SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Could Penske Still Buy Saturn?

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Could Penske Still Buy Saturn?

Quote:
Bryan Lavoilette from Michigan Live: Don't be surprised if General Motors' deal with Penske Automotive is back on within the next week or two. Penske backed out of its plans with GM to buy the ringed-planet brand when the automaker which was going to build its cars nixed the deal.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
AEIoUy
AEIoUy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Could Penske Still Buy Saturn?

Why must we prolong this. Ugh.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AEIoUy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AEIoUy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AEIoUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIoUy View Post
Why must we prolong this. Ugh.
Agreed. MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND, people!!!

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Saturn died officially for me on 09/30/09 as an entire entity....

While I admire the prospect to still make this happen...just let it go.

The Saturn experiment is done. Let's move on Penske.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
ezimmerman
ezimmerman is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure Saturn is in full wind down right now from what we have been told at a retailer level. I would not get my hopes up on this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ezimmerman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ezimmerman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ezimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Emanuel
Emanuel is on a distinguished road

My retailer has made several decisions that look as if they would be pretty difficult to reverse. He let go of many sales people and the rest are on notice that they are gone when the remaining inventory is sold (~ 1 month). He announced that he will close his service dept at the end of the year so the outstanding techs have to be looking for work. He took saturn out of 2 of his three stores and he is in the process of disposing of his properties.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Emanuel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Emanuel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
saturnplace
saturnplace is on a distinguished road

A lot of wishful thinking in the article. We are in full wind-down mode. We are working on reducing all stocking policies at our store along with other retailers. Saturn Service parts will soon begin the process of migrating parts to General Motors Service Parts Operations. They have quilt building Saturns. Saturn Retailers are making plans to close or transition to another car line. The automotive industry is in a depression and probably will be for some time. It's just a tough time to be in the car business.

We did our best to make this dream happen, but unfortunately we are done and done. Time to move on.

Rethink your Saturn. Accessorize.
http://www.saturnaccessories.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Anyone else feel that, even if you suspend disbelief and Penske could deliver made in the USA vehicles, one econobox model, one midsize and have them priced competitively, while also best in class they would STILL fail in this environment?

I'm just thinking that even if things were pretty damn perfect it still wouldn't work out right now for any sort of 'saving,' of Saturn and we all know in the real world things are far, far from perfect in regards to the auto industry.

I'm actually looking at buying another Saturn, but it'll be a 2006 Vue with low mileage if I can find one for cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseball View Post
Anyone else feel that, even if you suspend disbelief and Penske could deliver made in the USA vehicles, one econobox model, one midsize and have them priced competitively, while also best in class they would STILL fail in this environment?

I'm just thinking that even if things were pretty damn perfect it still wouldn't work out right now for any sort of 'saving,' of Saturn and we all know in the real world things are far, far from perfect in regards to the auto industry.

I'm actually looking at buying another Saturn, but it'll be a 2006 Vue with low mileage if I can find one for cheap.
There's plenty of Saturns for sale on ebay motors for cheap. People are dumping them left and right. I saw a 2005 VUE last week on ebaymotors that had 95K miles on it selling for $3500 with no reserve.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
There's plenty of Saturns for sale on ebay motors for cheap. People are dumping them left and right. I saw a 2005 VUE last week on ebaymotors that had 95K miles on it selling for $3500 with no reserve.
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.. that's 23,750 miles/year. EVEN. High mileage much?

I wouldn't've accepted that Saturn for no less than $3000, simply for the high mileage and no more Saturn. Although, if this is the first gen Vue, there should still be parts for it, given it has a Honda drivetrain, and sadly, Honda and the imports just aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

This would be a great move by Penske to wrangle some government money (in place of his own) and become Saturn's knight in white armor... .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

MiSaturn: I think you mean: A rolling moss gathers no stone..

It's always easier to spend OPM [other people's money]. I hope it's not going to come to the Government floating him a loan. I liked the fact that Penske was using his own money and taking 100% of the risk to try something new.

As it is, I think it's safe to say:Penske is a white knight in shining armor on a dead horse

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
MacTech
MacTech is on a distinguished road

I fear that it's too little, too late now, the general public now sees Saturn as a "Dead" brand, and aside from bargain-hunters, it seems nobody's interested in Saturn anymore

At the dealership I work at, we've seen customer traffic drop precipitously in the past three weeks, Saturday, for example, we had a grand total of *ONE* customer (purchased a used Suzuki 4-door sedan), Sunday, *NO* customers at all

we used to get people looking at Saturns and used vehicles as well, then just used vehicles, now nothing

At least the Service department is busy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MacTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Information Re: Could Penske Still Buy Saturn?

My local sautrn retailer chain is looking to get another product to sell new. He has 3 stores in a large metro area. This sounds like a winner of plan if he can land that one big fish. He going to take the 13 month option and build up sales around the used cars sector until he gets other things setup. This is according to an inside source. (I don't think Penske could buy it if he wanted to now.)

Good luck guy. I am praying for all of you.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

[I] still must belive something positive willl happen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
marcusevan
marcusevan is on a distinguished road

I thi nk that saturnplace hit the nail on the head. Its just a bunch of wishful thinking by some. Not going to happen. The retailer that I used to work for for over 15 years cleared out his saturn lot last week in hopes of obtaining another franchise and is selling his remaining saturns at his other gm facility. This gentleman and his son is one of the biggest dealers in the south and is one of the smartest business teams that you will ever meet. They held out to the end believing the penske deal even when other Saturn facilites had already jumped ship. If this gentleman and his son has moved on, you can take it to the bank it is closing time and you can't stay here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcusevan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcusevan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcusevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The dealerships and marketing/financial types associated with Saturn are still good legitimate experienced people plus the brand name might still be worth something. I say Penske should try to deal with Mitsubishi. They make good cars but need a lot of help on the sales/marketing front.
I'd buy an Outlander sold by a Saturn dealer above a Rav4 or CRV for an example. I would not buy one at the Mitsu dealer because almost all Mitsu dealers seem incredibly shady.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

OK, if everyone on here puts a million dollars in an envelope and sends it to Penske...

Hey, it could work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #19
04Pacific
04Pacific is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Certainly anything is possible. At this point the brand is being phased out, however in that frame of time Penske or some other company could very well come back to the table. I would think GM would like to make something off of Saturn rather than just lose it completely. But, then again what do I know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04Pacific's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04Pacific reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Doesn't matter to me anymore. Saturn of Florence, SC closed it's doors and gutted the building last week and now there is no Saturn dealer for over 100 miles from us in any direction.

As long as GM stands by all Saturn Owner's Warranties and allows other GM dealers to honor warranties (with no red tape) thats all I care about at this point.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote