SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Remember the GM EV1 Electric Car Leased by Saturn?

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Remember the GM EV1 Electric Car Leased by Saturn?

Quote:
Darryl Siry from Wired: The GM EV1 was an electric vehicle that was a technical triumph for the time. It generated passion-fueled controversy that still reverberates today. The technological innovations of the EV1 went well beyond the battery pack, inverter and AC induction motor that propelled the car without using any gasoline. The lead-acid battery pack could store only 17 kilowatt-hours for the first generation, roughly equivalent to half a gallon of gasoline. As a result, GM engineers had to do everything they could to reduce the weight and aerodynamic drag of the car to achieve a workable range.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Starduster_Sat
Starduster_Sat is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Remember the GM EV1 Electric Car Leased by Saturn?

Typical GM subversive behavior- create something innovative, and then find ways to kill it. Being repeated as we speak.

How many of these survive?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starduster_Sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starduster_Sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Starduster_Sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starduster_Sat View Post
Typical GM subversive behavior- create something innovative, and then find ways to kill it. Being repeated as we speak.

I think there are *maybe* a few...I know that there is one in Wisconsin at the University of Wisconsin that was reverse engineered by some engineering students.

The majority of them were crushed in the Arizona Desert. All you need to do is watch/rent "Who Killed the Electric Car" to see the carnage left by GM in the wake of the EV-1.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

yeah I remember the EV1 and saw several of them parked outside Saturn offices in Troy back when they were called the "Impact".

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quite a few were donated to museums. I know in the Detroit area, the Detroit Science Center and the Henry Ford Museum both have one. They had a computer part removed so that they are not driveable.

I saw one a few years back driving around Troy, MI, (long after they were all destroyed or donated), so I assume GM must still have a few that are still operational. I didn't get close enough to verify that it had manufacturer plates, but it was definitely an EV1 and I was quite shocked to see it.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Kimosen
Kimosen is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Was this post specifically desgned to provoke trolls?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kimosen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kimosen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
... and I was quite shocked to see it.
<Rim-shot>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosen View Post
Exceedingly unlikely, given that it was started by the forum administrator, and that half of the replies come from long-standing highly-valued active forum contributors, and that it takes a tight stretch of the imagination to consider any of the other replies even remotely troll-like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Arrow Re: Remember the GM EV1 Electric Car Leased by Saturn?

Quote:
Nope, its just part of SaturnFans.com's month-long "flashback" at Saturn.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
Quite a few were donated to museums. I know in the Detroit area, the Detroit Science Center and the Henry Ford Museum both have one. They had a computer part removed so that they are not driveable.

I saw one a few years back driving around Troy, MI, (long after they were all destroyed or donated), so I assume GM must still have a few that are still operational. I didn't get close enough to verify that it had manufacturer plates, but it was definitely an EV1 and I was quite shocked to see it.
It's kind of unfortunate really, that GM only marketed the EV-1 as a lease vehicle and only made them available in the Southwest part of the U.S. Then again; I have read the the lease payments on them was excruciating..

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

They had EV-1's at one of the many GM drive and compare days that I went to here in San Diego, so I've actually driven one. Great torque off the line, but they had 30 EV-1's on the field in order to keep 6 running on the track with 24 on charge at all times.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

It was so sad to see them over on Riverside collecting dust. You can still find charging stations around the LA area not sure if they are working anymore. I still can't believe they canned the program in favor for the Hummer brand? Time will tell if the Chevy Volt will be a hit, for GM's sake it better. I think America wants a 40MPG Suburban more than an electric car.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttreibel View Post
I think America wants a 40MPG Suburban more than an electric car.
This is very, very true. Looks how well vehicles like the Flex and Lambdas are doing. Huge vehicles with tons of space and decent fuel economy. A 40mpg Suburban would outsell the Volt by a huge margin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Kimosen
Kimosen is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
<Rim-shot>

Exceedingly unlikely, given that it was started by the forum administrator, and that half of the replies come from long-standing highly-valued active forum contributors, and that it takes a tight stretch of the imagination to consider any of the other replies even remotely troll-like.
It just seems like every time someone mentions the EV1, ten people jump on the "GM is the stupidest company evar" bandwagon. It gets tiresome to read.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kimosen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kimosen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
It just seems like every time someone mentions the EV1, ten people jump on the "GM is the stupidest company evar" bandwagon. It gets tiresome to read.
Trust me...I would have rather seen GM continue to do R & D to improve the EV-1 over a period of 5+ years rather than seeing them take all of them into the Arizona Desert and crushing them... Granted the lease payments on them were outrageous...I would have liked to see GM take them from being a lease only vehicle to being a viable vehicle that could have been sold around the country and at least made some money.

I just read an article today that included Chelsea Sexton (who was a big supporter of the EV-1 when it debuted, and she also worked for Saturn.)...where she feels that the Chevy Volt is Deja Vu for GM all over again...

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/...r-from-the-ev1

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #15
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
This is very, very true. Looks how well vehicles like the Flex and Lambdas are doing. Huge vehicles with tons of space and decent fuel economy. A 40mpg Suburban would outsell the Volt by a huge margin.
Of course, as Americans, we gotta have bigger and better

either way, wanna see a 40mpg+ suburban? this is what you'd have to do:

1) offer a diesel
2) put a warm ram intake on that diesel
3) make it a V6 hybrid
and 4) not make the diesel complete CRAP

...and even still you'd prolly get around 27-30MPG.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #16
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

They actually made Diesel Suburbans back in the day. Rumors were the new smaller V8 diesel would find its way into light trucks and SUVs. But that probably won't happen now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
They actually made Diesel Suburbans back in the day. Rumors were the new smaller V8 diesel would find its way into light trucks and SUVs. But that probably won't happen now.
Yeah, except they need to bring em back. I know Low Saturn would be all over that thing..

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

a straight electric car would be a tough sell in the minnesota climate .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #19
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starduster_Sat View Post

It was the fact that the "GM" has a brand name that I was expecting the saturn brand, pontiac brand, et, al. To be rolled in to one unit. Alas, poor saturn, we knew knew thee well.

The Impact, or EV1, what ever it was is a perfect example of when engineers designe a car withthe over sight of a true marketing dept.

No back seat?
costs HOW MUCH!?!
40 miles range?
plastic panels?
Semi-exotic materials?

But as an engineer, I can say that without a marketing dept to keep us honest, you would get more cars like this.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
It was the fact that the "GM" has a brand name that I was expecting the saturn brand, pontiac brand, et, al. To be rolled in to one unit. Alas, poor saturn, we knew knew thee well.

The Impact, or EV1, what ever it was is a perfect example of when engineers designe a car withthe over sight of a true marketing dept.

No back seat?
costs HOW MUCH!?!
40 miles range?
plastic panels?
Semi-exotic materials?

But as an engineer, I can say that without a marketing dept to keep us honest, you would get more cars like this.
Don't you mean, "as marketing, I can say that without engineers to keep us honest, you would get more cars like this"?

Sales & marketing will invent and spins all sorts of not-ready products and blame engineering for foot dragging on the "cold fusion battery" or whatever wish-list product is not ready for prime-time. To then not look bad, the marketing folks will throw out some half-assed product that mimics the original idea, give it a shiny coat of paint, then apply a catchy product name that evokes some dreamy desire fulfilled.

Clearly this was a case of marketing trying to push something onto the public that wasn't ready. I doubt the engineers wanted this in the public's hands ... the lease approach was a compromise to pull these back in when marketing was finished having its fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote