SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Remote key fob problems

My remote key fob has been "cutting out" recently... it will just stop working, so I have to lock and unlock the car with the key or inside lock switch, then in a few hours or the next day, it's back to normal. Does this mean I need a new battery? I've had the car for 28 months.

If I do need a new one, how do you replace it? I'm assuming it's probably a "watch" battery but I see no screws to disassemble the fob. Can I just pry it open with a knife or screwdriver? TIA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
megsaturn
megsaturn is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Re: Remote key fob problems

you can just pry it open. you can get the battery at radio shack. I did this but the remote still doesn't work. I was advised to get a new remote.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to megsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help megsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
megsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

probably need new battery but auras are known for bad clips that hold the battery in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Re-solder the batter clip to the board. Very common problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svenster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
MYGSXR1000
MYGSXR1000 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenster View Post
Re-solder the batter clip to the board. Very common problem.
yes they do brake i have fixed a few for a buddy and mine to just re solder it works great.

my aura is fun and love to beat up on v8 mustangs and firebirds with it lol. but if you want a fun toy for the snow by a subaru and if you want something fast by a gsxr 1000 10.50 at 147 mph qt mile.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MYGSXR1000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MYGSXR1000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MYGSXR1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
Stryker
Stryker is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Had the same issue with both fobs. Changed the batteries in both and vwalla...good to go. For a 2008, some kid must have been playing with them for the batteries to go out so soon. My 2002 Jeep fobs have lasted since...well...before the Aura was conceived.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stryker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stryker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
bleedscarlet
bleedscarlet is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

and here I thought I was the only one, I've been opening it every week or so and pushing the clip back in place. I was afraid to solder it, but if it's that common then I'll just go ahead and fix it.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
http://www.avi-nation.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bleedscarlet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bleedscarlet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bleedscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
mmj12345
mmj12345 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I have the same problem, on one of my fobs the battery clip is detached from the circuit board. Problem is, I don't have a soldering iron or anything. Anyone know if there is some sort of glue that might work?

Purchased my first car on 8-20-08:
2008 Techno Gray Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmj12345's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmj12345 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmj12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Gibbles
Gibbles is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

We had both of our keyfobs fall apart on us, I finally went down to a chevy dealer and had it replaced, it has been working great.
Cost about $70 installed (you have to use the tech2 for a new fob)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gibbles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gibbles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I bought an extra pair of remotes on eBay (new - less than $15 each delivered) and had my dealer program them (for no charge) when my car was in for service. It is a 5 minute job for them.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
Badman
Badman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Just FYI I havent tried it and it was on my 2000 Saturn LS2. I went to the dealer and the first thing he did was put the key in and turn it to ACC and then went on to hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for a few seconds. even though it didnt work (wasnt the original remotes). I figured this was a process they know before using a Tech II. and only charged me $40. All dealers should charge the same but they dont. Some will do it for free, I guess this is after they had payed for the Tech II. I know the newest model is about $3000 and the older ones run about $8000.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Nope, that does not work on the Aura. You need to have them programmed on a Tech II.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
trpal
trpal is on a distinguished road

I had same problem. Remote would not work, bought new battery at Radio Shack
but after a week or so it stopped working. Dealer wanted $85 to fix. Solution I discovered was to put a piece of Paper(business card thickness) between clips and battery. It has worked perfectly ever since!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trpal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trpal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
scotydoc
scotydoc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2009 Astra XE

Another process is cleaning the battery contacts with a soft lead pencil erased. Oil and corrosion coat the contacts,oils from your fingers. Same with battery's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotydoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotydoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Iamwithu
Iamwithu is on a distinguished road

I have a 2008 Aura. The remotes and the tire pressure monitor wouldn't work. I replaced the batteries with no change. I went to the GM dealership and they reprogrammed the remotes and tire monitor for a total of $96 with tax. 2 weeks later the remotes died again. I took them back and they told me the battery contacts were bad and for $275 they could replace and program 2 more. I resoldered the contacts and both work normally. No reprogramming needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Iamwithu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Iamwithu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Iamwithu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #16
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
My remote key fob has been "cutting out" recently... it will just stop working, so I have to lock and unlock the car with the key or inside lock switch, then in a few hours or the next day, it's back to normal. Does this mean I need a new battery? I've had the car for 28 months.

If I do need a new one, how do you replace it? I'm assuming it's probably a "watch" battery but I see no screws to disassemble the fob. Can I just pry it open with a knife or screwdriver? TIA.
My '09 just started doing this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Firewalker
Firewalker is on a distinguished road

My 08 aura had bad key fobs. They would work some of the time but it got irritating. I took them apart and indeed the contacts were broken around the battery. So that when the electrical connection was good, they would work. I took them to the GM dealer near my house, they ARE covered under the warranty. They programmed and handed me two brand new remotes at no cost. So, if you are still under warranty, go exchange them!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firewalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firewalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
Gertlex
Gertlex is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

I noticed similar behavior with one of my fobs the past couple weeks. But it worked fine the most recent time I was using the car. Bought a new battery but haven't put it in (or looked at the condition of the battery contacts).

Hrmmm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gertlex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gertlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gertlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Both of my fobs have had this issue. It's quite frustrating. My main fob was soldered twice, and was acting up again. Most recently I had to use tape to keep the battery in the right place... So there's solder all over the place and the battery is taped to the board.... But it works.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #20
greenman
greenman will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE

Pulled my fob apart & inspected the board & it looked fine so I just squeezed it back together & have had no problem since. Never had a problem with any fobs before. I have 10 year old fobs that have never even needed a new battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote