SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
MrSL2
MrSL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn oil leak

What are the most main causes for an oil leak? I can never catch it in the act, but today when I was putting the old harmonic balancer back on there was a little oil leak. I thought I was burning the oil but maybe I am leaking it. Its a 96 with 126xxx miles. Is it possible to be burning oil without anykind of symptoms? It doesn't smoke a lot or anything ever since I fixed the CTS. Also I did notice some sludge build up on the sub frame of the car when I was under there today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
elitemarksman
elitemarksman is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn oil leak

I know my SC2 burns a bit of oil, though there isn't any smoke. I usually use about 1/4 of a quart during a 280 mile highway trip, usually running at about 3200 rpm the whole time. I forget how it does around town, been awhile since I've driven around town.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elitemarksman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elitemarksman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
elitemarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
hholbein
hholbein is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Since yours is DOHC, eliminate the possibility of a Valve Cover gasket leak.

Take some paper tissues or TP and wipe around the back and sides of the head looking for fresh oil seepage. Might also be worth peeking in the spark plug wells with a flashlight (particularly #1) to see if there's a mini oil sump in there.

You might also want to check whether the oil drain plug is tight and that the oil filter (above the balancer, I think) aren't leaking/dripping.

You don't need to be leaking a whole bunch of oil to make a mess in the engine compartment, from my experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
MrSL2
MrSL2 is on a distinguished road

I did the valve cover gasket, and that didn't seem to help any in terms of oil loss. I was thinking maybe the oil pan gasket, but I got to examine that one before I start pulling it off. I'm losing like 1/2 qt for every fill up probably. Honestly I want to rip the whole motor out of the car, replace all the stupid things like gaskets, and what not and not have to worry about anything for a while. I love my Saturn, but all of these little quarks are getting annoying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

That level of burn isn't unheard of. If it's "leaking" 1/2 qt per tank you should be seeing a lot of fresh oil on the engine if it's a leak. Look closely at the rear passenger side of the VC around #1. Any oil in the plug holes after changing the gasket?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
Nichals
Nichals is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

same thing with me
im shure some is due to burning of oil but i know im leaking most of it
it gets on the belt and ends up spraying all over the engine so its hard to find
i replaced the front seal re torqued all the timing chain cover bolts nothing fixes it so far but its helped a little

im about to re seal the chain cover and the oil pan just need the time to do it
ahh the pain of it all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nichals's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nichals reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nichals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

If it's getting on the belt, the likeliest culprit is the harmonic balancer (aka crankshaft pulley bolt). like the OP from 9 months ago.

Remove the bolt, clean the back of the washer and the front of teh pulley where the washer would contact with acetone, and put a very thin finger smear of RTV or similar sealant on both contact surfaces. reinstall, torque to 159 ft/lbs.

Clean up the area, leaving the car up on jackstands, run for 30 seconds. Get out and look for leaks. If no leaks, run a little longer and check again.

Might also be right below that, where the timing cover meets the oil pan, or the cam cover where the timing chain cover meets the head (you are supposed to put a dab of RTV there when putting on a new gasket). Those are the only places I can think of where a leak would end up on the belt.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
technogeek1984
technogeek1984 is on a distinguished road

Alright guys I'm new to the forum here, and also new to Saturns. I just bought a 96 Saturn SL1 a couple of days ago. Unfortunately it has an oil leak. I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and had them look at it. After 9 hours yesterday they told me "they couldn't find a leak anywhere." Drove it home, guess what, oil leak again. I'm losing about 5-6 ounces after it's been parked, and I know I'm losing it while driving.

It is dripping from passenger side of the engine, and low and behold, after about 5 minutes I found the leak myself. It's coming from where the oil pan meets the motor behind the crankshaft pulley. I have pictures and everything. What I'm wondering is if this is a DIY fix. I noticed there's a brace underneath the car that covers a large part of the drivers side portion of the oil pan. I'm guessing a brace or support for the trans?

At any rate, I'm new to saturns, and I want to do this work Right the first time. I was reading elsewhere that there's not a gasket for this part. What's the correct sealant to use on this if I were to replace it?

Thanks in advance for all the help. I tried to attach some pics but had trouble. I think I may need to replace the whole pan because the edges I can see behind the pulley look warped. I'll try again in a bit.

BTW, I'm a technology geek, so if anyone has computer or smartphone questions (which I know is off topic) I'll help any way I can. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to my time here.

J

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to technogeek1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help technogeek1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
technogeek1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Saturn oil leak

I had a similar leak of the pan below the harmonic balancer recently. I thought it was the balancer or its bolt at first, but when I pulled them I discovered that the pan bolts had worked loose. When I tightened them it only squished out the old sealant, so I had to pull the pan. That's relatively easy to do, requiring only to jack up the pulley end of the engine and insert a 2x4 piece or something between the upper motor mount and the body end of the mount to hold it up (for bolt access and so you can drop the pan down past the suction tube).

You will have to drop the brace piece (no big deal) and also have to disconnect the exhaust pipe from the header, otherwise there is pretty much no possible way to get the pan past it.

After cleaning ALL of the old sealant from the pan (a wire brush and propane torch works nicely) and using the Permatex sealant in a cheeze whiz can, it seems to have stopped.

I also used the same sealant on the balancer bolt.

It is definitely a do-able DIY job, you just have to be willing to get dirty and have the tools of course.

Oh, and of course replace the balancer seal while you're at it just for good measure. It's only a few bucks. A seal puller pry bar works wonders.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 205k.

1996 SL2

I had this same exact oil leak type of issue. The first and only thing I did was tighten the oil pan nuts. There are lots of them and some are hidden under the brace piece.

You have to be careful not to over tighten the nut heads as I understand it they are easy to break.

A 1/4in ratchet with different extensions reached many of the nutheads. Then many of the others I tightened with a small boxend where the ratchet would not go.

This got rid of the oil accumulation points but soon learned after I needed to concentrate my major oil consumption search in other areas.

Again, be very very careful not to break the nutheads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
jhonky
Advanced Member
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

so i have an oil leak. it is not a bad leak...i've been on this oil for about 2300 miles and still says it is topped off. here is a picture of the 2 verified leaks i've seen. the smaller circle was about 5 days ago...between then and today i've checked a few times when parked at work for 12+ hours, and seen nothing. go out there this morning, and saw the second picture, much larger puddle, but can't be but a few ounces. i jacked up the car and i don't think it is from the drain; i think it is from the filter. filter is m1-209. would it leak if i tightened it too much? i always hated how it would say turn the filter til the gasket touches and give it another 3/4 turn or whatever

the smaller puddle is about 4 inches in diameter, the larger puddle(the one under the car in the picture) is about 12 inches in diameter

i tried tightening the filter and it barely moved. if i tightened it too much(used my hand of course) would it cause a leak?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130910_112629.jpg (210.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg saturnfans pic.jpg (132.9 KB, 28 views)

98 SL2
5th gear swap
215000 miles
35-37mpg

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Recheck your drain plug. Do you remember if you have a gasket on it when you last changed the oil?

If the leak was from the oil filter flange you would see oil on the drip guard, drive axle or cradle. If you changed the oil recently it may simply be dripping out of the cradle.

Hand tightening the filter will not cause leaks unless the filter is defective, improperly installed or has a damaged seal.

Look around the valve cover also as the leaks can drip down. This is much more common than the oil pan leaking.

The crank pulley bolt seal is also another vector for leaks but not as common.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
jhonky
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

i saw a drip forming on the surfaces directly below where the filter comes into contact with the engine. i'll try to get a picture of where the drip originates from later. i don't think i had a gasket on my drain plug, in both my saturns i just unscrewed the plug to drain the oil. haven't had the problem in the prior 5 oil changes with this saturn so i thought maybe i tightened the filter too much.

98 SL2
5th gear swap
215000 miles
35-37mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

There is a drip guard just below the filter. Wipe that out and see if the oil returns. If gets wet again it may be the filter gasket. You did wet the gasket with a light smear of oil when installing correct?

If the guard stays dry and there is still a drip on the ground in that area, check the cradle for any spilled oil that may be leaking out from the last filter change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
jhonky
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

i did wet the filter gasket. if the drip guard is what i think it is, that is where it is. cars been parked where it is now for slightly more than 4 hours and its dry underneath. when i first noticed the 4 inch diameter puddle, i looked about 5 different times after the car had sat for several hours and saw nothing, which made me think it wasn't from my vehicle. the puddle this morning was new and certainly mine. just don't get how it will leak sometimes and sometimes not. and how it didn't leak for the first 3 weeks on the new oil. don't think the oil leak is from the previous filter change

just sucks cause i was about to buy all my exhaust stuff and now i'm hesitant because i might have some issue. but i guess if it keeps leaking i can just top it off regularly. a 12 inch diameter puddle is not much oil

98 SL2
5th gear swap
215000 miles
35-37mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
toggenburg
Advanced Member
toggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to alltoggenburg is a name known to all

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

1998 SW2
2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

That last oil change, the filter gasket stayed on the old filter, not on the engine flange (ie double gasket ='s leak)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:48 PM   #17
carfreak09
carfreak09 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

My 97 SL1 is leaking about a 1/2 quart per 400 miles or so. The front of the engine is wettest on whatever pump is below the AC compressor. There are oil stains around the first 2 spark plug wells though they are more filled with crud as if the oil leak has happened over time. Much fresher oil is dripping from that lower pump (what is that?). Is this a valve cover gasket leak or crankshaft seal? I easily drive 100 miles a day so I'm getting tired of worrying about the oil level every 3-4 days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfreak09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfreak09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfreak09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #18
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak09 View Post
My 97 SL1 is leaking about a 1/2 quart per 400 miles or so.
That is almost an expected oil consumption rate for a SL.

Quote:
The front of the engine is wettest on whatever pump is below the AC compressor.
The pump below the AC (with the three bolt pulley) is the water pump. Are you sure what you are seeing there is oil? Are you slowly losing any coolant?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
sallydriver
sallydriver has a spectacular aura aboutsallydriver has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

I once chased an oil leak for months, only to find I hadn't tightened the crank pulley bolt tight enough.

2006 DiamondBack Response Sport "Thor" 21spd :1,200 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 300,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 AM   #20
carfreak09
carfreak09 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
That is almost an expected oil consumption rate for a SL.

The pump below the AC (with the three bolt pulley) is the water pump. Are you sure what you are seeing there is oil? Are you slowly losing any coolant?
Definitely no coolant loss. It is definitely leaking oil. When I park it, it immediately starts dripping oil on the ground. It doesn't leak a huge puddle, but its enough that I park it in the grass and not on my driveway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfreak09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfreak09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfreak09 is offline   Reply With Quote