SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
97 Saturns
97 Saturns is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1997 SL2
Default What if??

What if??

While I am not a Penske Fan, I have to utmost respect for what he has achieved. In my opinion, Saturn was never meant to become a US Distributor of foreign built vehicles.

***What if Saturn became an Employee Owned Company?? *** Then; What if Saturn went back to the S Series Cars.*** First, bring Saturn back to Spring Hill and get it away from GM. Bring back the S Series car as it was. Since the Plant is already closed why not?? I know it sounds nuts, but hear me out.

In an interview on CNBC in October GMs CEO Fritz Henderson said that GMs Future predications are based on $ 130 a barrel oil prices. Remember that Oil Prices Ranged from a low of $33 - $75 already this year. If they go up the same next year, we are talking about $ 100 + possibilities.

I believe that gasoline prices were a large part of the problem. From 8/90 1/03 Average Gasoline Prices Ranged from a low of 90.7 to a high of 171.3. With prices like that who really wanted a small car. Since the S Series Car ceased production until now Average Gasoline, Prices ranged from a low of 144.4 411.4. This year they have ranged from 168.4 269.1 already. It was not until 2004 that we saw gas over $ 2.00 a gallon. In addition to that in 4 of the last 5 years we have seen over $ 3 a gallon, and then over $ 4. The American Public has already forgotten about that and is once again purchasing less efficient vehicles.
If the Whole Worlds Economy were not in the toilet, where would gas prices be now??

I was working at a Saturn Dealership in the mid- late 90s. The customers were happy. Some had started families and were asking for a bigger car. Then the problems began.

So they say you can never go back home. Nevertheless, we are not trying to go back home. First, they took our car away, then they tried to take our values away, then they took Spring Hill away, and finally they took Saturn away. So maybe you can never go back home- because it will never be the same. Saturn would not be going home- it would be starting over without GM. It would be a giant neighborhood revitalization project, and maybe more people would like to be involved this time around. I know that I would. If this trial balloon floats, we have many ideas to help make it happen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97 Saturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97 Saturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97 Saturns is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Hman127
Hman127 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What if??

You know that might have been a good thought, like the Opel workers did, but I don't think It would be possible with the economy today, besides that who would have the capital to construct a plan like that. You would need engineers, designers, etc. Thats the reason Penske tried to find someone to build cars for Saturn. So he could focus on the numbers and all. Also I don't think Saturn was really elevated to go to the next level. They had some good ideas and made stuff in house, but the rocket ran out of steam and money. It cracks me up that rumor that Gm may let SAIC purchase the Invicta platform on one of their vehicles. I really wonder what part of GM will get phased out in the future. Will It be Buick. Its still hard to understand how Saturns sales for 08 were 188,004 and Buick was 137,197. We had less dealers and sold more cars, yet we get the boot. Only reason maybe Buick, being older and selling like hotcakes in China.What I really think is when Opel was taken over by Magna they should've been allowed to change the Saturn name to Opel or let Magna be our car maker, but of course Gm has a clause about selling here in North America. They could have thrown in Springhill as a package.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hman127's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hman127 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hman127 is offline   Reply With Quote