SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
bstarkwe
bstarkwe is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default 2004 Ion QC Chime Problem

I have a 2004 Ion QC with 34K miles and recently the chime for everthing has stopped working. This means no seatbealt reminder, no headlights on reminder and no turn signal clicking. The chime began getting weak last week and now is gone completely. Does anyone where it is located and what is required to replace it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bstarkwe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bstarkwe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bstarkwe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Ion QC Chime Problem

you need a new instrument panel, it's on the back side.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
bstarkwe

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

is the instrument panel expensive and difficult to replace?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bstarkwe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

expensive? yes, you have to buy a new one or if you can find a matching used one (same year range, 03-04 only), and the dealership has to reprogram in your original miles to own a legal car, so the dealership has to prove your original miles by looking at your original odometer, then install the new one and program. check with your local dealership to see if they will reprogram a used one and let you replace it, but be prepared to pay for a new part installed by the dealership.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
ChargerIon
ChargerIon is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Question Re: 2004 Ion QC Chime Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
expensive? yes, you have to buy a new one or if you can find a matching used one (same year range, 03-04 only), and the dealership has to reprogram in your original miles to own a legal car, so the dealership has to prove your original miles by looking at your original odometer, then install the new one and program. check with your local dealership to see if they will reprogram a used one and let you replace it, but be prepared to pay for a new part installed by the dealership.
Would this replacement be included in a extended warranty??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChargerIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChargerIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChargerIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
bstarkwe

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Is there any way to just remove the defective chime from the instrument panel and replace with a chime from a used instrument panel?

I may just end up with no chime, avoiding expensive repair costs if the whole panel has to be replaced and installed by the dealer.

The local Saturn dealer is difficult to deal with, I attempted to talk about the problem with them and they said they would have to look at the problem and could not offer any advice without paying for it. I thanked them for their lack of help and support, and told them their customer service was terrible and a few other choice words that will remain left from this post then left. They must be trying to get every dollar before shutting the doors.

I hesitate to have them look at the problem because they would charge by the hour and have to tear everything apart just to tell yes you have to replace the instrument panel and it will cost a bunch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I do not recommend soldering on a very expensive component like the instrument panel, even if you know what you are doing you might mess up an otherwise working part. if you have the money and inclination to replace it legally, then you might try looking at if the solder joints are easy enough to get at to do it yourself, otherwise it might not be worth it. plus, the circuit, or even the program might be at fault, so replacing the chime speaker might not do it. sorry to have to tell you this, but this is one of the parts on the car that cannot just be swapped out for a junkyard one, for a couple reasons. you might want to try to find a chevy dealership willing to help, the only drawback there is factory warranty work will often not be allowed (by the service manager), but if you aren't under factory warranty, you would be fine and pay the same amount as a saturn dealership. non dealership mechanics cannot do this work for you, either.

an extended warranty should cover this, yes.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Rob Ril
Rob Ril is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstarkwe View Post
I have a 2004 Ion QC with 34K miles and recently the chime for everthing has stopped working. This means no seatbealt reminder, no headlights on reminder and no turn signal clicking. The chime began getting weak last week and now is gone completely. Does anyone where it is located and what is required to replace it?
Not to give any mislead hope to anyone trying to solve this problem, but I read in another post something about holding down the last preset on the radio (while the car is on and radio is turned off) and this will adjust the volume and turn on/off the chimes. I'd try that before replacing the instrument panel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob Ril's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob Ril reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rob Ril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ril View Post
Not to give any mislead hope to anyone trying to solve this problem, but I read in another post something about holding down the last preset on the radio (while the car is on and radio is turned off) and this will adjust the volume and turn on/off the chimes. I'd try that before replacing the instrument panel.
So if this procedure is valid would it give me a "test" Chime while adjusting the volume and/or turning chimes ON/OFF? Curious what other buttons or how many cycles of the preset would be required...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
Tubagod767
Tubagod767 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Would a used instrument panel be able to be reprogrammed by the dealership to the proper mileage (readily available for a '04 ion2 on ebay)? Also do the other gauges recalibrated with this reprogram procedure as well?

On a side note, keeping the mileage stored in the instrument panel seems like an extremely poor design and really easy to defraud people by replacing this part with a low mileage used item.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tubagod767's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tubagod767 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tubagod767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

When you replace the ip without programming it, as far as I know, it freezes in place, and it may not even let the gauges work. This actually makes it impossible to defraud it. You CAN have a dealership program a used one to your vin, but good luck finding one that will.most will only program one that's new and from them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #12
ctbosox
ctbosox is on a distinguished road

Well, I just had to try the "hold last channel button on the radio" thing,, no it didn't work, I'll just have to go with the advise I got on here a couple years ago,, either change the speaker or live with no chimes,, been living with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ctbosox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ctbosox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ctbosox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
mr.
mr. is on a distinguished road

I tried to take my 03 ion apart to see if I could figure something out. I ended up with a tac. That does not work and a digital mileage display that u can not read.... don't take it apart. I like to think of my self as a handy guy being a shop teacher and all. This is one that I knew just bright to get myself in trooble

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr. is offline   Reply With Quote