SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Negligence0
Negligence0 is on a distinguished road

Default Huge tranny issue

Lately, it has become impossible to get my car in gear, and when i was driving, the car would only **** into gear at around 1800rpms

i drove from home to school about 45 min, and when i got off the exit, i put the car in nuetral, and after that i coudlnt get the car back into gear, and sat there for 10 minutes, i finally got it to grind into 3rd and barely made it to my building.

Side note - even when it was impossible to shove the car in gear, it did not grind, and when shifting gears, it did not grind, it fell right into gear if i left it pushed against it.

About 5 hours later, i went to my car to get my stuff and just to see, i tried putting the car into gear, and to my disbelief, it went it every gear no issue except for reverse

the car was not running but im almost positive it didnt do this before then

I changed the tranny fluid this weekend, it did not help whatsoever

Does anyone have any clue whats going on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Negligence0's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Negligence0 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Negligence0 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Huge tranny issue

Well...it would probably help to know the year, model, and whether it is an automatic or manual....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Negligence0
Negligence0 is on a distinguished road

sorry about that...1995 saturn sl1 manual 123k miles, clutch supposedly installed aorund 25k ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Well...it would probably help to know the year, model, and whether it is an automatic or manual....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Negligence0's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Negligence0 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Negligence0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

It's usually the shifter linkage cables that stretch out on those older SL's. Though the failure mode is usually that you get grinding into gear or inability to get into one or more gears at all. Also do you know if the previous owner ever changed the fluid in the transmission? You might want to check into that too.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Earlier SL's had some issues with the hydrolic clutch slave cylinders. I had a 1992 SL and a 1994 SC fail. The car became impossible to put into gear with the motor running, but would shift easily with the car turned off. Both failed at about 35,000 miles on mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote