SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
JeffTheJoc
JeffTheJoc is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Thumbs Up How to Recycle Motor Oil

Here is an article from eHow.com about how to handle your used automotive oil and where to take it. Recycling of oil is usually free of charge. Being environmentally friendly has never been so easy!

http://www.ehow.com/how_9165_recycle-motor-oil.html

Please visit Jeffery's Junction for Vintage Glass, Art Pottery, and LP Records:
www.jefferysjunction.ecrater.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JeffTheJoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JeffTheJoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JeffTheJoc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2
Default Re: How to Recycle Motor Oil

My local recycling outfit (which pretends to be part of the state gov't but is not) handles oil recycling at several of its regular recycling drop off centers. There's a tank for the oil, a bin for the used filters, and another bin to chuck your oil-laden plastic jugs into. All right next to each other.

I used to play the game of having to get a shop to accept the stuff, or wait around for the dipstick at Jiffy Lube/Pep Boys/Wal Mart to come dump it into their oil collector...

Since I have an S-Series, I have an easy system: Four quarts out of the 5 qt. jug goes into the car, the other one goes into a quart bottle to be burned off between oil changes, and the old stuff goes back in the jug. Repeat until I have enough jugs kicking around in my basement, load into trunk of Saturn, drive to recycle center. Repeat!

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_DgZ View Post
I used to play the game of having to get a shop to accept the stuff, or wait around for the dipstick at Jiffy Lube/Pep Boys/Wal Mart to come dump it into their oil collector...
back about 10 yrs ago the pep boys I used to go to usually just let me dump my old oil into their bin. I'd occasionally get some crap about if it was just oil cause I used an old 409 jug that I got from work. the Jiffy lubes around here now won't accept used oil unless you "abandoned" it which really only would work if you use containers you don't care about "losing"

car bought 12/15/07
car MIA as of 7/29/09, recovered 8/5/09

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsl293's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsl293 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

They have to worry about people giving them oil that's got large amounts of water or antifreeze or brake fluid or whatever the heck in there, which causes problems with the oil recycling company they send it to.

All the ones I used to go to demanded I fill out forms with my name, address, driver's license number, etc. and sign off under oath that the stuff was not contaminated.

Taking it to the local recycling center is just about ten times easier. They even have a sign that says flat out that they'll also accept any other oil-base automotive fluid including transmission fluid, brake, and steering fluids. Just no antifreeze, they have a separate tank for that.

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote