SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default GM Retains High End Brands?

Just curious if readers feel Ford or Chrysler now have the edge on economical, and affordable vehicles.
Afer all Buick, Corvette, Cadillac and GMC vehicles don't exactly fit into this class compared to the Pontiac, Saturn brands. Granted they kept Chevy, so how does that compare especially in post recessionary times?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Default Re: GM Retains High End Brands?

Chevy is their entry level brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Hard to say about Chrysler, since new owner Fiat is discontinuing the Chrysler PT Cruiser and Sebring; Dodge Caliber, Nitro, Avenger and Grand Caravan; and Jeep Commander, Compass and Patriot, and replacing them with Italian imports,

I guess time will tell, but they had better be of higher quality than the last generation of Fiats sold in America. The 128 and the Spyder tended to rust out before most people's loans were paid off, if the crappy electrical systems didn't give out first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
AEIoUy
AEIoUy is on a distinguished road

Chevy is equiviliant to what Ford is. Their mainstream brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AEIoUy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AEIoUy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AEIoUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Explain why they're killing off the (grand) caravan and PT cruiser. Not only was the PT mostly 4cyl (unlike most chryslers) but the (grand) caravans have been around for awhile.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Hard to say about Chrysler, since new owner Fiat is discontinuing the Chrysler PT Cruiser and Sebring; Dodge Caliber, Nitro, Avenger and Grand Caravan; and Jeep Commander, Compass and Patriot, and replacing them with Italian imports,

I guess time will tell, but they had better be of higher quality than the last generation of Fiats sold in America. The 128 and the Spyder tended to rust out before most people's loans were paid off, if the crappy electrical systems didn't give out first.

WOW. That's quite a bombshell! Did you read this somewhere?
I have to agree with you that FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) models weren't very reliable when they imported their models in the past and I seriously doubt that they can stand up to the weather in the northern U.S. and Canada.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
I have to agree with you that FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) models weren't very reliable when they imported their models in the past and I seriously doubt that they can stand up to the weather in the northern U.S. and Canada.
Wall Street Journal earlier in the week. MSNBC, Allpar. The 500 is to be built in Mexico, LX platform sharing of the 300c/Charger with Alfa Fiat and Lancia and built @ Brampton in Canada. But the big announcement comes on Nov 4th when they release the plan for going forward. A 6 hour event.

Ford is redoing the Focus and bringing the Fiesta soon. GM is still dicking around with the Cruze. I'll be looking at Ford, Kia, Hyundai and even Nissan for a small car the next time I am in the market. Would love to get a Caliber, just because the media loves to hate on it so much... and it's got a better than average reliability rating according to Consumer Reports !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Idea Re: GM Retains High End Brands?

The title should read -------

GM retains gas guzzlers and impractical cars !
GM has not changed its ways

GM got rid of Saturn because it is not into economical , efficient , people friendly , low maintenance type cars that conflict with the cars they are trying to sell .

GM is focusing all there attention on the wealthy clientele and ignoring the majority of ordinary folks that just want a good running simple , COST FRIENDLY vehicle.

GM still wants to rip you off and say its the American way .

GM sucks bucks .

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaman View Post

GM has not changed its ways

GM got rid of Saturn because it is not into economical , efficient , people friendly , low maintenance type cars that conflict with the cars they are trying to sell .

GM is focusing all there attention on the wealthy clientele and ignoring the majority of ordinary folks that just want a good running simple , COST FRIENDLY vehicle.

GM still wants to rip you off and say its the American way .

GM sucks bucks .
By the time the ION was discontinued, Chevy added "XFE" models to the Cobalt that were more fuel efficient than both other Cobalt models as well as the ION were before, and the new Equinox four-cylinder is rated by the EPA for better fuel efficiency than the VUE four-cylinder was, at 22 city/32 highway for the Equinox vs. the VUE's 19 city/26 highway. The Malibu still continues with the same 22 city/33 highway I4/6-speed auto setup the Aura shared.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

hate to say it but gm makes very very low maintanance cars that get excellent gas mileage. line for line they are at or near the top of gas mileage charts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
Project
Project is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
Always strikes me as funny when people bring up foreign cars from 20 years ago but forget all cars 20 years ago were awful lol. At least unlike american manufacturers foreign ones have improved haha

Astra XR 3-door Blue (RIP Dec 22, 2010)
Mini Cooper S Horizon Blue/White

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
hate to say it but gm makes very very low maintanance cars that get excellent gas mileage. line for line they are at or near the top of gas mileage charts.
if you hate to say it then why are you saying it ??

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:

Seriously? Seriously? You mean they retained the platform mates for the Saturns. Does slapping a Saturn emblem on it suddenly bump its fuel economy and make it practical?

Quote:
Hmm, so the Cobalt, Malibu, Traverse, Equinox are all gas guzzling, unfriendly maintenance hogs? The vehicles that were duplicated in the Saturn lineup (however they were not selling in the Saturn lineup) are what I am referring to here.
Quote:
The running costs of the other GM vehicles (with a few exceptions) are identical to their Saturn counterparts... what are you getting at.

Seriously... I understand people are pissed that Saturn is going away - but did all common sense go out the door with it? It was a duplicated brand marque that did not differentiate itself from the other GM brands in the past few years and could never escape its (unfairly earned in some cases) poor brand image. The GM lineup makes sense now... Saturn turned into the gangrenous leg that needed to be hacked off.

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: GM Retains High End Brands?

your the one that has the boxing gloves on dude , you can take your theory and ( well you know )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
your the one that has the boxing gloves on dude , you can take your theory and ( well you know )
I don't have boxing gloves on.

People are either blinded by product love or don't have a firm grasp of how business operates. It sucks, but you all act like GM did something wrong in terminating the brand to stay afloat.

What makes you think the platform mates of Saturn coming from Chevrolet are not as good if not better than their Saturn counterparts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVueBoy View Post
I don't have boxing gloves on.

People are either blinded by product love or don't have a firm grasp of how business operates. It sucks, but you all act like GM did something wrong in terminating the brand to stay afloat.
gm did do something wrong by terminating Saturn , Saturn was a good product , and we are entitled to our opinion of GM .

So , I think its weird that your on this site fighting for a company that let the Saturn corporation die .

This is a Saturn support web site -- not a GM web site
and I don't take your approach here as friendly .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
gm did do something wrong by terminating Saturn , Saturn was a good product , and we are entitled to our opinion of GM .
Saturn was a good product. Saturn unfortunately fell victim to badge engineering, absurdly poor marketing and a generally unfavorable reputation among media and many car ignorant consumers.

Quote:
So , I think its weird that your on this site fighting for a company that let the Saturn corporation die .
The GM corporation now did not let Saturn die. The GM corporation prior to the restructuring let Saturn die - by the time of the restructuring, the brand was beyond hope.
Quote:
This is a Saturn support web site -- not a GM web site and I don't take your approach here as friendly .
Saturn is, was, and always has been a GM product. My approach is that of someone who has been active on this site for pushing 8 years, someone who worked for a Saturn retailer for 4 years, someone who follows the automotive industry quite closely, and someone who has business knowledge of what has happened with GM. I'm perfectly friendly - but am very fact of the matter. Take note of my avatar picture - that was taken on my 3rd trip to the factory. People who aren't fans of the brand typically don't visit the factory once, let alone 3 times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:

The GM corporation now did not let Saturn die. The GM corporation prior to the restructuring let Saturn die - by the time of the restructuring, the brand was beyond hope.

you make it sound like there are/were two different GM's ??? (nice one)-- as far as I know there is AND ONLY WAS one company that has ever been GM.
Sure there has been restructuring - but does that make the past ok ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Saturn was a good product..
good , I'm glad we agree on that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #20
jaman

2005 ION-2 Sedan

[QUOTE=

Saturn is, was, and always has been a GM product. My approach is that of someone who has been active on this site for pushing 8 years, someone who worked for a Saturn retailer for 4 years, someone who follows the automotive industry quite closely, and someone who has business knowledge of what has happened with GM. I'm perfectly friendly - but am very fact of the matter. Take note of my avatar picture - that was taken on my 3rd trip to the factory. People who aren't fans of the brand typically don't visit the factory once, let alone 3 times.[/QUOTE]

Yes its always been a GM product - but somewhere down the line the Saturn idea was lost AND GM LOST IT of course we all know that gm started Saturn but they screwed up the idea of Saturn down the line . Also , you definitely have a lot of experience when it comes to Saturn and a past love for the car . THEN WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING THE VERY COMPANY THAT LET US ALL DOWN ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!