SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
rentfrow1
rentfrow1 is on a distinguished road

Default Manual Transmission Overhaul

I just bought an MP3 manual transmission from the pick n pull yesterday to do an auto to manual swap in my '99 SL2 (114000mi). Other than cleaning the outside up with degreaser, is there anything I should do/look for to make sure I don't have any problems with it later? I am thinking I should replace some of the oil seals and peak inside to make sure there are teeth on the gears. Anything else?

For the clutch assembly, I will probably replace the clutch disk, pressure plate and throughout bearing, and I will get the flywheel refaced. I would appreciate any advice on where to source the parts and what to get. It is just a daily driver, so nothing fancy.

Time is not an issue, because I don't plan on putting the transmission in until this winter when I pull the engine to rering it (rings, bearings, gaskets, valve job). It burns 4-6 qts between oil changes (3000mi).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rentfrow1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rentfrow1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rentfrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Manual Transmission Overhaul

If you plan on opening up the tranny have the differential pin welded in place. Wolfman has pictures of where to weld.

clutchcityonline.com is where you can get a LUK CLutch assembly for 159 shipped.

I doubt you need a resurfacing on the flywheel. But I can send you a link for a cheap light weight flywheel ($150 compared to the usual 300).

Read my debrief on my own engine rebuild.

Read Rebuilding My '95 SC2 for OldNuc's and my commentary on that rebuild also.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

get the diff pin welded, and clean off the magnet. when you take it apart DO NOT let the 5th gear synchro come off, its a pita to get back on since theres about 500 different combinations and only one works. And I know where you can get a stock replacement clutch for 95 + shipping, drop me a pm and I'll tell ya.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I'd like the link for the flywheel. I've been toying with doing a lightweight flywheel when I'm in there. (clutch swap) Only holdback is cost, I don't see otherwise why a lightweight flywheel would not be a worthwhile upgrade!

Fidanza was one of my top items on my mod list.. $$$ though.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

I'd weigh the $40 or so a year of between-changes oil topping against the cost of having oil drainback holes drilled in the pistons.

With the re-ringing and new clutch/tran, sounds like you're into this car for the long haul...

At least you don't have to worry about the weak US dollar causing your oil prices to go up

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
rentfrow1

$40 or so a year? Try $120 to $150 /yr. I commute 70mi /day, and I add .5qt to 1qt every time I fill up with gas. I have probably already spent half of the repair cost in oil. Not to mention that I have to keep cleaning out the EGR valve and the throttle body. The engine is also developing leaks in the rear main seal and the cam cover gasket.

I am also doing the overhaul because I am an engineer, and I view this kind of thing as exciting and fun. I almost got an MP2 5th gear set from the junkyard yesterday, but I did not have the right size socket to get the input and output shaft nuts off. I think it is 30mm right?

On another note, no one answered my original question yet. Should I replace the seals in the junkyard transmission as insurance against future leaks, or do they typically last the life of the vehicle? Thank you for the responses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rentfrow1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

if you dig into the trans, check the bearings for play & replace any with any noticeable play.

You could also consider painting it. Here's what someone on sixthsphere did with theirs.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Leafy

1994 SL2

if you're already replacing the rest of the stuff in the tranny you might was well replace the seals.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Leafy

1994 SL2

and I know we're said it before but make sure you get the diff pin welded in place. I want to pimp slap the engineers that let the accountants make the decision to not put some way of holding the diff pin in.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
rentfrow1

I got the transmission apart and pulled the differential out to be welded. The differential bearings felt a little gritty, but that was probably just from cleaning the outside of the case. I will try to flush them out later. There were no obvious problems with the gear set. The magnet had some metal on it, but it wasn't too bad.

Anybody have a source for the tolerances I should check before I reassemble it?
Also, where would be good place to source the replacement seals?

Thanks for all the help. I will try to post some pics later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member
1995sl1sohc is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

Replace the differential bearings, chances are they grounded through bearings and toasted them. I know they did with mine BCA 208 is the part number. All stores should be able to cross it. NAPA # is 6208J.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995sl1sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995sl1sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995sl1sohc is offline   Reply With Quote