SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
gatorgabe7
gatorgabe7 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Bypass A/C compressor?

I have a 2002 L200 and the serpentine belt snapped on it. We replaced the belt, but we have noticed that the A/C compressor wheel(for lack of a better term) wasn't spinning. I was wondering if anyone had bypassed the compressor and just went with a smaller belt around the crank pulley and the alternator. If so, what size belt was used? I need to do this as a temp fix 'til I can get a new compressor. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gatorgabe7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gatorgabe7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gatorgabe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Bypass A/C compressor?

Look closer; if the engine can run and the new belt turns, the compressor pulley is spinning. You may not see the belt moving over the pulley (mark across the belt with white-out/chalk/nail polish/paint/whatever) so it will contrast against everything as it moves. You should see one part of the compressor (center front portion at a standstill) not turning but the belt moving around the compressor pulley; there's a very large bearing that hardly wears out otherwise no belt will stay on and SCREECH LOUDLY as soon as the engine is started (if the engine will run at all if this pulley were truly seized). Hopefully you won't have to guesstimate a belt replacement and resort to finding a shorter belt.

If the compressor pulley bearing is seized and the belt burns (with no one contributing a definite solution), you'd have the measure the blue line dimension to subtract from the overall belt length in order to arrive at a length short enough to work without a compressor. You'd have most likely less than an inch/25mm as a margin of error; the belt tensioner needs to be in the mid to three quarters of its travel stroke to apply the most tension on the belt to effectively maintain tension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belt drive L200.jpg (108.6 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 11-23-2009 at 10:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Av8r
Av8r is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post the belt length in case someone needed it. My A/C compressor just started going last week, so I decided to bypass it. I used a 35 5/8" size belt and it fit perfectly and the tensioner keeps it nice and tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Av8r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Av8r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
calauni
calauni is on a distinguished road

Thank you for giving us the belt size. I'm going to try this right away. My ac compressor locked up and now I need to bypass it until I really need to repair it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to calauni's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help calauni reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
calauni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Look closer...
you'd have the measure the blue line dimension to subtract from the overall belt length in order to arrive at a length short enough to work without a compressor. You'd have most likely less than an inch/25mm as a margin of error; the belt tensioner needs to be in the mid to three quarters of its travel stroke to apply the most tension on the belt to effectively maintain tension.
Season's Greetings Folks. I haven't been around much, but I can proudly mention my 08 Sky and 02 Lw wagon are still going strong.

Um, except for the wagon's AC compressor seizing up, throwing the serpentine, and stranding me interstate on Xmas day. Regardless, the car and I are both home and safe. I'd like to just go without AC for now. It's 9F degrees over here, and the condensor could now be hosed. I can revisit this bag of sh1t in the Spring.

For belting without the compressor, I keep finding values mentioned for the 2.2L but nothing on the 3.0 ( 2003 LW300 v6 )

I've had no matches for those Dorman AC compressor "Dummy" stand-in pulley for the 3.0 .Even using the "VUE" . I just don't get it. I may resort to using SAAB 9-5 queries soon.

Anyone have any advice on the two options, here?

-Mike

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 12-29-2017 at 07:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Wagonsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Wagonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

S-W, ac compressors can seize if powered up. When turning off ac, power is removed from the electric clutch coil, releasing the clutch plate (bolted to the compressor shaft). The compressor idler pulley is free to spin. Are you saying the idler pulley bearing is seized and cannot spin? You can pull the ac fuse and ac relay (together if you like) to disable any attempt of the hvac system from powering up the clutch coil). Or remove the drive belt and try to manually spin the compressor pulley (it should spin freely). A seized compressor pulley presents the same problem as other posters here - measuring for a shorter drive belt to bypass the compressor (if clearance allows this).

The ac system isn't damaged when something breaks and leaks out all the refrigerant. 98% of all ac failures are about damage when a leak releases all or most of the refrigerant in a system. When this occurs, the ac pressure sensor detects the pressure loss and sends a disable signal to the engine computer. The engine computer disables the ac command signal to power the compressor, preventing the compressor from running. This is automatic. No button pushing can force a broken ac system to run. If a large hole occurred or a crash ripped ac tubing apart, taping off the open ends keeps debris out for later repairs without concern for contamination entering a damaged system. Parts remain intact until time is allotted for full repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2017, 11:34 PM   #7
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My L300 had the compressor bypassed with a shorter belt. I think the belt the previous owner had used was a little too short. It put a lot of stress on the tensioner. But it can be done, I put about 15,000 miles on the car before I moved on to L200 cars. Sorry I donít have a belt number for you.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car finally on the road!
2002 L200 grandson's car now
2002 LW300 sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:25 AM   #8
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
S-W, ac compressors can seize if powered up. When turning off ac, power is removed from the electric clutch coil, releasing the clutch plate (bolted to the compressor shaft). The compressor idler pulley is free to spin. Are you saying the idler pulley bearing is seized and cannot spin? You can pull the ac fuse and ac relay (together if you like) to disable any attempt of the hvac system from powering up the clutch coil). Or remove the drive belt and try to manually spin the compressor pulley (it should spin freely). A seized compressor pulley presents the same problem as other posters here - measuring for a shorter drive belt to bypass the compressor (if clearance allows this)...............
Good to hear from you , Fdryer. I just did the timing belt, tensioner and pulley kit, water pump , etc, and also installed a new serpentine in Sept and all was fine. There were no prexisting issues with the AC. I had no accident and the system was not leaking. Of course, I was not using AC on December 25.

Off the interstate, with no other options than my new serp belt in hand, I installed the belt anyway. Sure enough the crank turns over and the other pulleys cooperate, and the new belt is running over the frozen compressor pully and the entire belt starts to smoke. I am confident my problem will disappear when this 15 year old seized compressor is removed from my car.

I understand about the pressure switch concept and had to unplug it actually to remove the blower box to get at the engine mount. I did experiment with the connection active and inactive as well as cabin AC settings after this second smoking incident. Underhood relay and 30A fuse were checked. However, the condition remained.

I will still be looking for the belt size for this override on the 3.0 L . If I have no luck, maybe I'll just throw a junkyard compressor in there so I can get Amps, Steering, and Temp back.

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
Sir Wagonsky

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
My L300 had the compressor bypassed with a shorter belt. I think the belt the previous owner had used was a little too short. It put a lot of stress on the tensioner. But it can be done, I put about 15,000 miles on the car before I moved on to L200 cars. Sorry I donít have a belt number for you.
Gotcha. Since I'm not sure if I am going to restore the AC, I plan to do the same for now. Or use the bypass pulley. (Example)
https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/ND...xw/s-l1600.jpg

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 12-30-2017 at 12:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may one of the few with a seized compressor pulley bearing. It's unfortunate to burn up a perfectly good drive belt. If this were my problem, I would try beating on the pulley to see if the bearing can free itself. The drive belt would have to removed. Ball bearings are usually sealed for long term reliability and unusual for this one to seize. Flood damage when the car was driven or parked with water up to the bumpers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Sir Wagonsky

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
You may one of the few with a seized compressor pulley bearing. It's unfortunate to burn up a perfectly good drive belt. If this were my problem, I would try beating on the pulley to see if the bearing can free itself. The drive belt would have to removed. Ball bearings are usually sealed for long term reliability and unusual for this one to seize. Flood damage when the car was driven or parked with water up to the bumpers?
No floods, but Pennsylvania winters are hard on cars. Rust is an issue for everybody. People blame the rock salt and "prawn?" anti-icing spray they use. I've treated this car for subframe rust already. Also full brake line runs and fuel cell straps, due to rust failure. She's mostly cleaned up now.

But the clutch and pulley are rusty. I was able to drop the lower mud panel, ( while disabled roadside ), and without belt, bang it as hard as I could without damaging the pulley. Nothing moves. That thing was a brick.

In a week, it is predicted to be above freezing. Then I'll pull the compressor, to examine it inside on the bench. I'll report what I find.

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Wagonsky View Post
......I'm not sure if I am going to restore the AC......Or use the bypass pulley.
While in the process of installing a by-pass pulley you're half-way through with an R&R job on the compressor (if that is what must be done). Of course, we are little concerned with air conditioning during the winter, but Summer will come and it will be needed then. Is it therefore sensible to attempt a by-pass pulley installation when it will eventually have to be removed so that air conditioning may once again be functioning? If the compressor is removed then,
1) either repair it, or
2) install a replacement.
You wouldn't need to charge the a/c system with freon for the time being, although it would be better if you did. Otherwise...

IMO, it's better to find a shorter serpentine belt like the one mentioned by 02 LW300. It would be more cost effective over all - at least in the short run - even if it places more stress on the tensioner. It appears to me that an air conditioner by-pass pulley is not available for the Ellesmere 3.0L V6. (But I'd be happy to be wrong about that!)

284,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
Sir Wagonsky

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
While in the process of installing a by-pass pulley you're half-way through with an R&R job on the compressor (if that is what must be done). Of course, we are little concerned with air conditioning during the winter, but Summer will come and it will be needed then. Is it therefore sensible to attempt a by-pass pulley installation when it will eventually have to be removed so that air conditioning may once again be functioning? If the compressor is removed then,
1) either repair it, or
2) install a replacement.
You wouldn't need to charge the a/c system with freon for the time being, although it would be better if you did. Otherwise...

IMO, it's better to find a shorter serpentine belt like the one mentioned by 02 LW300. It would be more cost effective over all - at least in the short run - even if it places more stress on the tensioner. It appears to me that an air conditioner by-pass pulley is not available for the Ellesmere 3.0L V6. (But I'd be happy to be wrong about that!)
Thanks for looking into the bypass pulley, Pierrot. I had no luck finding one, either. I guess this option for my 3.0 is going to be pretty much a unicorn hunt. They're everywhere for Ford, Dodge, and other GM. Including Saturn2.2L .

Current plan moving on, is with belt override or compressor replace. I just did 4 struts and front stabilizers in Sept, Then the timing belt, pulleys and water pump ,( including buying the timing belt installation tool kit, which I definitely recommend for DOHC ! ) new battery in November, and now this issue. If I wasn't buying these parts on the cheap, and doing the work myself, it would have exceeded the KBB resale value of the car at $1500. And the PS unit was starting to squeak recently. I have a bottle of BAR's "shut up" in there.

I have the Sky for hot sunny summer days. Plus I have a Ford here. This LW is really just my utility wagon. Front wheel drive for rainy days and winter.

Last note about Air Conditioning. The Sky's AC was not working last summer.
I had the "engine light" warning me to check codes, but I ignored it, whereas I would commonly throw O2 sensor codes from time to time.

When I finally went in to delete the code, the code was for the "expected temp not met " P0128 if I recall .. Apparently the t'stat fails, and the computer has trouble determining the coolant temp, and disables the AC to protect the engine. ECM also manages engine like it is always "cold" .. didn't really notice that, however fuel efficiency suffers. Replaced the thermostat, ( and temp sensor ) and the AC restored. Discovered .7 MPG increase as well.

Happy New Year's Everybody !

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 12-31-2017 at 09:25 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

All things considered, serpentine belts come in several configurations; number of grooves, material used and length. If a very good parts person is knowledgeable and not just another parts jockey, he or she should be able to discern from part numbers and nomenclature, belt length. The big step is this person's ability to simply use knowledge to find a belt length from customer requests (you measuring as accurately as possible for a custom belt length) with only one caveat; no returns on used belts if the wrong dimension is given. If a new belt is simply put on and found too long or too short then return for exchange is possible with the same parts person assisting to select the next size with a final fit. Its easy to imagine old school 'V' belts and sizing them by length and use (light, medium, heavy duty construction) in ye old days or farms and other industries where 'V' belts are still used. Whether anyone can find this scenario is found in auto stores across the country........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^Exactly right! I would like to think that I was one of those parts store countermen who matched fdryer's latter description. He's absolutely right about serpentine belt numberings and sizes. On my car, for example, the Gates belt part no. is K050405. The number breaks down as follows:

1) "K" - serpentine type
2) 05 - number of grooves
3) 0405 - length in inches, 40.5.
Other companies may use millimeters for the length with a number like 5PK1030 (note the similarity of the part number except that the order is partially altered).

Assuming that there's a store with a buyer's guide containing information on all lengths of belts available, a good counterman should be able to discern a belt size which will cover your need fairly closely.

284,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
Sir Wagonsky

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
^Exactly right! I would like to think that I was one of those parts store countermen who matched fdryer's latter description. He's absolutely right about serpentine belt numberings and sizes. On my car, for example, the Gates belt part no. is K050405. The number breaks down as follows:

1) "K" - serpentine type
2) 05 - number of grooves
3) 0405 - length in inches, 40.5.
Other companies may use millimeters for the length with a number like 5PK1030 (note the similarity of the part number except that the order is partially altered).

Assuming that there's a store with a buyer's guide containing information on all lengths of belts available, a good counterman should be able to discern a belt size which will cover your need fairly closely.
Once I get the engine mount out of the way I can "measure it out" using the original failed belt I have here. It's one long strip.

Good info on the belt code, Thanks Guys. That sounds familiar. I have the jacket from the recent belt that's on the car. It's CarQuest / Dayco 5060795. "50" may mean serpentine, and "6" could be grooves. But I'll probably be calling Dayco, Gates, A/C delco or Felpro customer service directly with the specs. Their websites should list customer service numbers.

These Auto shops around here, if you don't know exactly what ( non-shelf ) you're looking for, forget it. They're good help, don't get me wrong. This is all part time help, and they have their inventory database, that's it. I've done mods and retrofits in the past. They don't go outside the box.

A lot of times, I purchase the parts online (web discount) More often than not, said parts are not in store inventory, but parts ordered by 8PM will be at the store by noon the following day. And I just pick it up.

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 12-31-2017 at 08:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2017, 08:21 PM   #17
Sir Wagonsky

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Wagonsky View Post
Once I get the engine mount out of the way I can "measure it out" using the original failed belt I have here. It's one long strip.
Oh Yeah ... once I get the length measured, using the code I should be OK.

http://crossbelts.com/serpentine/6ribkseries.html

☠☠☠☠☠ DADS GARAGE ☠☠☠☠☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!