SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR
Question Tire pressure warning light

Anyone know how to reset the tire pressure warning light on an '09?
All 4 tires were a little low, but now they're all at 30lbs and the light won't shut off. Is there a reset switch of some kind? If so, where?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SuperCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SuperCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #2
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
Default Re: Tire pressure warning light

FOUND ON P. 9-51 of OWNER'S MANUAL:

"The low tire pressure warning light comes on at each ignition cycle until the tires are inflated to the correct inflation pressure."

My suggestion: re-check your tires (slow leak?), restart the car, and take it for a spin around the block, turn it off, and start it up again. If that doesn't turn the light off, have the vehicle serviced.

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Zeodragon
Zeodragon is on a distinguished road

The fact that you are at 30psi will probably be the reason. The vehicle's tires are suppose to be set to 35psi. so that 5psi is over the 15% limit for tps and will turn the light on. The 35psi is on the drivers door jam, that's manufacturers suggestion. Give that a shot and it should fix your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeodragon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeodragon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Fill 'em up to 35psi and give it a awhile (something like 10-15min), then the light will go out.

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR

I'm confused! The sticker in my door jamb says all four tires are to be inflated to 30psi. Is there maybe a difference between the XR and the XE models? (We have an XE)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SuperCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SuperCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
astraflip
astraflip is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

mine did the same thing once...the tires were thirty and i brought them up to 35-38 psi...drove later on and the light went away..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to astraflip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help astraflip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
astraflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Yep, I confirm. my XE is 30 PSI. Drive around a bit, and it should go away. The vehicle must be in movement for proper TPMS readings

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

also remember that many manual gauges are off some. do they really have 30 pounds.?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! will become famous soon enoughAstra La Vista! will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Yep, I confirm. my XE is 30 PSI. Drive around a bit, and it should go away. The vehicle must be in movement for proper TPMS readings
Nope. The vehicle doesn't actually have to be moving -- just running (filled mine up on Friday and the light actually went out while I was still stationary and putting my seatbelt on). The only time where you might have to actually drive the vehicle for a bit is if the vehicle hasn't been driven for several minutes prior to topping up the tires.

If you have a valve core tool, try tightening the cores a little bit. Two fingers on the tool should be all the torque you need -- don't want to over tighten them when you have TPMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
also remember that many manual gauges are off some. do they really have 30 pounds.?
True. Better to err on the side of caution and run them 2-3 PSI above what the door sticker says. That small amount won't make a difference as far as comfort or tire wear is concerned as long as they're all equal. Also, tire pressure should be set when they are cold, so if you put in 30 PSI in the middle of the afternoon after you've driven for a half hour, you might be down to 28 PSI in the morning (if you park outdoors, that is).

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

xe has different tires than the xr. the xr tires are a lower profile and thus require more air pressure to protect the rims lips from damage.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote