SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
lowboy17
lowboy17 is on a distinguished road

Default factory amp location?

Does anyone know where the factory amplifier is located in a 2008 Outlook? I want to add a sub box and upgrade to an aftermarket amp because the factory one sucks balls! I need to bypass it so I can run all speakers off of the aftermarket amp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowboy17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowboy17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
morpheus2969
morpheus2969 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: factory amp location?

The factory amp is located underneath the steering wheel - just to the left, behind the panel below the steering wheel. Its a small rectangular box with about four wire clusters connected to it. If I can dig out my service manual, I will post a scanned copy of the diagram.

"I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me." - The Matrix Reloaded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to morpheus2969's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help morpheus2969 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
morpheus2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
lowboy17
lowboy17 is on a distinguished road

Okay, so I found the factory amp. Does anyone have a pinout as to which wire does what? I'm trying to find the wires to the factory sub, and because the sub is buried in the console under the dash, it's easier to grab the wires at the amp instead. I could grab the signal wires to the factory rear speakers, but I'm not sure if they are crossed over or not. If they are a full range speaker I can use them, if they are a mid range signal, my amp won't have a low frequency to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowboy17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowboy17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lowboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
KnightRid
KnightRid is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE

Massively old thread but I am trying to locate the amp on my 2009 Saturn Outlook and cant find anything under the black panel under the steering wheel.

Does it attach to the body control module? Only picture I could find is this repairprocedures.com/service-manual/document/2009/saturn/outlook-awd/driver-information-and-entertainment/radio-speaker-amplifier-replacement-with-uqa-uqs/3130_1932_14559_74901_8_2152871.html

and that looks like the amp is on the back side of the body control module which mine is not.

Stupid question - do ALL 2009 outlook FWD have the amp? It does not have the Bose system. If not, can I add a factory one into the loop?

Been having problems with speakers working one day and not the next...sometimes all work, sometimes 3 work (tweeters always work so not counting them), sometimes 1...etc. I thought, from reading a ton, it would be the amp that needs replaced rather than the head unit itself (I hope it is not in the wiring or else I will be trading this in tomorrow) but I cant find the darn thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Mike

www.legitreviews.com
www.stogiereview.com

Tell em Mike sent ya :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KnightRid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KnightRid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KnightRid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
jld
jld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRid View Post
Massively old thread but I am trying to locate the amp on my 2009 Saturn Outlook and cant find anything under the black panel under the steering wheel.

Does it attach to the body control module? Only picture I could find is this repairprocedures.com/service-manual/document/2009/saturn/outlook-awd/driver-information-and-entertainment/radio-speaker-amplifier-replacement-with-uqa-uqs/3130_1932_14559_74901_8_2152871.html

and that looks like the amp is on the back side of the body control module which mine is not.

Stupid question - do ALL 2009 outlook FWD have the amp? It does not have the Bose system. If not, can I add a factory one into the loop?

Been having problems with speakers working one day and not the next...sometimes all work, sometimes 3 work (tweeters always work so not counting them), sometimes 1...etc. I thought, from reading a ton, it would be the amp that needs replaced rather than the head unit itself (I hope it is not in the wiring or else I will be trading this in tomorrow) but I cant find the darn thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Mike
Did you ever locate the amplifier? I have the same problem with my 2007 Saturn Outlook and it is driving me nuts trying to find the audio amplifier.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jld's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jld reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #6
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld View Post
Did you ever locate the amplifier? I have the same problem with my 2007 Saturn Outlook and it is driving me nuts trying to find the audio amplifier.
Thirded. It's worse in cold weather, which suggests a loose connector (to me).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:49 AM   #7
KnightRid

2009 Outlook XE

Quote:

Jim
Amplifier is only on the Bose systems

Oh it was my speakers also. Seems they only last a certain time period and die. Gotta love those premium parts they use

www.legitreviews.com
www.stogiereview.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KnightRid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
jld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post
Thirded. It's worse in cold weather, which suggests a loose connector (to me).
Curiously, my problem seems to worsen in rainy/humid weather. In those conditions, I only get sound from the tweeters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jld's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jld reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2016, 05:20 AM   #9
KnightRid

2009 Outlook XE

Quote:
Curiously, my problem seems to worsen in rainy/humid weather. In those conditions, I only get sound from the tweeters.
Check the connection inside the door jam - unplug that big plastic piece and see if water is in it. I read online about that happening also but I was under the assumption it was just sunroof equipped models...

Our tweeters always worked too and the main speakers were on and off randomly. I actually took it to the dealership and they told me the speakers were all bad and I was a little apprehensive but after hooking up 2 other speakers I had laying around and they worked perfect I figured they are just junk speakers (like most other components of cars now a days) and I ordered a set online for HUNDREDS less than the dealership wanted to put them in. I out the exact same ones back in since I will probably get rid of this Outlook before I need to replace them.

www.legitreviews.com
www.stogiereview.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
jld

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRid View Post
Check the connection inside the door jam - unplug that big plastic piece and see if water is in it. I read online about that happening also but I was under the assumption it was just sunroof equipped models...

Our tweeters always worked too and the main speakers were on and off randomly. I actually took it to the dealership and they told me the speakers were all bad and I was a little apprehensive but after hooking up 2 other speakers I had laying around and they worked perfect I figured they are just junk speakers (like most other components of cars now a days) and I ordered a set online for HUNDREDS less than the dealership wanted to put them in. I out the exact same ones back in since I will probably get rid of this Outlook before I need to replace them.
Yes, I saw some Youtube videos where water had somehow gotten into the electrical connectors to the speakers. When I checked mine, however, it looked pretty dry. I think I will start looking at replacing the speakers as you suggested.

Thanks,

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jld's Reputation