SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
gbroughton46
gbroughton46 is on a distinguished road

Default L100 fuel tank leak

My 02 fuel tanks is leaking from on top of tank area. Any one had this problem and was it gasket or tank replacement?
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gbroughton46's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gbroughton46 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gbroughton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Robman
Advanced Member
Robman will become famous soon enoughRobman will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: L100 fuel tank leak

did you overfill your tank? check to see you have no loose fittings on the pump and that the pump is securely fastened to the tank by the lock ring. you will have to drop the tank.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic
1999 Yamaha Blaster YFS200

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
gbroughton46
gbroughton46 is on a distinguished road

I had the tank removed and the leak was from one or both seals for the vapor filter on top of the tank.
It was epoxied and reinstalled and seems to be working.
I leave this car in AZ all summer and I think it expanded in the heat and loosen the gaskets which are not fixable.
$800 for new tank and fittings so I just banaded it and reinstalled.
Will leave gas cap loose next summer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gbroughton46's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gbroughton46 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gbroughton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

do that and say bye bye to your gas. it will evaporate.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Powerws
Powerws is on a distinguished road

Interresting! My sister has a 2002 L100 and has the same problem. We have already put another engine in it and have had quite a number of problems. Long story short, she has to fix it. No other option and money is very tight. Now I agreed to try and take care of it for her because she has no one else. I did notice the the fuel smell was coming from the rear of the car. I did look under the back bumber and it apperas that the gas tank drops in from the top. Not like a normal tank that is strapped up with straps from underneath. I will have to let her drive it to use the fuel up then I was going to try to drop it. Does is mount from underneath? Is this a common problem and are the parts available? I read that the tank needed to be replaced. This guy used epoxy? Thank for the insight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Powerws's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Powerws reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Powerws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

the tank is mounted under the rear passenger seat.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Powerws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman View Post
the tank is mounted under the rear passenger seat.
Is it pretty hard to drop, or is there any thing I need to look out for? Thank you very much for responding!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Powerws reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

without a service manual at hand and past experiences with other types of tanks, there should be two metal straps that wrap around the tank. one end should be hinged and the other should either have a nut/bolt. best way to do it is on a near empty tank. this requires a lift or the car being high on jack stands. the tank has to be properly supported and lowered slowly to the point that you can access the lines on top. carefully disconnect the clips on the lines and the electrical connection plugs. finish by lowering the tank all the way. you will see the top of the tank where there you can further determine the leak. also check all of the lines for a possible vibration wear down and the fittings for cracks. other than that, I don't have a book to follow, only past experience.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #9
Paradoxmaker
Paradoxmaker has a spectacular aura aboutParadoxmaker has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman View Post
without a service manual at hand and past experiences with other types of tanks, there should be two metal straps that wrap around the tank. one end should be hinged and the other should either have a nut/bolt. best way to do it is on a near empty tank. this requires a lift or the car being high on jack stands. the tank has to be properly supported and lowered slowly to the point that you can access the lines on top. carefully disconnect the clips on the lines and the electrical connection plugs. finish by lowering the tank all the way. you will see the top of the tank where there you can further determine the leak. also check all of the lines for a possible vibration wear down and the fittings for cracks. other than that, I don't have a book to follow, only past experience.
The tank support straps have 4 bolts holding them on (1 on each end) and it's not really hinged. The front end of the tank has a lip on it that goes under the center tunnel heat shield and is a real pain to get disengaged. I ended up bending the heat shield out of the way to drop the tank straight down and then bending it back up when i re-installed (it's very easy to bend).

The biggest hassle i had was removing the exhaust system from the cat back. The rubber hangers that suspend the pipes just drove me nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Paradoxmaker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Paradoxmaker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Paradoxmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ahh yes, I completely forgot about the heat shield. my car has been changed soo much that for me to reference it is pointless lol. so many things that have been removed over the years from racing. thanks for that update. i've been out of the loop from working on general autos that things tend to be forgotten.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Powerws

Well I had my sister drive the car to me with not much fuel so it would be easy to handle. I dropped the tank, installed the new pump, and it registers full. There is no fuel in the tank. This happen to anyone else? It also wont start. Doesn't sound like the fuel switch is coming on? Will not start. Figured it's not getting gas. Is there a reset switch somewhere? Thanks for any input. Dont want to fill it up, incase I have to re drop the tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Powerws

Dizzy Update

Well I was thinking....................When I turned the key, didn't hear the pump. Also why did the fuel guage read full when there was no fuel in the tank? I took back off the exhaust heat shields, dropped the tank, (I will say, after doing it once, the second time was much faster) pulled the pump back out and noticed a couple of things. First off no float switch.......? Second, no internal wires going to the pump motor.! Excuse me?....................I thought when you bought a new complete fuel pump, it was ready to go. Well needless to say, I took off the old float switch and internal wires from the old pump and put it on the new pump. Re installed the fuel pump, re installed the tank, reinstalled the exhaust, took the car off the jack stands, and crossed my fingers. Turned the key and heard the pump! Did it a couple of times to prime the fuel, and turned it over and she started up, first crank!! As far as the pump, didn't say anything about needing to switch over all of the wires, I figured it was an updated pump, with internal float switch. WRONG! Just wanted to let everybody know. This pump was bought from Advance Auto. He did sell it to me for 280$. Well going to take the car to my sister in the morning. She will be very happy.

Just to let you know, when I pulled out the old pump,it came out in two pieces. The rods that held the pump together with the springs, weren't there. I guess it was floating around in the tank. I'm assuming the plastic nipples were cracked, and is why we had the leak. We'll see as we drive it for a while. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Paradoxmaker
Paradoxmaker has a spectacular aura aboutParadoxmaker has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1999 SL1

Yeah the fuel pump i had to buy recently also had to have the wires and the fuel float switched over.

My old pump also had the support rods come off. where they pressed into the upper section cracked and they popped out. Mine fell into the lower section of the fuel pump so nothing was loose inside the tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Paradoxmaker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Powerws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxmaker View Post
Yeah the fuel pump i had to buy recently also had to have the wires and the fuel float switched over.

My old pump also had the support rods come off. where they pressed into the upper section cracked and they popped out. Mine fell into the lower section of the fuel pump so nothing was loose inside the tank.
Exactly the same thing, but what about the springs? They are in my tank rolling around. It wont make a difference anyway. thanks for the response.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
Paradoxmaker

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerws View Post
Exactly the same thing, but what about the springs? They are in my tank rolling around. It wont make a difference anyway. thanks for the response.
I got lucky and managed to get the pump out with the springs.

The biggest problem i could see by leaving the springs rolling around the bottom of the tank would be that they could possibly damage the fuel pump filter and/or the fuel float

REWARD EXCELLENCE!