SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR
Dizzy Liquid sloshing inside, or under the dash?!

Strangest thing happened this morning: My wife & I went for a ride in my SC2 after it rained overnight. When making turns or stopping we can hear some sort of liquid sloshing around inside, or under the passenger's side dash area.
I know I need to look after the drain hoses for my sunroof as I have had wet carpet before, but now the carpet is dry and I can hear liquid moving around there, somewhere. Anybody had this happen to them? If so, how would you drain this liquid and prevent it from accumulating again?

Note: I suspected maybe the heater core might be leaking into the housing, but there is no coolant smell at any time and the heater is warm and works fine. The coolant level in the plastic reservoir is also holding steady.

When in stressful situations look to man's best friend for the best advice: "If you can't eat it and you can't play with it, just pee on it and walk away."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SuperCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SuperCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Liquid sloshing inside, or under the dash?!

you have an air bubble in the heater core. Park the car with the nose higher up in the air and it will leave eventually. Check that he reservoir if at the proper cold level, about 1/4" above the weir in the tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
01SuperCoupe

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR

Should I loosen/remove the cap on the reservoir and run the engine with the heater on high to expel the air bubble, or will gravity alone do the job?

When in stressful situations look to man's best friend for the best advice: "If you can't eat it and you can't play with it, just pee on it and walk away."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 01SuperCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

There is always coolant flow through the core. The water enters the bottom and exits the top. If you park nose up that usually gets rid of it eventually. There is no actual approved removal method. The detailed explanation of the system is below.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

since this was after a rain storm, might i suggest the possiblty that rain water has collected in the HVAC case(simular to a leaking heater core, but with out the smell). if this is the case, regardless of if it is rain water or coolant, the liquid would only remain stuck in the case if the drain was clogged. see the photo below for the location of the drain on the firewall. in the picture a pencil eraser is being inserted to the drain, this is the recommended clean procedure. the eraser tip is the perfict size and soft as to not cause and damage.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

+1^^^ Thats worth a shot also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

If after you clean the drain to the HVAC module you find blockage in the drain and water in the module you need to find out why the cowl drains are not doing there job.They are there to prevent just this thing from happening.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
01SuperCoupe

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR

Thank you, gentlemen. I will have a look at this tomorrow when the sun returns...Am I alone in hating the fall time change?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
dhenninger
dhenninger is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

I was thinking about posting on this exact symptom. I will be following closely to see of the outcome is the same.

Hear the water sloshing when i was going around the corner and up the hill to our house. Heard it twice, but it is not all the time.

1997 SL1 Auto 125K Blue
New ETCS, Water Pump, Engine Mount, Front O2 Sensor, Thermostat, Transmission (swap)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dhenninger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dhenninger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dhenninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

I've heard the heater core passing a bubble a few times in the life of my SC1, I find it amusing!
The other suggestions are very good as well, and I'll add to check the little mesh dam on the passenger side cowl. Open the hood and on the right side of the cowl you will see an oval mesh with two foam gaskets around it. Make sure these are still glued together and to the cowl. a bit of silicone works fine.
Richpin posted a picture of his awhile ago, it had a small problem, there were fingers in it!

edit: found it,

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Last edited by mattelderca; 11-10-2009 at 10:51 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
I've heard the heater core passing a bubble a few times in the life of my SC1, I find it amusing!
The other suggestions are very good as well, and I'll add to check the little mesh dam on the passenger side cowl. Open the hood and on the right side of the cowl you will see an oval mesh with two foam gaskets around it. Make sure these are still glued together and to the cowl. a bit of silicone works fine.
Richpin posted a picture of his awhile ago, it had a small problem, there were fingers in it!

edit: found it,
The screen is also there to prevent little bits of mother nature (leaves, seeds, pine needles, Maple tree helicopters etc.. from falling done in there and making their way into the HVAC blower housing and or its drains...If it has gone missing, one can be easily fabricated using some 1/2 in foam door insulation and a bit of window screening from any hardware store.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
jchu210
jchu210 will become famous soon enoughjchu210 will become famous soon enough

1999 SC2

where is this a/c drain plug that i can stick a pen into? , i cant seem to find it. parking my car elevated nose up doesnt seem to be working

auto 99 SC2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jchu210's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jchu210 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jchu210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
LabRat
Advanced Member
LabRat is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SL2

On the firewall under the intake manifold/plenum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0VdF...9FD3A&index=51

-LR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LabRat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LabRat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote