SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
JoeFromPA
JoeFromPA is on a distinguished road

Default Servicing or replacing 03 Ion Ignition Switch - Looking for some unique help

Hey all,

My father in laws 03 Saturn Ion (now with Zero bearing noise!) is now acting up again.

I'm familiar with the basics: ignition switch relies on grease for conductivity. Grease hardens in ~32 or less weather. Trips security system. Wait 10 minutes and sometimes starts up like there's no problem.

I need to fix this for them fast: I work full-time and I'm in business school as well finishing up finals right now.

Here's the unique aspect: the original owner of the car has this special Saturn security system that has a unique fob you need to have on your key ring. Says "Identity" on it. Supposedly cost $600 or so and is an anti-theft device.

Does this make anything different about replacing the ignition switch? How about re-programming the passlock sequence?

Lastly, I'd like to re-confirm the sequence of fixing this:

1. Remove cover on top of steering column (plastic cover) by pulling up.

2. Remove lower cover of steering column by removing a few 7mm screws/bolts and pulling down.

3. Remove black-box ignition switch under the steering column via a torx 15 driver.

4. Either replace the black box with newer design, or...

4a. Take apart black box, wipe off some old grease somewhere in there, and replace with new di-electric cold temperature grease?

5. Reverse installation and then follow pass-lock re-learn sequence.

On #5: is there a possibility of seriously screwing up the car if the sequence is interrupted for any reason? I just want to cover my bases.

Joe

08 Subaru Legacy GT
06 Honda Civic SI
Former owner of a 2003 Saturn Ion 3 5-speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeFromPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeFromPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
rickystarshine
rickystarshine has a spectacular aura aboutrickystarshine has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Servicing or replacing 03 Ion Ignition Switch - Looking for some unique help

Search the links at the bottom of this page, I bet the answer is in there...

2005 ION 2 5 spd 202,155 miles
2001 SL1 Auto 298,252 miles
1997 Sl1 Auto 163,266 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickystarshine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickystarshine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rickystarshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
JoeFromPA

Default Re: Servicing or replacing 03 Ion Ignition Switch - Looking for some unique help

I've spent an additional 20-30 minutes looking through stuff and I did find some nice how-too videos.

However, I have yet to see any mention of the "identity" key fob that needs to stay with both the remote lock/unlock fob and the car key.

Is anyone familiar with this system and whether it modifies the ignition switch replacement procedure?

Thanks,

Joe

08 Subaru Legacy GT
06 Honda Civic SI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JoeFromPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I've never heard of an additional security package when I went to build my car on the website, nor any mention of an "identity" labeled fob.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
JoeFromPA

Hmm, well crap. I guess that makes it a dealer add-on (all I know is that it was bought at the dealer at the urging of the salesperson).

Guess I'll just replace the ignition switch as normal and pray that they don't have some bizarre security system that disables the car

08 Subaru Legacy GT
06 Honda Civic SI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

just replace it, don't waste time trying to clean/regrease it. And yes, that extra system you have is an add-on, it did not come from the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
just replace it, don't waste time trying to clean/regrease it. And yes, that extra system you have is an add-on, it did not come from the factory.
how? if they get a new switch, it's possible the aftermarket system feeds off the passlock signal from the switch. when you get a new switch, the resistance changes, making passlock send a "bad" signal. hopefully this will not stop you from being able to setup passlock.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
jonny772
jonny772 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

I guess it all depends on what you think is easier/better. Buying a new ignition switch for 30ish dollars and taking your car apart to get it in. Or taking apart your old ignition switch and cleaning/regreasing it with the correct grease that might cost a couple dollars. I did the latter a while back and its worked fine ever since. Either way you have to take a few things apart, whats one more thing (the ignition switch) going to hurt? The switch can be a little bit of a pain to take apart and put together, at least it was for me, I was trying to be careful. But slow and steady works, and if you are even a little mechanical and look at the videos on the internet it should work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonny772's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonny772 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonny772 is offline   Reply With Quote