SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
ddarnell
ddarnell is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SL1 is a flood victim

My daughter has a 99 SL1 that she left in her parking lot in Virginia Beach this past week while Ida hammered the coast. She said that the water rose above the floorboards..............don't know how high, but my guess is a few inches.
The car will not turn over now. I'm a car nut, but I don't know what electronics and other critical systems are located at a level on the vehicle which may have been immersed.
I will try to determine how far the water rose and I'v instructed her to find a voltage meter to check the battery for voltage.
Unfortunately I'm on the other coast...........so I'm hoping that with help from this board I might be able to walk her or her mother through a simple diagnostic proccess. Her mother ( my wife) is currently visiting and and she's about half car guy.
Again, I understand most automoblie systems fairly well but I don't know the vehicle specifics of her Saturn.
Your help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddarnell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddarnell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
99Saturbo
99Saturbo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 99 SL1 is a flood victim

If, in fact, your Saturn is an S-Series (SC, SC1, SC2, SL, SL2, SL2, SW1 or SW2), the PCM is on the drivers side. Look up under the dash to door side. You'll see a 3 wire harnesses attached. ONE phillips-head-type bolt holds in it. If its a 2000-2002, its just behind the battery.

The BCM (body control module) is near the glove box. If the car isn't starting though, it's not the BCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99Saturbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99Saturbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99Saturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Saturbo View Post
If, in fact, your Saturn is an S-Series (SC, SC1, SC2, SL, SL2, SL2, SW1 or SW2), the PCM is on the drivers side. Look up under the dash to door side. You'll see a 3 wire harnesses attached. ONE phillips-head-type bolt holds in it.
Number of wireharness connections depends on transmission type. And 1991-1995's had the PCM held in place with a phillips head fastener. 1996-1999 had a 10mm nut to be removed at the top of the PCM.

Quote:
The BCM (body control module) is near the glove box. If the car isn't starting though, it's not the BCM.
The car is a 1999. No BCM.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
ddarnell

Thanks for the replies. It sounds as though the water would have to be quite high to drown the PCM, if it's up under the dash. Any ideas what is down around floorboard level that could have been damaged enogh to prevent the starting system to even turn over?
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ddarnell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
ddarnell

Big correction......the car is a 1991 not a 99. Someday I'll learn to type better
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarnell View Post
Big correction......the car is a 1991 not a 99. Someday I'll learn to type better
David
Still no BCM.

Most of the car inside wiring harness runs along the floor. Also the fuse box is floor level.

Could be many different things depending actually how high the water got.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
ddarnell

Thanks for your help Mike. It sounds as though the fuse box is a good place to start. Are the relays in that location as well?
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
99Saturbo
99Saturbo is on a distinguished road

Mike,
Did the S-series not use a BCM at all? If so, then what does "GM" use to control all the functionality of the internal electronics?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99Saturbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99Saturbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99Saturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Mike,
Did the S-series not use a BCM at all? If so, then what does "GM" use to control all the functionality of the internal electronics?
BCMs IIRC were put in the 3rd gen s-series, and I believe most vehicles made in this millenium.

Also, all s-series uses a PCM if that matters..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarnell View Post
Thanks for your help Mike. It sounds as though the fuse box is a good place to start. Are the relays in that location as well?
David
Yes, several of them. Even one relay pack under the passenger seat for the power locks if the car has them.

Quote:
Mike,
Did the S-series not use a BCM at all?
The S-Series got BCM's in 2000.

Quote:
If so, then what does "GM" use to control all the functionality of the internal electronics?
Nothing. It all controls itself. Like every other auto manufacture in the world before cars started using body control modules.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
ddarnell

Looks like we'll start by determining what got wet. I can only imagine that a submerged fuse/relay block could cause quite a bit of havoc. Are there any online resourses such as schematics and exploded views?
Thanks again,
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
ddarnell

Mike......I just read your signature line. That's a quick car you have there. I have a number of cars and I don't think any of them will run in the low 11s.
Good work............you must have it dialed in.
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #13
ddarnell

I meant high 11s..............still fast!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Your daughter is not alone - a couple of other recent water-flooded s-series threads:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=flooded+water

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=flooded+water

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If the car's not turning over, don't look at the electronics. The starter circuit is a simple electromechanical circuit - battery, ignition switch, neutral or clutch switch, starter, ground. Check all that first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #16
ddarnell

Thanks for the help. We'll start with the starter circuit.
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
ddarnell

I got a photo of the water line. It went up to just above the relays at what appears to be the drivers side lower kick panel area. She describes the water line as the top of the pedals. Replacing blown fuses and submerged relays. Shes looking for the starter right now to determine if it took a bath.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
ddarnell

Put jumper cables on it and it started right up. I'll suggest she does a fluid change.
Thanks for your help
David

REWARD EXCELLENCE!