SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
leard1
leard1 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default What is the Passlock system? 2002 L100?

On all cars? any way to bypass? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leard1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leard1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
macman90
macman90 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: What is the Passlock system? 2002 L100?

The Passlock system is part of the factory anti-theft system. Basically what it does is if your car alarm is activated or if someone tries to start your car using a different key or a flat head screw driver it disables fuel to the engine. The person trying to start your car can sit there and crank the starter till the battery is dead, but no fuel will be flowing so the engine won't start. Thats my understanding.

As for bypassing, you can purchase passlock bypass modules, the ones I know of are used in situations where someone wants to install a remote starter. You would just want to make sure you get the right module and install it correctly, or have someone do it for you. When you insert your key into your car's ignition, there is a chip inside that makes contact with a sensor in the ignition and that allows your car to start. What the bypass module does is simulate the signal that would be sent from the key if it was there and that allows the car to start without a key. I suppose if you did some messing around you could get one of those modules to work for purposes where a remote start isn't the reason it is being used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macman90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macman90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
leard1

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for reply. This car is driving me nuts. It broke the T.C. and after getting that fixed, can't get the fuel-pump to come on. Relays , fuses are all good and engine seems to run fine when jumping terminals. 30 and 87, and everthing seems to work. SES and wrench light are on, but scanning shows NO stored codes. This is low end L100 and I,m not even sure it has tha Passlock system . Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help leard1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

passlock system was just any key had to be in the ig nition. not like immobilizer keys that have to have a correct programed key

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
macman90

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
passlock system was just any key had to be in the ig nition. not like immobilizer keys that have to have a correct programed key

Could you be more specific? There were at least two different versions of Passlock, on the L Series, on mine at least (2002 L200) The key cannot just be any key, it has to be a key that is chipped with a code to match the car, hence the high cost of replacing keys if you loose all of yours.

And as for whether or not your car has passlock, there is an easy way to check. When you turn the key to the "run" position, or when starting the car, if you see a light on the instrument cluster light up that says "security" you have passlock and that light tells you that it is operational.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help macman90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
leard1

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yes, it has the security light. After fixing the T.C., when I went to start it, the security light was flashing so I did the crank sit in run for 5 minutes relearn. (3 times ). What I found out later is that I may have not used the right sequence. First try was crank engine, leave key in run-then turn to off after 5 min. I saw somewhere else NOT to turn to off for 5 secs. Security light no longer comes on in run position. Another thing, all I have is a duplicate key, not the original. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by leard1 View Post
Yes, it has the security light. After fixing the T.C., when I went to start it, the security light was flashing so I did the crank sit in run for 5 minutes relearn. (3 times ). What I found out later is that I may have not used the right sequence. First try was crank engine, leave key in run-then turn to off after 5 min. I saw somewhere else NOT to turn to off for 5 secs. Security light no longer comes on in run position. Another thing, all I have is a duplicate key, not the original. Thanks
Passlock relearn is suppossed to be 10 minutes not 5 for the three times.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman90 View Post
Could you be more specific? There were at least two different versions of Passlock, on the L Series, on mine at least (2002 L200) The key cannot just be any key, it has to be a key that is chipped with a code to match the car, hence the high cost of replacing keys if you loose all of yours.
L-series keys are not chipped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
leard1

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yes, you're right-I meant 10 min. on and 5 secs. off. Also, is there any way to trigger the system so I can start over? Thanks

Last edited by leard1; 12-16-2009 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: additional info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
macman90

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Really? I was under the impression that they were. If thats the case, what exactly happens in the "relearn" process? If there is nothing special about the key, then why is the relearn even necessary?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #11
ssicarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leard1 View Post
Yes, you're right-I meant 10 min. on and 5 secs. off. Also, is there any way to trigger the system so I can start over? Thanks
Just redo the relearn process. You can take the 10 minute to 12-13.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #12
ssicarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman90 View Post
Really? I was under the impression that they were. If thats the case, what exactly happens in the "relearn" process? If there is nothing special about the key, then why is the relearn even necessary?
On the S and L Saturns the passlock is in the ignition cylinder housing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #13
skywolf
skywolf is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Absolutely correct. I have remote start installed on mine and when there was an issue with it, a spare key was made at a hardware store and it started the car without a problem.

Compare that to my jetta that died in the driveway because the car erased all 3 of my keys. Had to have it towed to the dealer!

2002 Saturn L200 'Jasper' | 2011 Mazda3 SGT 'Corey' | 2011 Toyota Tacoma SR5 'Timber' | 2013 Volvo XC70 'Rolf' | 2005 Volvo XC70 'Aldwin' | "ACK and you shall receive"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skywolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skywolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
leard1

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
On the S and L Saturns the passlock is in the ignition cylinder housing.
Is there anyway of determining that the switch is the problem, short of replacing it (again)? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

This might better help you understand and not sure if you could test the resistance in the module or not

2002 Saturn L100/L200/LW200

Theft Systems Description and Operation
The Passlock™ system is a vehicle theft deterrent system which deters drive-away vehicle theft by disabling the engine operation if the ignition lock cylinder is not rotated with the proper mechanically cut key.

The Passlock™ system is made up of an ignition lock assembly, Passlock™ sensor, body control module (BCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), and either a powertrain control module (PCM) for L61 engines, or an engine control module (ECM) for L81 engines.

The ignition lock cylinder contains a magnet mounted on the lock cylinder and a Passlock™ sensor assembly mounted on the ignition module which consists of a security hall effect sensor, a tamper hall effect sensor, and output resistors. A drill proof metal shield is also staked over the sensor housing.

