SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Ahh, what could have been

This probably would've been the Aura refresh.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...3c033026fb784d

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2
Default Re: Ahh, what could have been

I normally don't comment on the threads about Saturn's demise, because everything has already been said. But lately, i have noticed several threads about "what could be", or, "what could have been", and I think Saturnfans may need a little reminder.

The whole idea behind the Saturn brand was to build good, affordable cars IN AMERICA to compete with imports, which were dominating the small car market at the time. Saturn accomplished that, for a time, but always seemed to be handcuffed by the parent GM company, and, make no mistake about it, GM was always in control. "Importing" Saturns went against the whole concept of what the car company was about, and it was doomed from that day forth.

Penske could gave saved Saturn by rebadging Renaults? Anyone remember the Le Car? At best, he could have extended the life of the Saturn NAME, but the real Saturns died the day the last car rolled off the line at Spring Hill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Ahh, what could have been

I really like the styling of the Opel---I can see it as an Aura (in an alternate universe). I really didn't think that Saturn "ended" with the last plastic car---wasn't Saturn all about bringing the latest technology and manufacturing to mainstream GM? Arguably, Opel (and Vauxhall) were the biggest source of GM's engine and suspension technology. The concept of dealer service and "no haggle purchacing" still worked. The basic things that were what Saturn was all about were still there---only the Springhill plant and the polymer panels went away---more due to cost than anything else. My 08 Vue is a great vehicle--90K and no problems---To me it feels as much a Saturn as the other 8 I have owned since 1992. I do agree that Penske would have probably not been able to make Saturn work---the cars and dealers would have been too far off the original goals to really been "Saturn". I did own a Renault LeCar in the 1980's; it was cheap but reliable and fun as all getout to drive. I bought it used and drove it 70K miles before selling it for $300.00---I only paid $485.00, 3 years earlier!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote