SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
Danc922
Danc922 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
1999 SL2
Default Can loose ball joints vibrate with high speed braking?

I need to replace the ball joints that are loose/worn soon on my new 98 SL1. I've got some pretty bad vibration when I brake at highway speed that mostly goes away when I get down to city street speed. Could it be caused by the worn ball joints or is it definitely a brake problem? I know at least one of the rotors has a nice groove ground into it. Not sure about the other or the pads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Danc922's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Danc922 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Danc922 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Can loose ball joints vibrate with high speed braking?

Yes, but braking vibration is usually worn out rotors and/or cheap pads. Could be both as worn ball joints will throw the wheel alignment out and cause excessive tire wear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
sprinj76
sprinj76 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: Can loose ball joints vibrate with high speed braking?

I agree that most likely the brakes would be the cause of vibration before a worn out ball joint. If you think the ball joints are bad, cracked boots, or do not move easily, I would recommend replacing them. Having a ball joint fail while driving would be extremely dangerous.

I just recently replaced both of my lower control arms due to the boots being destroyed on both of my ball joints. I can recommend the Dorman lower control arms from Rock Auto, they fit well and were very inexpensive at only $32 per side.

Black Onyx '06 Ion Redline w/ comp package

Red '97 SC2 5-speed --sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sprinj76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sprinj76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sprinj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Can loose ball joints vibrate with high speed braking?

I witnessed a gross failure of a ball joint on an Oldsmobile years ago as I was walking to school.

A lady was driving up an off ramp from the freeway and I had noticed one of her front wheels was wobbling badly. Then suddenly the tire splayed outward at the bottom and the entire corner of the car dropped to the ground stopping her almost instantly. Anyone could plainly see that the lower ball joint had pulled out of its socket.

This was on a double A-arm suspension with a captive spring, so the spring forced the two arms apart when the joint let loose. Not quite the same setup as our cars, but scary (and close) enough.

The ramp was blocked, the car could not be pushed out of the way. The tire bent her fender as it flipped out. It was a mess. She was only going about 20mph in traffic at the time. Imagine if it had happened at 65mph?

If your ball joints are loose, yes I can easily believe that they could allow vibrations to occur or to intensify, even if the vibration is ultimately caused by something else (like warped rotors or out of balance wheels).

IMHO- Replace them before they fail somewhere or at some speed you'd rather not be at.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote