SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Power door lock switch failed

The power door lock switch failed on the drivers door on my VUE. The day before it failed it was raining. I was at a drive thru and noticed more water than usual leaking inside the VUE on the inner door panel. The next day the switch stopped working.

You'd figure the switch was at least water resistant. The replacement switch was made in Japan and cost around $22 with shipping. You have to remove the inner door panel, and insulation system to replace it.

I was very impressed at the amount of insulation Saturn used in the door, and the custom insulation panel. My SC had almost zero insulation.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
My own VUE
My own VUE is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Power door lock switch failed

Interesting. Do you have a link to where you bought that door switch for future reference??

Thanks,

Ian

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to My own VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help My own VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
My own VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Saturn of Glen Burnie... aka... getsaturnparts.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

When I get back to New Orleans, I'll do a post mortem on the failed switch.

I'll see if it can be resurrected with possibly some contact cleaner. If water can get into the switch, then a solvent cleaner should also.

Yesterday it was 8 degrees in Chicago, today it was 22 degrees. It felt much better...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The power door lock switch is made by Alps. It uses the same construction as a computer keyboard with a pc board and a rubber plunger with a contact material.

This type of switch design does not tolerate water or liquids well.

Cleaning it did not help. All I can suggest is do your best to keep rain, or any cleaning fluids from entering the switch.

I can post pictures of the switch if anyone is intersted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Wow, they used an ALPS switch? thats an actual quality brand name. I would've expected either unmarked or delphi\delco

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrtube's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrtube reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
atasha
atasha is on a distinguished road

Great. I just want to know, when you remove your door lock switch. Did you remove your entire door panel or is it the other way around? Can I do the replacement by myself with manual?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atasha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atasha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

You have to remove the whole inner door panel. The power door lock switch has an 8" wiring pigtail with a connector on the end. It takes a bit of work to get your hand inside the door and operate the tab to unplug the wiring connector.

I did it without the manual. Here's what I remember, I'm in Philadelphia...

You have to remove the door handle cover-prys off from the bottom (2 screws behind it), high frequency speaker cover-prys off from the top (1 screw behind it), and remove push pins on the side of the door; and the door panel should pull off. It's a bunch of clips holding it to the door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!