SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
gatorgabe7
gatorgabe7 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Bypass A/C compressor?

I have a 2002 L200 and the serpentine belt snapped on it. We replaced the belt, but we have noticed that the A/C compressor wheel(for lack of a better term) wasn't spinning. I was wondering if anyone had bypassed the compressor and just went with a smaller belt around the crank pulley and the alternator. If so, what size belt was used? I need to do this as a temp fix 'til I can get a new compressor. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gatorgabe7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gatorgabe7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gatorgabe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Bypass A/C compressor?

Look closer; if the engine can run and the new belt turns, the compressor pulley is spinning. You may not see the belt moving over the pulley (mark across the belt with white-out/chalk/nail polish/paint/whatever) so it will contrast against everything as it moves. You should see one part of the compressor (center front portion at a standstill) not turning but the belt moving around the compressor pulley; there's a very large bearing that hardly wears out otherwise no belt will stay on and SCREECH LOUDLY as soon as the engine is started (if the engine will run at all if this pulley were truly seized). Hopefully you won't have to guesstimate a belt replacement and resort to finding a shorter belt.

If the compressor pulley bearing is seized and the belt burns (with no one contributing a definite solution), you'd have the measure the blue line dimension to subtract from the overall belt length in order to arrive at a length short enough to work without a compressor. You'd have most likely less than an inch/25mm as a margin of error; the belt tensioner needs to be in the mid to three quarters of its travel stroke to apply the most tension on the belt to effectively maintain tension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt drive L200.jpg (108.6 KB, 47 views)

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

Last edited by fdryer; 11-23-2009 at 10:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Av8r
Av8r is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post the belt length in case someone needed it. My A/C compressor just started going last week, so I decided to bypass it. I used a 35 5/8" size belt and it fit perfectly and the tensioner keeps it nice and tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Av8r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Av8r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
calauni
calauni is on a distinguished road

Thank you for giving us the belt size. I'm going to try this right away. My ac compressor locked up and now I need to bypass it until I really need to repair it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to calauni's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help calauni reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
calauni is offline   Reply With Quote