SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
vhayduk
vhayduk is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Code Help -> P1779/1780/1781

I've got 3 codes in a row

I've got these three codes on my project vue (02 V6). Bought it with problems and slowly fixing them. One of the major things I did was replace the ECM. That got rid of a lot of codes, the reduced power light etc. I can actually drive it now. Replacing the ECM was recommended by the dealer where the PO had it checked out; the PO didn't like the price and sold it to me. I found a used PCM and that is where we are today.

It runs fairly decent, but does hesitate and I can tell that it isn't totally "happy". There is an odd "clacking" noise occasionally when getting on the throttle from idle as well. And no, it's not the intake runner flaps closing. There is also a strange shift I've noticed: on the 3-4 shift the RPM drops by a few hundred, then recovers and then everything is good. I'm thinking that it may be related to this P1780 code.

Any guru's have the full definition for these codes (with troubleshooting info)? P1780 seems to be a torque reduction code posted on here before; can't find a (Saturn/GM) definition for P1780/P1781.

FYI: These codes (along with many more) were also present with the old ECM.

Thanks!

Vince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vhayduk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vhayduk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vhayduk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Code Help -> P1779/1780/1781

Vince,

See attached trouble code explanations ...

I've got zero practical experience with this engine / transmission so can't offer any assistance other than service manual extracts.

Good luck to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DTC P1779.pdf (37.1 KB, 143 views)
File Type: pdf DTC P1780.pdf (37.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: pdf DTC P1781.pdf (37.6 KB, 26 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Those three error codes seem to run around in circles and ending with ecm replacement. Since you replaced the ecm with returning symptoms...............

A shot in the dark; remove the maf sensor completely, disassemble the small circuit subassembly from its housing tube and use a can of CRC MAF Sensor cleaner to spray the sensor clean. If theft deterrent screws are used, figure it out, just have access to the maf sensor for cleaning. Reassemble everything and cross your fingers.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
vhayduk
vhayduk is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the replies.

Funny that they all lead to replace ecm I do have another (third) ECM, so might pop that in just on the off chance that the used ECM I put in had issues before I got it.

Thanks for the tip on the MAF sensor. I'll be doing the 100k service right away just to rule out a bunch of things (spark plugs, timing belt jumped a tooth); while I'm doing that, I'm going to clean the MAF and TB and make sure the connections on the TB are good. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something.

Vince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vhayduk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vhayduk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vhayduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

The Aisin 5-speed auto will exhibit strange shifting under some conditions, and it is sensitive to the correct fluid (T-IV rated) and fluid level. I have been using Valvoline Max Life Dex-Merc with good success on my annual drain/fill. Checking the fluid is hazardous, as the dipstick is way down by the engine oil pan on the driver's side. Checking routine is typical - fully warmed after driving or putting the selector in all positions momentarily and with engine at idle. Take it out twice to be sure of the reading - do not overfill or run it low. If you drain/fill, make sure of correct level first, adjusting as needed. About 4.5 qts will drain - put 4.5 qts back in through the dipstick tube. There may be a fill plug on top of the trans housing but I've never looked for it. This gets about half the fluid, so do it at least three times over maybe a year to get some use out of the new fluid, which isn't cheap. Each time you drain it, you're draining recent fluid along with the old.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote