SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Merlin3
Merlin3 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Headlight Assembly

Dealer wants $192 a piece.

That about right? Any aftermarket ones that don't have fit/finish issues?

2002 SC2 3 door 170,600 (05/2/11)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Merlin3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Merlin3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Merlin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Headlight Assembly

Salvage:
http://www.car-part.com
http://www.mypartshop.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

$20 at the junkyard. Do a search for ones in your area.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
ktthecarguy
ktthecarguy will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Hi there,
What about the headlights from RockAuto? The mid-price ones are only $40 apiece. Anyone tried them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ktthecarguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ktthecarguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ktthecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
2ndSCowner
2ndSCowner is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1994 SL2

I'd first check the junkyards in your area first. If none are available then shop online, check the links above as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2ndSCowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2ndSCowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2ndSCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin3 View Post

too bad, i just sold a nice one on ebay for $31.00! it looked like new...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:

i would stick witn oem. i bought an aftermarket light for my dad's malibu & it didn't fit right. gaps here & there as it's not made with factory molds. if you want to buy aftermarket, caveat emptor...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:

is it full of water like most? when i see a 2001-2002 saturn sc2 parked anywhere 99% of the time their lights are water logged...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Merlin3
Merlin3 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
is it full of water like most? when i see a 2001-2002 saturn sc2 parked anywhere 99% of the time their lights are water logged...
Ahh yep.

2002 SC2 3 door 170,600 (05/2/11)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Merlin3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Merlin3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Merlin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Ahh yep.
ya both of my headlamps were replaced, the driver's side fog lamp & both backup lights were replaced all due to moisture. ya know what, it costs enough just to maintain normal items on your car like oil changes, but to constantly replace items such as expensive lamp housings just because the friggen morons don't know how to manufacture them to begin with? it's just a shame...

i'm sorry, but that's just not right.....

all they had to do is to seal them better, not rocket science right? but NO! that makes way too much sense doesn't it?

sometimes i really think car manufacturers make shabby parts on purpose just to make money on replacements, but that backfires when people then question their quality control & go elsewhere for a car...

Last edited by saturnsctwo; 10-29-2009 at 08:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Ahh yep.
if ya want to save money, just remove the housings & silicone over the seam where the lamp is put together. many do this & it works, but in my case i always just replace them with factory new units, because i'm a freak with stuff like that & i hate it when my lights look sloppy with that silicone around them. it just looks unsighty, but it does work....

i hate it because i'm playing right into their hands, but what can i do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member
Derek McNelly is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Got the same problem here. Gonna try some silica gel bags in the housings for a day or two, and then silicone the seams up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Derek McNelly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Derek McNelly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Derek McNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
Got the same problem here. Gonna try some silica gel bags in the housings for a day or two, and then silicone the seams up.
do not put ANYTHUNG repeat ANYTHING in those housings! the silver reflector is easily damaged. just let them dry out in the house over night. if they are dirty inside from all the water, try some distilled water & maybe a little dish soap, swirl it around & only wash with distilled water, because if ya use chlorine water, that will leave water spots. anyway after the washout, let them dry out naturally, don't force dry them like with a hair dryer because again that can leave spots. they will dry out over night no problem. put a bead of clear silicone around the seam where the light is put together, & that should do it. make sure the o-rings around the bulbs are sealing, maybe lube them with silicone grease & check the breather hoses for obstructions....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
do not put ANYTHUNG repeat ANYTHING in those housings! the silver reflector is easily damaged. just let them dry out in the house over night. if they are dirty inside from all the water, try some distilled water & maybe a little dish soap, swirl it around & only wash with distilled water, because if ya use chlorine water, that will leave water spots. anyway after the washout, let them dry out naturally, don't force dry them like with a hair dryer because again that can leave spots. they will dry out over night no problem. put a bead of clear silicone around the seam where the light is put together, & that should do it. make sure the o-rings around the bulbs are sealing, maybe lube them with silicone grease & check the breather hoses for obstructions....
So, pull 'em off and bring 'em in for the night and just let 'em sit?

Should I put them under a desk lamp or something just to kinda catalyze the process?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Derek McNelly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:

Should I put them under a desk lamp or something just to kinda catalyze the process?
they will dry just leave them sit somewhere where it's not dusty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:

so did ya fix the leaky lights? i just seen a blue 2001-2002 sc2 here in a local supermarket & that reminded me of your car. their lights were identical to yours. is your fog lights also wet inside? if so it's the same repair....

it looks like in your pics the driver's side fot is cloudy unless it's just photogrophy doing that...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #17
Starduster_Sat
Starduster_Sat is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I doubt there is much aftermarket stuff. Remember, the tuners never thought Saturn S's were cool, so we Saturn owners were spared some of the outright JUNK marketed to the tuner crowd.

OE, new or used, if you can. If the clearcoat has worn off and the lens is hazed, there are now plenty of products to make them optically clear again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starduster_Sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starduster_Sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Starduster_Sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #18
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starduster_Sat View Post
I doubt there is much aftermarket stuff. Remember, the tuners never thought Saturn S's were cool, so we Saturn owners were spared some of the outright JUNK marketed to the tuner crowd.

OE, new or used, if you can. If the clearcoat has worn off and the lens is hazed, there are now plenty of products to make them optically clear again.
i wasn't talking about hazed lenses, i was referring to water in the headlamp assembly a saturn problem...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #19
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
so did ya fix the leaky lights? i just seen a blue 2001-2002 sc2 here in a local supermarket & that reminded me of your car. their lights were identical to yours. is your fog lights also wet inside? if so it's the same repair....

it looks like in your pics the driver's side fot is cloudy unless it's just photogrophy doing that...
I pulled the housings off and brought 'em inside to let them dry out and sure enough, they dried right up. Took about 5 hours, but they look great now.

My fog lights are fine, however. A little yellowed, but not foggy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #20
sensible
sensible is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktthecarguy View Post
Hi there,
What about the headlights from RockAuto? The mid-price ones are only $40 apiece. Anyone tried them?
I bought the headlight assembly from RockAuto for the 2001 sc1. I had water in headlight problem. The headlight from RockAuto is a great replacement. No fitment issues, no fogginess, no water. perfect for much less than dealer. I think I payed around $104, dealer wanted $178.

One Day At A Time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sensible's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sensible reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sensible is offline   Reply With Quote