SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Tri.vial
Tri.vial is on a distinguished road

Default Hard Shifting please help

Hello,
I have a 2002 Saturn SC2. It has started to have very hard shifting. There is a bang and the car will sometimes shake from the force. There is no check engine light, and the fuses are not blown. Any suggestions on how to diagnos the problem?

Last edited by Tri.vial; 11-12-2009 at 04:27 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tri.vial's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tri.vial reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tri.vial is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: Hard Shifting please help

Man I wish I had a 2005 SC2, it'd be truly one of a kind.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Timguy1008
Timguy1008 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I know nothing about cars but I had the same exact problem a few weeks ago with my 2000 SL-1. Ended up having to have the intake manifold gasket replaced. I wish I knew how to do it myself, would have cost me ~$100 and an afternoon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Timguy1008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Timguy1008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Timguy1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Leafy

1994 SL2

ok its hard shifting, now that its a 2002 and was actually made, is it an automatic or a manual.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timguy1008 View Post
Hi, I know nothing about cars but I had the same exact problem a few weeks ago with my 2000 SL-1. Ended up having to have the intake manifold gasket replaced. I wish I knew how to do it myself, would have cost me ~$100 and an afternoon.
Except the manifold gasket only affects SOHC cars (like yours). the OP has a DOHC.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Tri.vial

Ok more info:
Automatic 02 SC2
Hard shifting
Very hard from park to reverse, with a secondary clunking sound near belt
From park to drive and when shifting hard, sometimes harder than others

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tri.vial reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Leafy

1994 SL2

search for reverse slam, thats what you have.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Tri.vial

So would you recomend replacing the valve body or just do the fluid and filter changes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #9
Leafy

1994 SL2

try the fix first, but since you say it slams in forward gears too, my money would be on needing a new valve body, and needing to tighten the input shaft nut.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
Tri.vial

Well, the cure didn't work. Still a very hard shift into reverse and still hard to different gears when driving. It may be a little less now but still quite bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Leafy

1994 SL2

sounds like you need to contact special forces about getting a new valve body and tightening the input shaft nut. wait for a 2nd opinion though.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
Tri.vial

by special forces what do you mean? Also, can you ballpark a cost for this, i'm assuming its something I can't do in my garage.

I just can't beleive something like like can just all of a sudden crap out like that. I mean I had no shifiting problems before this, then bam slam city.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #13
Leafy

1994 SL2

theres a member called special forces and he sells the best valve bodies. and buy a good torque wrench (as in not a cheap piece of ****) if you're gonna do it yourself.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
Tri.vial

Ok, because of the suddeness of the issue, I am leaning towards the electronic sensor on the valve body haveing snaped a spring or something. Anyone know if that is replacable by itself or is the whol valve body needed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Tri.vial

Also, is there a proper name for the valve body, i can't seem to find anyplace that sells one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #16
Tri.vial

Ok so I did the reverse slam fix from wolfman last night, and it didn't work. This morning I figured I'd give it another go and as soon as a went into reverse, as smooth as a baby's bottom. It seems to have worked. I am still going to get a diagnostic to make sure there is no underlying problem, but a t least I can drive it now without feeling like im going to rend my car in twain!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
jcasekim
jcasekim will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

Maybe you fixed it with the Wolfmann cure, or maybe it just worked better when it's cold because that makes the transmission fluid thicker so it's easier for the valve in the valve body to build pressure. See if hard shifting comes back when the transmission is warm.

In case it's not fixed, a rebuilt valve body should be available for between $180 and $250. A new one is $800-$900 from the dealer. I got mine from Special Forces and you might also see one on eBay.

If you are comfortable removing bolts and have a decent socket set, you can do the valve body replacement in your garage without lifting the car. Actually I did lift the the car to remove the left front wheel to remove the 3rd battery tray bolt... but with a long socket extension that's usually not needed unless your car is on lowered springs. It took me about 3 hours, but some can do it in one hour. Don't even need to drain the tranny, though if you're doing this it's not a bad time to change the fluid and filter (which does require getting under the car to drain the old fluid out). Usually you can re-use the old top cover gasket as long as you don't damage it while removing the cover.

The trickiest part is remembering where all 12 or so bolts go that hold down the valve body--they come in 3 different lengths. And better if you have an inch-pound torque wrench so you don't over-torque the bolts. Oh and if you have ABS you have to work around that (I don't have ABS).

Tightening the input/output shaft nuts can also be done in a home garage but is harder. You need to lift the car, remove one wheel, lower the subframe/cradle, have a thin-wall 12-point 23mm socket, a 30mm socket, and something (screw, chain wrench, small Phillips screwdriver, etc.) to prevent the gear from rotating while you torque the nut. Usually need a new end-cover gasket too (about $10 from the dealer).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcasekim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcasekim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcasekim is offline   Reply With Quote