SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
1999_Saturn_SC2
1999_Saturn_SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Thinking about buying a '96 SL2 that wont start/crank & is low on oil...

It doesn't do anything when you turn the key, not even a click. Everything inside still comes on and the lights aren't dim or anything. I tried to jump it, but still wouldn't crank. I checked the oil and it's really low (only a little registers on the dipstick). How can I check to see if the engine is siezed? I was thinking it might just be a starter or neutral safety switch or something... Any way I could check for them, or anything else that might cause this problem?? She said it ran and drove fine until one morning it just wouldn't crank. No warning.

The car is right down the street from me. An older lady owns it, she wants $500 for it. 134,000 miles, leather, sunroof, automatic transmission, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999_Saturn_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999_Saturn_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999_Saturn_SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Thinking about buying a '96 SL2 that wont start/crank & is low on oil...

Did you try turning the pulley at the bottom of the engine? It should be the bottom most pulley on the s-belt.

Also you did check the battery connections and voltages right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Thinking about buying a '96 SL2 that wont start/crank & is low on oil...

Sounds like a dead battery. Check the Volts with an inexpensive voltmeter ($10 from autozone, maybe $20 at the most.)

You should have 12 Volts registering with the car sitting. If it's less than that, then the battery needs to be replaced.

The only other things that may be playing havoc here are a faulty starter (but the car may or may not start), or a bad alternator (car would start and would run slow/sluggish on electrical items.)

Take the battery and get a "Load" test done on it...I would be willing to bet that the battery has a dead cell in it, esp. if owned by an older person, the car may only be driven 1 or 2 times a week...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Take the spark plugs out. Jack up teh right side and remove teh wheel and splach shields. Put a wrench on teh crankshaft sprocket bolt and turn it clockwise only. You need to make 2 complete turns. If it turns over then it could be only a starter problem.

Buy it cheap low oil is not a real good sign of previous maintenance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

and seriously there are alot of used saturns out there shop around first you can find a good deal on one that may not have been beaten up or not properly maintained..

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
1999_Saturn_SC2
1999_Saturn_SC2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everybody. I passed on it. After I slept on it last night I decided the low oil was a red flag.

But if anybody is in Michigan around the Metro Detroit area and wants my '95 SC2, let me know. Black-gold, power sunroof (working), black leather, flip-up headlights work, 147,000 miles, automatic. I'd be cool with $900. Has reverse "delay" (not really "slam"), needs valve body I guess. I already did Wolfmans cure and had the Input nut replaced, didn't work. Shifts smooth when driving though. Cracked front/rear passenger fenders. ABS & Brake warning lights on, speed sensor I guess(?) Everything else is in good shape. Engine runs really good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn_side.jpg (138.7 KB, 11 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999_Saturn_SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999_Saturn_SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999_Saturn_SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
2ndSCowner
2ndSCowner is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999_Saturn_SC2 View Post
Thanks everybody. I passed on it. After I slept on it last night I decided the low oil was a red flag.

But if anybody is in Michigan around the Metro Detroit area and wants my '95 SC2, let me know. Black-gold, power sunroof (working), black leather, flip-up headlights work, 147,000 miles, automatic. I'd be cool with $900. Has reverse "delay" (not really "slam"), needs valve body I guess. I already did Wolfmans cure and had the Input nut replaced, didn't work. Shifts smooth when driving though. Cracked front/rear passenger fenders. ABS & Brake warning lights on, speed sensor I guess(?) Everything else is in good shape. Engine runs really good.
I had one of these, it had all the options as well but was a 5spd. If you weren't so far from Florida I would jump on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2ndSCowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2ndSCowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2ndSCowner is offline   Reply With Quote