The Passlock™ sensor mounted to the ignition lock cylinder assembly is located inside the upper right side of the steering column. The Passlock™ sensor contains 2 hall effect sensors: a tamper hall effect sensor and a security hall effect sensor. The tamper hall effect sensor is mounted on top of the security hall effect sensor. Should someone attempt to defeat the system by use of magnetic experimentation, the tamper hall effect sensor will activate first.

The BCM has the Passlock™ controller integrated into it which controls the majority of the security systems logic. The BCM reads the data from the Passlock™ sensor continuously. If the data is correct and has been received by the BCM within a specified time, the BCM will send a coded password to the ECM/PCM. The ECM/PCM will then allow the fuel injectors to operate.

The ECM is used on the L81 engine applications. The coded password for the security system is sent from the BCM to the ECM via the controller area network (CAN) bus. If the password is correct and received within the specified time, the ECM will allow the fuel injectors to operate.

The PCM is used on L61 engine applications. The coded password for the security system is sent form the BCM to the PCM via the class 2 data link. If the password is correct and received within the specified time, the PCM will allow the fuel injectors to operate.

The IPC contains the security telltale. The security telltale has 3 modes of operation: Off, flashing, and on.

Security telltale will be off if:
The ignition is in the OFF position.
The ignition is in the RUN, START, or ACC position and the security system diagnostics have all passed.
Security telltale will be on if:
The BCM is performing a bulb check at vehicle start.
The security system diagnostics have not yet completed at vehicle start.
A security system diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is set in the BCM or ECM/PCM.
Security telltale will be flashing if :
The tamper hall effect sensor has been triggered.
The incorrect Passlock™ sensor data to the BCM for more than 5 seconds during vehicle start.
No Passlock™ sensor data has been sent to the BCM for more than 5 seconds during vehicle start.
The security telltale will also flash when the content theft system is in the armed mode.
Security System Operation
The Passlock™ system is designed to prevent vehicle operation if the mechanical key is not used to start the vehicle. The mechanical key, in normal operation, will turn the Passlock™ lock cylinder. The Passlock™ sensor, which is mounted to the Passlock™ lock cylinder assembly, sends data by circuit 1836 to the BCM. The Passlock™ sensor is powered by circuit 812 from the BCM. The Passlock™ sensor is grounded by circuit 1057 to the BCM. The BCM determines the validity of the Passlock™ sensor data within a preset time window based on the ignition switch input. The BCM will then send a coded password to the ECM by the CAN bus circuit 3204 or PCM by class 2, circuit 1807. When the ECM/PCM receives the correct code, it will allow the fuel injectors to operate normally.

Passlock™ Modes
Pass Theft The pass theft mode is normal operation. During a normal start up, the SECURITY telltale will turn on. The telltale will turn off when:
The ignition is turned to the OFF or ACC position
The ignition is turned to the START position and a 3 second timer has expired.
Short Tamper Mode (Fuel Disable Timer Mode) The PCM or ECM enters the short tamper mode if the ECM detects an open voltage code, 4.43-5.00 V. The BCM will send out the fuel undecided password to the PCM. The PCM will disable the fuel supply to the engine for 4 seconds. The driver usually observes a start quickly followed by a stall when in the short tamper mode. After 4 seconds a start may again be attempted, except in one situation. If the PCM/ECM receives the wrong password, for example a new BCM was installed without following the relearn procedure, the security telltale will flash for 4 seconds and remain on, and the fuel injectors will remain disabled until the correct relearn procedure has been completed.
Long Tamper Mode The BCM enters the long tamper mode if the BCM receives the wrong voltage code at an attempted start. The BCM will then send a disable fuel message to the PCM/ECM. The PCM/ECM will then disable the fuel injectors. The driver experiences the same start quickly followed by a stall. The fuel will be disabled for 10 minutes and the security telltale will also flash.
Fail Enable Mode In the fail enable mode, the engine is allowed to run normally because the fault occurred while the engine was running. The security telltale will remain on whenever the engine is running to alert the driver there is a problem with the Passlock™ system and there is no Passlock™ system protection. The engine can be restarted in the fail enable mode. Whenever the engine is running, the Passlock™ system constantly monitors itself. The BCM monitors the circuits between itself and the Passlock™ sensor. The BCM and PCM/ECM also monitor each other through the serial data link. If a problem is detected, diagnostic trouble codes will set and the security telltale will be on when the engine is running.
Diagnostic Trouble Codes
In either the short or long tamper mode, the BCM or the PCM/ECM will set diagnostic trouble codes. Each module should be checked for DTCs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #16
Golden Rocket
Golden Rocket is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The Anti-theft Pass lock/Pass Code system described is the same for the 2002 L3 (3.0L V6). So Mitchel is great at describing what is SUPPOSE to happen when turning the key as well as what is SUPPOSE to be indicated by the light. Is there any help out there for this issue - I have the DTC P1632 - which is the fuel lock is enabled. Tech 2 tells me that the fuel lock is enabled - I can not over-ride it. I also used the Solus Pro (Snap-on Scanner) which had also told me the code was present. It also told me that the key learn was not enabled and the key pass code was not learned - this after two times of performing the re-learn process. What I had noticed (should did not notice) was that there was not operation at all of the "SECURITY" light (could illuminate with the Solus (manually), as well as with the key fob when locking). For all intents - it would seem the re-learn process has failed.

How can I determine which component is at fault for initiating the fuel lock process (Ignition swith and magnet, BCM or ECM). There has to be a simple bypass - something that will not allow the voltage signal to be fed to the BCM (short of cutting a wire).

Tks for any help

Used to be a Saturn admirer - now that I have one - not the same!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Golden Rocket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Golden Rocket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Golden Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

passlock system just needs any key in the ignition to start. immobilizer keys need a proper programmed key to start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote