SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
heavyspitters
heavyspitters is on a distinguished road

Default 01 saturn l300 wont start

For the last few months the wrench light been on and it said it needed mass air flow sensor ive been driving for months but last night the car wouldnt start for me ..wasnt sure if i needed gas because my gas gauge doesnt work ,so i put some gas in itand it started right up. 20 dollars worth drove today for about 26miles and it shut off and wont start it putters a little then cuts off wont let me give it gas..so do u think the mass air flow finally went and if it did is it possible that i can clean it to see if that works or just buy a new one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to heavyspitters's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help heavyspitters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
heavyspitters is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 01 saturn l300 wont start

Unless you know how to retrieve the wrench codes and post them, anyone can guess what's wrong making everyone wrong. Your guess is just as good as anyone else's - just a guess. Nobody knows what's wrong unless you can have the codes read; either from Saturn or the better reader/scanners, not Autozone or any store reader. Wrench codes aren't generic and require better readers capable of reading "manufacturer specific" codes, wrench codes. Generic codes are P0xxx while wrench codes are P1xxx.

A "band aid" fix may work by removing and cleaning the maf sensor using CRC MAF Sensor cleaner sprayed liberally. If its the improved version, very little cleaner is needed but there are no guarantees that the maf sensor is the problem or if there are several problems here.

Your last description seems to describe "reduced power" mode or what's commonly known as limp home mode where the engine power is reduced to less than 1/3 to allow driving to a safe place. The reduced power indicator, a car with a large arrow over it pointing downwards should be lit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

MAF is used to set the fuel mixture to the optimum setting. If you've been driving around for months with the wrench light on and a bad MAF, there's a very good chance you've been running rich and the excess fuel in the exhaust has burned up the Cat. So, since you didn't fix the MAF, (which would've cost you around $100), my guess is the reason the car's not starting is a plugged Cat from the burned up catalyst and you're in for a $700 to $1000 bill to replace the O2 sensor and at least the forward Cat, if not both.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
heavyspitters

thanks to both of u..i just tried to start it this morning and still nothing, just spinning real fast no catching at all, will the MAF cause that beacause even with a bad MAF I should still get a little something shouldnt I?. and speaking of the exhaust i noticed when i first got the car a little blue smoke would come out the exhaust when i first start the car in the morning and that would be it, the car ran beautifull. So i'll try the MAF first beacause that what the code read then if that doesnt do it ill just put it in the shop..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help heavyspitters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyspitters View Post
..i just tried to start it this morning and still nothing, just spinning real fast no catching at all, will the MAF cause that beacause even with a bad MAF I should still get a little something shouldnt I?. ......
Leaving this problem alone without getting the code(s) read can be detrimental to the engine and it can be a maf failure but that depends on many things. Rather than speculate on the "what ifs.....", try a cleaning first and if nothing changes, then the next step.

If you're familiar with using a multimeter you can try measuring the crank position sensor (CPS) for resistance (700-1200 ohms) and if its open (no resistance) the cps failed. It provides the timing signals to turn on the ecm in order to run the engine. If its dead the engine won't run at all - the same symptoms as you're describing. Its next to the oil filter, mounted with one bolt. Buy it where ever its sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
heavyspitters

i replaced the cps about 2months ago when it was shutting down on me and it have been running fine since then..im about to go get the maf cleaner now from advanced auto parts if not there im goin to the dealer...now how do u clean the maf sensor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Recheck the cps to be sure its its seated home; some here didn't seat theirs and caused more problems otherwise measure its resistance. Never assume it still works just because its new.....................

The maf sensor sits between the air filter box and the throttle body; remove it to access it on a bench to see if theft deterrent screws are used to hold the actual sensor inside the round housing. If there's a shoulder on the screw you should be able to grab the shoulder with a sharp pair of vise grips or needle nose pliers or use the right (theft deterrent) Torx bits to remove them. The maf sensor comes out for cleaning. Use only CRC MAF Sensor cleaner to spray clean the sensor, let dry and reassemble for testing. Be sure the two housing clamps are on securely and allow no air leakage into the housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maf sensor.jpg (74.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg slot maf sensor.jpg (11.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 0905gmhtp_04_z+crc+mass_air_flow_sensor_cleaner.jpg (68.3 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

What exactly do you mean by "spinning real fast"? When you try to start it now, is it different that when it used to start?
If it's just the starter turning without engaging the flywheen, could be as simple as a broken bendix.
Starter engaging with engine turning over faster than normal could be a sign of loss of compression or other internal failure.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
heavyspitters

just changed the MAF and still wouldnt start 2moro i will put it in the shop

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Wolfc70
Wolfc70 will become famous soon enoughWolfc70 will become famous soon enough

The "spinning real fast" does not sound good. How many miles are on the car? Have you done the timing belt service?

"I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa Romeo" - Henry Ford

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wolfc70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wolfc70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wolfc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
heavyspitters

The shop just told me it needs a fuel pump...pump priced at 300 dollars labor 150 dollars..im sick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
heavyspitters

just put the pump in..used pump..so now im selling it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Wolfc70
Wolfc70 will become famous soon enoughWolfc70 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyspitters View Post
just put the pump in..used pump..so now im selling it
Your selling the car because the fuel pump went out?

"I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa Romeo" - Henry Ford

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wolfc70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wolfc70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wolfc70 is offline   Reply With Quote