the radio's pre-sets or other things while the battery cables are disconnected? do these devices really work?

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/auracomesa.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
to those devices that plug into your accessory outlet or cigarrette lighter socket with a 9 volt battery really prevent memory loss of the radio's pre-sets or other things while the battery cables are disconnected? do these devices really work?

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/auracomesa.html
The idea is sound but I would say it depends on the voltage threashold of those devices. I have made a long cord with a cigarette lighter plug on it. The other end has allegator clips to connect to either a battery charger or the battery of another car.

What you have to remember with any such device, the cigarette lighter socket is usually always hot, meaning it is directly from the battery. When you back feed that circuit, that voltage is now available to the entire car as if it were comming FROM the battery. So if you are removing the battery cable to de-energize a circuit, like change the starter or somthing, that cable is still hot.

If you are using a device such as the one that uses a 9 volt battery, you will be safer because you don't have a full 12 volts and more importantly, you don't have the current potential that a automotive battery has. You aren't going to arc weld somthing with a 9 volt battery.

But to answer our question, it should work if 9 volts is enough to maintain the memory in those devices.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
What you are describing was added to the car after it left the factory. Possibly a dealer added item or something a previous owner installed.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
The idea is sound but I would say it depends on the voltage threashold of those devices. I have made a long cord with a cigarette lighter plug on it. The other end has allegator clips to connect to either a battery charger or the battery of another car.

What you have to remember with any such device, the cigarette lighter socket is usually always hot, meaning it is directly from the battery. When you back feed that circuit, that voltage is now available to the entire car as if it were comming FROM the battery. So if you are removing the battery cable to de-energize a circuit, like change the starter or somthing, that cable is still hot.

If you are using a device such as the one that uses a 9 volt battery, you will be safer because you don't have a full 12 volts and more importantly, you don't have the current potential that a automotive battery has. You aren't going to arc weld somthing with a 9 volt battery.

But to answer our question, it should work if 9 volts is enough to maintain the memory in those devices.
yes i understand that providing voltage through any live circuit will power the car. i sometimes charge my car through the accessory socket with a small charger. what i can't figure out is why 9 volts would maintain the memory when the electrical system of the car is 12 volts not 9. anyway, i will still try one of these devices when i have to change my current battery....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
ers

Not sure who added the reset button, but it is definitely a factory saturn security system installed in the vehicle. The friend that helped me said he has one as well. All I know is that it did the trick to silence the alarm and allowed me to sync the key fob per the saturn book instructions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ers's Reputation
Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

How does changing the number of times the hork honks when you press your FOB help???

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I've never had problems with my remote losing it's programming after changing batteries. If your remote does need re-programming, richpin06 has a video on youtube showing how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_lSBVXloQ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Not sure who added the reset button, but it is definitely a factory saturn security system installed in the vehicle. The friend that helped me said he has one as well. All I know is that it did the trick to silence the alarm and allowed me to sync the key fob per the saturn book instructions.
Can you post pictures of the remote and reset button?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote