SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 12-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
Flynnst0ne
Flynnst0ne is on a distinguished road

Default Directional Signal Bulb Replacement Brand NEW AURA

Hi all,

So I just picked up my 2009 Aura XE this past Tuesday. It wasn't easy finding a Saturn dealer in my neck of the woods (Central New York - Utica) either! The only one still selling cars is in Albany 90 miles away.

So here's my story...

After all the paperwork was signed and checks had passed hands and I'm being "introduced" to all the features of the car, the sales guy shows me where the hazard light swith is and pushes it. Now I'm in the drivers seat looking at the front of the car in the relection of the glass and I notice that the passenger's side light didn't illuminate so I ask him to stop and check this out. Sure enough the bulb is blown (very obvious). So I say "no problem, I changed these bulbs on my other vehicles it takes about 2 minutes, pop the hood" Boy was I wrong! There was no way to get that sucker out! I could turn it from the locked position but there was no room to pull it out. I looked at the driver's side and got that one out in about 10 seconds. Passenger side, no way, by the way it's 8:15pm at night. So the sales guy calls the service manger who informs him that it's a 2 hr job requiring the front end to basically be disassembled... (did find a previous thread on changing out these bulbs)

So I'm 90 miles from home with a brand new car that couldn't pass the New York State motor vehicle inspection if it had to! Now I can't just come on back tomorrow. So they assure me that they will find someone in my area the next day to perform the surgery. So I took the car home, and what a great ride it was.

I have to go to Syracuse (only 50 niles away) to get it taken care of, but since I had to be there anyway, I kind of lucked out. My main concern now is that the front of my brand new car has to be taken apart. What kind of issues will arise from this? Who was the flunky who designed that one!

Sorry for the rant... I'm just happy and disappointed at the same time. Kind of weird.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Flynnst0ne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Flynnst0ne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Flynnst0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Directional Signal Bulb Replacement Brand NEW AURA

It is a stupid design. I have changed my bulbs in the front a few times here and you basically have to take the entire headlight assembly out. To do that you have to remove a whole bunch of splash guards, and loosen the bumper so it can come down then you can get at the bolts that hold the light in and take it all out. Kind of a pain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnst0ne View Post
My main concern now is that the front of my brand new car has to be taken apart. What kind of issues will arise from this? Who was the flunky who designed that one!
None. It's made to come apart. It's been apart before.

I admit, it's not the best design, but it's not terrible either. Only takes a couple minutes to get to the bulbs.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I admit, it's not the best design, but it's not terrible either. Only takes a couple minutes to get to the bulbs.
If it only takes a couple minutes to get to the bulbs why is the Saturn dealer saying it's a 2 hour job?

Is the headlamp bulb as difficult to replace as the turn signal bulb?

What do you do in 2 minutes to get to the bulb? Some sort of short cut?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
If it only takes a couple minutes to get to the bulbs why is the Saturn dealer saying it's a 2 hour job?
Thats just how they do things. Take any time estimate they give you and divide it by 8 to get a more realistic time.

I can do an engine swap in a Saturn S-Series in under three hours. I think the dealer book time is 12 hours.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

hopefully when Saturn actually shuts down all GM dealers will do work on you Aura and you won't have to drive all those miles. In the meantime you can try calling GM dealers around you and see if they're willing to do warranty work on your Saturn.
Unfortunately, that is what you get for buying a car from a dead brand. I hope you got a great deal on your new sweet ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
I hope you got a great deal on your new sweet ride.
I know I did. I paid less than 10K for mine a month ago and its a year old.

I'm not worried about warrenty work since it's a clone of three other GM cars. In fact if I ever need to take it in, I could take it to the Cadillac dealer that took over the Saturn dealerships inventory I bought my car from. I also talked to friend of the family who is a service writer for a GMC/Buick dealership. He said I could also always bring the car to him as well.

But I dont forsee ever taking it to the dealer or a mechanic. I received my factory service manuals Monday, so I should be able to tackle anything that comes up. These things arent rocket science. It's just a car. The tools to work on them a just a little more complicated.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
Flynnst0ne

So I was able to get the bulb replaced.

But now I find out that Saturn upped their incentive from $4K to $5.5K, one week after I closed the deal. And since I traded in my old '99 Eclipse I would have received an additional $1K for being a Non-GM owner!

I feel sick...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Flynnst0ne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:

But now I find out that Saturn upped their incentive from $4K to $5.5K, one week after I closed the deal. And since I traded in my old '99 Eclipse I would have received an additional $1K for being a Non-GM owner!

I feel sick...
I wouldnt be too upset about it. No matter how good of a deal you get, there's always a better deal to be had elsewhere or later.

As time gets closer to when all Saturn dealers will be closed, there will be even better deals.

As long as you feel you got a good deal at the time of the sale, then its all good.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
How long did it take you? Did you have to remove the bumper?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Flynnst0ne

I actually got to the Saturn dealer in Syracuse. They are not selling cars anymore but their service department is still open. (for now)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!