SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Heart Smile and Wave

Permit me to steal a line from the famous penguins of the movie Madagascar for a moment.

Being this is the GSD, I will already take to heart that some may understand what I am about to say, some may not and some may totally misconstrue it.
This....is for those who do get it and did get it all along.

Only if you live in a cave, deprived of all media and isolated from others would one possibly not have heard what has happened to Saturn.

This is not about that.

Those who remember a time of small, efficient plastic cars that came along with caring sales staff and service consultants will remember a little thing we all used to do when we Saturn owners drove past each other. I don't know who started it, or why. But it was like an unspoken friendly "Hello" that you would give to your good neighbor, a acknowledgment of passing on the good will that started with the purchase of that small dent-proof car. Like we were all members of a VIP club or something.

That thing was called the "Saturn Wave". That tiniest of gesture we used to do just seemed to spread everywhere you passed it on. Like passing on a good feeling inspired others to pass on the same.

I have met many people since my first Saturn in 1993. We now have had 14 Saturns total since. From the first local car show I attended to the online car clubs where I have made many new friends and all the great people I came to know who worked at Saturn, the passion all came down to one thing: our Cars - how our Saturn Cars make us feel.

I still wave to other Saturn owners on the street and many, especially the older model owners still wave back and smile. Back then it was because we knew we were part of something special, something only a Saturn Owner could embrace.

I still wave to Saturn Owners today, because we know we are still part of something special, despite what is happening today. Many of us with 100, 200, 300 Thousand or more miles know what I am talking about.

I still will wave at other Saturn Owners today because beyond our cars, it was also about the people. The people who made Saturn a great car to own, who made it easy for us to own our cars and who worked hard behind the scenes to make it so for us. But most of all, the end result is we love our Saturns, we acknowledge each other for whatever reasons and that - is what makes us Saturn Owners special -

- and that is why I'll still do the Saturn Wave and encourage you to pass it on too.

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Re: Smile and Wave

Know what'cha mean but it's just not the same.

Times have changed and not for the better.

2007 SKY RL
2004 VUE RL
1996 SC2CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2
Default Re: Smile and Wave

Porsche owners waive all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

As do Harley riders...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

It's impossible to keep waving to Saturn drivers because there are too many of them here. I would constantly be waving

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

I bought my Saturn when it was just two years old, and I was specifically looking for a Saturn wagon. That was 11 years ago. At that time, and throughout the run of the S-Series, people bought new or slightly used Saturns specifically because they were looking for a Saturn. At that time, the "wave" made sense; you saw another Saturn driver, you figured they probably had the same, or similar, "intention" to their purchase.

By this time in history, the vast majority of Saturns on the road (of S-Series, anyway) are owned secondhand, and among them, I'd reckon the majority of them were bought by people just looking for an economical car, or one of a particular size, or price, or condition. So the Saturn make is of little consequence to them. Wave at them, and they'd probably not even notice that you're also in a Saturn, and would puzzle at your gesture. This isn't a reflection on the identity of the brand, or the success or quality of the car, it's just a natural historical progression. Just look at all the Craigslist ads for Saturns where the seller clearly doesn't even know what model, and sometimes even what year, of car s/he's selling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Saturndude82
Saturndude82 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

+1 So very true, every other listing on craigslist is for an sl2 when the car is an sl, or sl1 colored bumpers

2002 Sl1 5 Speed Spring Special
Eibach Pro Kit ST-Struts
XXR-001 17in Rims Falken 205/45/17 Tires
Tint and Clear Corners
Thermal R&D Cat-Back!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturndude82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturndude82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturndude82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member
Derek McNelly is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Well, if any of you see the goofy blonde kid in a blue SC2, go ahead and wave. I'll wave back!

I got my Saturn BECAUSE it's a Saturn.

I remember when I was 11, my mom pulling into the Saturn of Warren dealership, dropping off her little blue '89 Honda Civic, and walking with me into the showroom. There was this shiny, blue 2001 SL1 with balloons tied to the antenna and a Red Wings flag in the rear window, and when I opened the door, in the backseat, there was a little bear with a Saturn emblem on it's chest just sitting there.

And as we pulled toward the driveway, the employees came and clapped for us as we drove off. It was something special, that even 9 years later, I still remember fondly. Had that car up until about two years ago when my step-brother got into a pretty bad wreck, and they had to total it out. That was the first Saturn I had ever really known personally.

Mom wound up buying an '04 Ion Quad Coupe, Grandma bought an '02 Vue (and currently owns an '05 Relay), my step-brother bought an '07 Ion Sedan, and my step-dad is leasing an '07 Ion Sedan. There are many other Saturn owners in my not-so-immediate family, and now that I was in the car market, I wanted something I knew would be fun, reliable, and economical.

Managed to find that SC2 in the exact blue color my Mom's SL1 was, and every time I get in it, I just remember how special that moment was. How there was at one point in time a brand where the car wasn't the most important part of the equation.

There never was a brand like that before, and I doubt there ever will be again.

Last edited by Derek McNelly; 10-31-2009 at 02:18 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Derek McNelly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Derek McNelly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Derek McNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

I still wave , but the smile is gone !

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I wave to other Saturn owners fairly often.... Usually, no one waves back.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
I remember when I was 11, my mom pulling into the Saturn of Warren dealership, dropping off her little blue '89 Honda Civic, and walking with me into the showroom. There was this shiny, blue 2001 SL1 with balloons tied to the antenna and a Red Wings flag in the rear window, and when I opened the door, in the backseat, there was a little bear with a Saturn emblem on it's chest just sitting there.

And as we pulled toward the driveway, the employees came and clapped for us as we drove off. It was something special, that even 9 years later, I still remember fondly.
At least most of us Saturnfans were lucky enough to experience this unique car-buying experience, and at least we will always have the fond memories. And maybe someday we will fully understand how something that seemed so right went so wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
I wave to other Saturn owners fairly often.... Usually, no one waves back.
What do you expect from NY? You're lucky they don't flip you the bird!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote