SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
PSDFan
PSDFan is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1994 SL2
Default Rear quarter panel replacement

It was 15 degrees here this morning and I had a deer run into me on the interstate and took out my passenger side electric mirror, passenger window, the freakin' DOOR HANDLE (how he managed to take off a flush mount handle I'll never know!) and just destroyed the right rear quarter panel. I'll be stopping at a local pick&pull to see if I can find a color match panel and wanted to know if there are any "nice to knows" about pulling one off? Any hidden screws? It's going to be colder tomorrow and I don't want to spend any more time than I have to in the JY. I'm pretty comfortable removing the door skin to replace the glass.

'98 SL2
'94 SL2 H.C.E. (finally)
'01 Ford F350 7.3 Turbo Diesel Crewcab 4X4
St. Joseph,Mo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PSDFan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PSDFan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PSDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: Rear quarter panel replacement

Tell us this was the '98, and not the HCE!

Take out the taillight; there's something behind it. There are two 10mm-head bolts/nuts going thru the bumper into the QP. The "orthodoxy" is to remove the bumper, but if you take off the inner wheel well, you can reach those two and keep the bumper in place. Oh, and IIRC, you have to lower that black plastic rocker panel, and there are some fasteners revealed when you open the door. No gas cap on that side makes it a little less complicated.

What color?

Same thing happened with my door handle; the panel flexed inward, the handle was, momentarily, protruding, and in wound up in Bambo's gut. It actually cracked the pivot mechanism that the handle was attached to. The door structure was also caved in some, and I had to pull it out in order to get the handle to fit with the door skin installed. Watch for that; the skin, being flexible, will hide it, and you'll wonder why you can't put the pivot and handle on with the skin in place.

Neither door skin was damaged? Lucky you? I lost the mirror, windshield, rear door skin, quarter panel, and sustained some concealed damage to the front door skin, and the A-pillar/roof front moulding.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
PSDFan
PSDFan is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1994 SL2

Yea, luckily it was the '98 and not the HCE. I checked Richpin's videos and found all I need. I was really surprised how easy the window glass replacement is. I'm going to check the handle pivot point before I go to the JY to see if I need that. My '98 is "champagne" so it may not be too hard to find a match. Doesn't sound like I took near as much damage as you did. The little SOB just bounced off and kept running

'98 SL2
'94 SL2 H.C.E. (finally)
'01 Ford F350 7.3 Turbo Diesel Crewcab 4X4
St. Joseph,Mo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PSDFan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PSDFan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PSDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

That is why you are supposed to carry a rifle, then you can shoot it in the a** as it bounds off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

At least yours might have an excuse; car is almost the same color. The one who hit me managed to mistake a purple station wagon with two bikes on the roof for his next date.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote