SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Will Your Next New Car be a General Motors Vehicle?

A new poll entry has been added:

Will Your Next New Car be a General Motors Vehicle?

Quote:
* Yes
* No
* It's too early to tell

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Will Your Next New Car be a General Motors Vehicle?

Big mistake closing Saturn. I don't see what I like in their other brand models now.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
SoundGuy
SoundGuy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

I should find out where the saturn sales people are going. I'd rather follow a saturn salesperson than try out a new "slick" one. "How much do you want to spent?" How much more are you willing to spend?" Oh, plueeeeeze.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoundGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoundGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Saturn#5
Saturn#5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Not that I'm bitter...okay I am.

But I don't see myself buying a GM vehicle ever again. I see the GM giant as taking the Governments $ (acutally ours!) and really become the same dysfunctional family in a different "new GM".

A tiger cannot change it stripes!

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

OH HELL NO!!
Do the math and follow the blood trail, it leads back to GM.
Obama proposed the means to a bailout and GM saw it as a way to once and for all eliminate it's only real competition, Saturn.
There is no buyer for Saturn and there never was in GM's eyes. As a few suspected and as it has come to be, GM did everything in it's power to position Saturn for execution. Was there ever a doubt? Not in my mind, but I held out hope.
GM squandered the most successful marketing strategy in the history of the automotive industry and questionably in all of American business. Rather than taking the profitable path of propping up Saturn as a diamond in the rough to prospective buyers, they treated it like a hermaphroditic-downs-lazy-eyed-step-child and tried to justify euthanasia as if it was in mercy.

Since day one Saturn owners have always been disenchanted American Manufactured car buyers and would have purchased an Import had it not been for Saturn. Today you have a passionate and loyal customer base for a product, but no product. Some in GM think that they will win the hearts and minds of previous Saturn owners with the products and marketing they are spewing now, but I'm happy to say, "GM you are wrong." It's not the car and for the most part it never has been, it's the experience. Some 20 years ago GM discovered this and created a new company from a clean slate. 20 years later they are technically a new company again, but this time rather than building a unique Dealer base, management structure and union agreements - it's just the same old GM structure in a clean new veneer of a corporation.

If GM couldn't see the success Saturn respected in 20 years of watching it grow under it's umbrella then how can anyone expect GM to implement even a single detail of what Saturn was today or in the next 20 years?

I'll continue to pay my taxes and by doing so help pay down the national debt and Obama's bail out, but I'll never spend another penny of my income to support GM.
And now the same GM dealer that was denied a Saturn dealership for 20 years because of the way they ran their franchises is where I'll have to take my Saturn to be serviced? Not a chance.. not a chance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SCDYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuy View Post
I should find out where the saturn sales people are going. I'd rather follow a saturn salesperson than try out a new "slick" one. "How much do you want to spent?" How much more are you willing to spend?" Oh, plueeeeeze.
I tried to sell Honda's after I left Saturn and even at a dealership that was known to be very friendly and I just couldn't do it. Saturn Sales consultants aren't always the same type of Sales people as most other Automotive dealers want and I suspect that many will be changing fields of work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SCDYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Yes, of course I'd buy a GM car again. They designed, built and sold the cars I've owned since 2001, so why would I leave them for making a business decision to dissolve a brand? This isn't the 3rd grade. I can't "punish" a car company for trying to stay in businness, and I certainly wouldn't punish myself by buying something outside what I'm familiar and happy with. I'm trying to look at this rationally instead of emotionally. Am I upset that Saturn is no more? Yes and no. Is is going to affect my purchase decisions in regards to GM? No.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCDYNE View Post
Since day one, SOME Saturn owners have always been disenchanted American Manufactured car buyers and would have purchased an Import had it not been for Saturn.
I fixed that statement for you.

I have always known Saturn was a GM product and that's why I bought them. I have never considered an import car. I have never been a "disenchanted American manufactured car" buyer and will never purchase an import, regardless of the death of Saturn. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

well, are we really given a choice? in a way we all are buying GM, since we're paying their salaries now. To answer the OP....only domestic brand I'd look at is Ford. Other than that Honda or BMW.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
FL ION BY
FL ION BY is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

It will be a Scion TC. GM, never again, there is no doubt about this for me.

Previous Saturn cars: 1993 SL2 Blue/Green, 1999 SC1 2-Door Dark Blue, 2003 ION3 Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL ION BY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL ION BY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FL ION BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
saturn_69
Master Member

Okay, let's break this down:

As Saturn owners, we have bought GM products, correct? And are we happy with those products? As a whole, and judging by the repeat buyers I'd have to say yes. So, logically and rationally, why would you NOT buy another GM product? Because of some irrational sense of betrayal? Because we're emotionally attached to a machine whose brand name is no longer available? If GM makes a good car that meets your needs, why not buy it? People just aren't thinking clearly enough yet to answer this poll with any real thought. They're answering with their emotions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

If they ever come out with that diesel Suburban, I'll drop my cash down in a heartbeat.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Just like always, I will buy the best domestic car made in the USA that suits my needs and fits my budget, and I can get serviced reasonably.

I will not by an imported "american" car. ala Astra, and newer vue.
I have bought a hybrid nissan-ford (and sold as a mercury?) product built in ohio. I at look where the profits go and who is employed.
I won't but a foreign car built in the us. Ala accord.

If my neighbor can't eat, how long is it until my job is gone too? I think about it often. SO if my "Canton Ohio boy" attitude is showing, So what.

I have toyed with buying the Honda powered VUE. It just doesn't suit me well. I need more of a truck than that.
I'll probably go back ford. yuck.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #14
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post

As Saturn owners, we have bought GM products, correct? And are we happy with those products? As a whole, and judging by the repeat buyers I'd have to say yes. So, logically and rationally, why would you NOT buy another GM product? Because of some irrational sense of betrayal? Because we're emotionally attached to a machine whose brand name is no longer available? If GM makes a good car that meets your needs, why not buy it? People just aren't thinking clearly enough yet to answer this poll with any real thought. They're answering with their emotions.
my Ion is ok. nothing to brag about except for the plastic body. I would not have bought another GM anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
SalemCat
SalemCat will become famous soon enough

Default I'm not supporting the UAW anymore.

I've purchased GM vehicles exclusively (Chevrolet & Saturn), for decades, all new.

What a fool.

Little did I realize I was only supporting the UAW in their efforts to corrupt and destroy America.

(Due to Obama's Depression I can't afford to eat, let alone a new car.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SalemCat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SalemCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
AEIoUy
AEIoUy is on a distinguished road

Are you kidding? The whole point of Saturn was to lure import buyers like myself into a GM showroom. And nothing has really changed with the other GM brands, so why would I continute to to shop at a GM store?

Back to Honda or Nissan for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AEIoUy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AEIoUy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AEIoUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
k-dee
k-dee is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

The only reasons my wife and I went to Saturn back in 1998 are as follows:

- They didn't treat women like second class citizens (at the time).
- No haggle pricing
- It was as far as you could get from GM without leaving the continental USA as they were not "badge engineered" cars at the time.

That was good enough for four Saturns (1998 SL1, 2000 SC1, 2000 SL2, 2004 ION). However when Saturn became more like GM and less like "A Different Kind Of Company," along with some un-Saturn like experiences with a dealer here in Toronto it sent us to Toyota in 2008.

Would we ever buy another GM car? No way. Were it not for Saturn, we would never had even considered GM in the first place. It would have been Honda or Toyota for sure. As for GM winning us over with their new product, there's no chance of that. Government Motors has nothing we want to buy.

It's too bad that Saturn was considered to be the b***ard stepchild of GM. It could have been a contender if they spent more effort to make it work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k-dee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k-dee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #18
CrunkedRL
CrunkedRL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post

Currently GM does not make any car that would fit my needs. In the next year I'll be in the market for a smallish car with luxury appointments and brand notoriety. The Cruze when it hits the streets will be a joke and the Buick Astra will suffer from the perception that Buick only attracts geriatric buyers. So at the present my options are limited when it comes to GM. So good buy GM hello Volvo S40

Current Rides

98' Saturn SL2
04' Saturn Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrunkedRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrunkedRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrunkedRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #19
saturn_69
Master Member

Default Re: I'm not supporting the UAW anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemCat View Post
I've purchased GM vehicles exclusively (Chevrolet & Saturn), for decades, all new.

What a fool.

Little did I realize I was only supporting the UAW in their efforts to corrupt and destroy America.

(Due to Obama's Depression I can't afford to eat, let alone a new car.)
And yet you have internet access.

Obama's Depression? That's funny. Let's not politicize this (even though I think your post wasn't supposed to go in this thread).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
mlandusk
mlandusk is on a distinguished road

Well since i just got my Aura a few months ago, it is too early to tell if I would buy another GM product, but I think i would probably buy the equivalent to the Aura which is the Malibu. I think GM has turned the corner. If not then they will fade into the history books with Saturn. Then I'm left with only Ford as the only american manufacturer I would purchase from. I would never consider Chrysler and definitely not a F(ix) I(t) A(gain) T(ony) auto.

Marty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlandusk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlandusk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlandusk is offline   Reply With Quote