SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 10-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Sevillian273
Sevillian273 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default A/C Compressor cycling on and off?

2001 SL2 - With the heat on high, and the ac button OFF, I noticed that the ac compressor still cycles on and off about 15 seconds on/ 15 seconds off. Is this normal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sevillian273's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sevillian273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sevillian273 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C Compressor cycling on and off?

How did you manage to have the a/c running with it OFF (''and the a/c button OFF")? Recycling ON?

If the coolinng fan is broken or the coolant sensor fails; the cooling fan will never run to keep the cooling system regulated. This also becomes a misinterpreted a/c problem; the cooling fan is supposed to be running when the a/c system is turned on. If the a/c is running and the fan isn't, the compressor will begin cycling on and off from too much heat created in the condenser coil that also creates too much high pressure within the a/c system. The detected higher pressure cause the system to shut down automatically to prevent any catastrophic blow out until pressures subside then the cycle starts over again.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

Last edited by fdryer; 10-31-2009 at 01:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Thats what I dont understand. The compressor was cycling on and off in short intervals with the heat on high and ac button OFF.

The ac button turns the compressor on or off, and the recycle button selects whether or not the blower pulls air in from the outside or from the inside of the car.

I dont see why the compressor would engage with the ac button OFF.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sevillian273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The a/c relay may be stuck ON. Replace it with another one like the horn relay and see what occurs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Thanks, I'll try that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

In what position was the mode selector? IIRC, gen-3 cars can be programmed to run the A/C compressor when the mode selector is in the defrost position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Lol! As a matter of fact it was! But why would they design it to do that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It was designed to quickly remove fogging from the windshield. It works although many complain about the slightly more use of fuel or the engine load.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
But why would they design it to do that?
Running the A/C removes moisture from the air blown on the windshield, allowing it to defog the windshield faster (by evaporation). Many of the newer cars run the A/C when in defrost position if the ambient air temp is above ~40F. At cooler ambient temps it is sufficient to heat the air for defogging the windshield.

However, if the A/C is cycling quickly now, does it work OK when set to cooling?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
However, if the A/C is cycling quickly now, does it work OK when set to cooling?
Yes, everything works as it should now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

in addition to removing moisture, cycling the AC for defrost also moves the oil carried by the refrigerant throught the system.

Betcha nobody turned on their AC systems and ran them once a week (or was it month?) for 15 minutes in the winter time, the way the owner's manual recommended back in the old days.

I read somewhere that most modern cars cycle the AC when defrost + heat are on.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 162k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Betcha nobody turned on their AC systems and ran them once a week (or was it month?) for 15 minutes in the winter time, the way the owner's manual recommended back in the old days.
It wouldn't have done any good to put that into the owner's manual in the gen-1 and gen-2 cars. A/C does not run when ambient temperature, as reported by the IAT sensor, is below 40F. Workaround - I (don't laugh) saved my old ECTS; once a month or so during the winter, I take it out (it's kept inside, above 40F), plug it into the IAT connector, start the engine and run the A/C.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the roughalordofchaos is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
It wouldn't have done any good to put that into the owner's manual in the gen-1 and gen-2 cars. A/C does not run when ambient temperature,
I'm talking about the 70's, carbureted V8 cars, when I said 'older'... before Saturn was a twinkle in Lutz' (?) eye.

It was a complete shock first time I read that in an owner's manual Don't remember what car it was, thinking it was a Chrysler, though

Don't the gen 1 & 2 S-series AC cycle with the defrost? Dang, i just assumed it does... I'll have to go back and read the owner's manual

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 162k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

Come to think of it, my caddy does that too when the temp is set to 90 and the defrost is on... I always thought it was a malfunction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!