SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default GM May Complete Saturn Shutdown by the End of March, Not October 2010 as Previously A

A new feeditems entry has been added:

GM May Complete Saturn Shutdown by the End of March, Not October 2010 as Previously Announced

Quote:
From AutoWeek: "All of our efforts will be to sell down our remaining 2009 inventory," Susan Docherty, GM's vice president of U.S. sales, said today at a press event. "We'll have a little bit of carryover of that into the first quarter of 2010, but the objective is to keep our inventory somewhere between 425,000 to 450,000 units." Docherty said she is confident that GM will clear out the 2009-model-year inventory by January. Meanwhile, the company likely will shutter its Pontiac and Saturn brands by the end of the first quarter, Docherty said.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2
Thumbs Down Re: GM May Complete Saturn Shutdown by the End of March, Not October 2010 as Previous

Yeesh.

This sucks.

Well; at least there will be plenty of S-Series parts in JYs for me to pick up over the next couple of years, and the timeframe for S-Series parts isn't up until 2012.

GM is such a crock. As has been discussed on here; I really can't stand the way the company has basically run itself into the ground.

The only other Saturn I would consider buying now used would be another S-Series or a 2005 VUE...nothing past 2005.

Words escape me on GM...

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac will become famous soon enoughVUEmaniac will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
Default Re: GM May Complete Saturn Shutdown by the End of March, Not October 2010 as Previous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Yeesh.

This sucks.
Yeah, but it's not like we haven't seen this coming for a long long time.

I wouldn't mind picking up a low-mileage 1st gen SC2 as a commuter beater.

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.

-Winston Churchill-

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2
Default Re: GM May Complete Saturn Shutdown by the End of March, Not October 2010 as Previous

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
Yeah, but it's not like we haven't seen this coming for a long long time.

I wouldn't mind picking up a low-mileage 1st gen SC2 as a commuter beater.
I know....just that with the way GM has been operating lately; this announcement of closing 6 months before previously mentioned, is like adding salt to a fresh wound. It's like the final nail in the coffin that is already buried in the ground.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

To bad for for those that bought our inventory

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn 51 View Post
To bad for for those that bought our inventory
Bahahahaha

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

Parts for the 3rd gen sl's and sc's should be available till 2017 which will be 15 years after the last model was produced. I own one of the last SL's it was made in July of 2002. I also own a 2006 Ion which I consider one of saturns last babies, and am hoping on keeping it running for several years to come. I will not miss the dealerships as I almost never went to one but I will miss the fresh blood that a good car line brings to the SFF.....

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

in this weeks [November 23, 2009] Detroit Auto Scene, Docherty said "In terms of the wind-down of both Pontiac and Saturn, it's progressing very nicely"

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Maybe Penske will give it one last try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttreibel View Post
Parts for the 3rd gen sl's and sc's should be available till 2017 which will be 15 years after the last model was produced. I own one of the last SL's it was made in July of 2002. I also own a 2006 Ion which I consider one of saturns last babies, and am hoping on keeping it running for several years to come. I will not miss the dealerships as I almost never went to one but I will miss the fresh blood that a good car line brings to the SFF.....
Actually the federal mandate is that parts are still made available up to 10 years after the last model year. So in this case S-Series parts HAVE to be made available for sale until 2012; not 2017.

This is for ALL car manufacturers. Anytime a car is stopped from manufactuer; the parts have to be made available up to 10 years after the last model year was produced.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Devil Re: GM May Complete Saturn Shutdown by the End of March, Not October 2010 as Previous

Keep smiling while you spin this story, Susan Docherty. One day if your sales don't meet expectations they'll decide that you too are expendable and you'll walk the plank just like Cynthia, Annette and Jill did before you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
Keep smiling while you spin this story, Susan Docherty. One day if your sales don't meet expectations they'll decide that you too are expendable and you'll walk the plank just like Cynthia, Annette and Jill did before you.
Jill took early retirement.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac will become famous soon enoughVUEmaniac will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Big no neck guy walks into Jill's office:

"Youze got a nice retirement there, Jill. Be a shame if something was to happen to it. Maybe it's time to retire."

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.

-Winston Churchill-

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
OK so they let her walk off the ship at some island rather than throw her off into shark infested waters. Either way, I doubt it was the career move she was contemplating up to a few months ago. Read about Jill's career and you'll find that she was a sales and marketing star just like Docherty is now. I'm sure Susan Docherty is smart enough to know she will get a limited time period in which to succeed with a marketing strategy that produces high sales figures or her time on board will be numbered. I wish her well, as should millions of other US taxpayers who have skin in this game.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
05SaturnRL
05SaturnRL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In favor of not having a future position with GM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05SaturnRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05SaturnRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05SaturnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
teshika33
teshika33 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Why does this not surprise me. The higher ups who make these decisions are the ones who need to go, not the Saturn brand. Volkswagen, here I come! I will never invest in any vehicle by GM again. That company is running themselves into the ground more and more.

Saturn ION 3 (2007, gone with the wind)
Saturn SL1 (2001, sold)

Volkswagen, here I am!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to teshika33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help teshika33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
teshika33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
They call it "early retirement" when forced-out and otherwise retirement eligible. Jill gets an extra financial incentive to retire early if she agrees to go "quietly" ... both parties then save face in the public eye.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
They call it "early retirement" when forced-out and otherwise retirement eligible. Jill gets an extra financial incentive to retire early if she agrees to go "quietly" ... both parties then save face in the public eye.
When you're an accomplice to gross mismanagement of a multi-billion dollar brand into the toilet, I guess saving that last shred of face is important.

A case study in why it might be better to hop off the gravy train early if you have no real authority to do your job.

Rick Wagoner also got off pretty easy considering that he actually had the authority and the stick when this plane was flown into the ground.

-Winston Churchill-

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #19
Dutchman1954
Dutchman1954 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Kooler King;1547231]They call it "early retirement" when forced-out and otherwise retirement eligible. Jill gets an extra financial incentive to retire early if she agrees to go "quietly" ... both parties then save face in the public eye.[/QUOT

I bet that there was a non compete clause with her "retirement" as well as the non disclousure clause aforementioned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dutchman1954's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dutchman1954 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dutchman1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

[QUOTE=Dutchman1954;1547249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
They call it "early retirement" when forced-out and otherwise retirement eligible. Jill gets an extra financial incentive to retire early if she agrees to go "quietly" ... both parties then save face in the public eye.[/QUOT

I bet that there was a non compete clause with her "retirement" as well as the non disclousure clause aforementioned.
Non compete? Based on past performance, you'd think GM would pay a bonus if they'd run over and work for Toyota.

-Winston Churchill-

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!