SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Dennis6
Dennis6 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Update on rattling/clunking noise front end

I was away in Europe and just got back so I fiinally got my 2008 Vue XE in to get the noise coming from the front end that I had posted about earlier,checked out.They had to replace the stabilizer shaft links at the control arm parts 15779961 and 15779960.They appeared to know what it was because they had the parts on hand and I got it back the same day. I am guessing they all ready had a service bulletin out on it.I urge all owners to get their Vue checked out stem to stern well before the warranty runs out.This is not something that should be happening on a low milage vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dennis6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dennis6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dennis6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
tamigood45
tamigood45 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Update on rattling/clunking noise front end

I also had mine replaced. There was a clunking noise in the right front of the car - only when I went over bumps! Saturn replaced the right front stabilizer link.

TAMDAMGOOD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tamigood45's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tamigood45 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tamigood45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamigood45 View Post
I also had mine replaced. There was a clunking noise in the right front of the car - only when I went over bumps! Saturn replaced the right front stabilizer link.
I've had mine replaced as well. Also, the "strut mount plates" tend to go out a lot. This is a plastic plate that sits on top of the strut below the tower mount under the hood. I replaced mine at about 60k when I put new struts on (Monroe parts), and I'll be damned if the front end isn't noisy as can be over bumpy roads. It's really annoying.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

One of the Canadian VUE owners bought links with grease fittings... That should go a long way keeping the noise down.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
I've had mine replaced as well. Also, the "strut mount plates" tend to go out a lot. This is a plastic plate that sits on top of the strut below the tower mount under the hood. I replaced mine at about 60k when I put new struts on (Monroe parts), and I'll be damned if the front end isn't noisy as can be over bumpy roads. It's really annoying.
But the OP is referring to an 08 Vue, correct?

I guess the 2nd gen VUE is not immune to front end noise either?

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post

I was wondering if the OP's is the exception since this seems like a complaint that has been associated with the pre-2008 Vue....or at least based on the lack of mention about it on here. So far I haven't experienced anything like this so either I'm lucky...or it's only a matter of time before it shows up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
stbvue
stbvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post

No its not! if you ask me they didnt change anything to take care of that problem. My 05 is noisier than ever and the squeaking noise in the front has been there ever since new....no place to grease anything and now the whole suspention rides rough. Im thinkin struts now. This Vue has one of the worst suspentions i ever encountered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stbvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stbvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stbvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
grisham91402
grisham91402 is on a distinguished road

My wife has the clunking going on in the area everyone is talking about. Guess its time to send it in for warranty.

08 Silver XR 3.6 FWD Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grisham91402's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grisham91402 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
grisham91402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The only long term solution is to use a sway bar link that you can grease.

I'm using Green Grease in my links. The best grease money can buy...
http://www.greengrease.net/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
SueVue
SueVue is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Had my stabilizer links replaced about 10K miles ago also and it's starting to do the same thing again. Definately is a weakness in vehicles.

2003 VUE AWD 2.2L w/VTI (gone), Pacific Blue
2005 VUE FWD 2.2L Auto, Yeah, it's Blue too!(Sold)
2008 VUE XE AWD, Deep Blue
2007 ION 2, Storm Gray
1984 Monte SS ( my toy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SueVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SueVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SueVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Is something like this covered on the 36K general warranty or the 100K engine/drivetrain warranty. I have a high milage 2008 Vue with a similar problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
CRAZYJTS
CRAZYJTS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
Is something like this covered on the 36K general warranty or the 100K engine/drivetrain warranty. I have a high milage 2008 Vue with a similar problem.
Seems like it would not be a power train item but rather a bumper-to-bumper. Mine is past it's 36k warranty but I had it in before the warranty was up for noise in the front end but they found nothing. I hope the existing issue will get this covered. It's going in for a tune soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CRAZYJTS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CRAZYJTS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CRAZYJTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
CRAZYJTS
CRAZYJTS is on a distinguished road

Saturn Customer Service and my local GMC dealer were able to help me out with warranty repairs and replaced the stabilizer links and my rattle has gone away. I advise anyone who has this rattle to try and get it warrantied. I was out of the 3/36 period but they still did the replacement since I was only at 42k mileage, I'm not sure if the previous visit for a creak made any difference in their decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CRAZYJTS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CRAZYJTS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CRAZYJTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
leogag1
leogag1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

On my 2005 VUE, my dealer did the job "for free". I only had to pay the parts. They call it "good will" work... I'll ask my mechanic how to do it by myself, it seems to be easy to do.

Honestly, considering the overall quality of this vehicle (I had many, and the 2009 VUE is by far the best machine I has so far...) paying 200$ once a while to maintain it "like new" is not something that should drive me crazy! This kind of flaw is not limited to the VUE, many cars using the same kind of plastic link have the same problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leogag1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leogag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

It is amazing that the second-generation VUE still has the same problems as the early ones. You would think they had fixed the more obvious trouble makers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
dnale
dnale is on a distinguished road

I'm betting my wife's 08 has a bad sway bar end link as well. I'm relatively familiar with the noise as my Mazda would go through a set in about 30k. However for it they were cheap and I could do both sides in about an hour and for about $35.

The links look about the same on her Vue as my Mazda had. I checked the front right and it looks good then I drove it and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the left. Just been too busy to pull the wheel. Tonight I probably will and see what I have.

I've got a lengthy wish list for Rock Auto. Brakes, sway bar links, air filter, etc....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnale's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #17
envoy
envoy is on a distinguished road

My '08 XR starting doing the same thing last week. I had no idea what was causing this, so I went on this forum to see if anyone else was having the same issue. I found this post and since my XR has over 80K miles, I knew this wasn't going to be warrenty work. I went on to Rock Auto's website and ordered new Moog left and right links. The Moog's are larger diameter and look more robust than the OEM parts (more mass). The bearings look better and they have grease fittings. I'm not sure what the OEM parts cost, but the Moog's are $33.79 each. If you turn the wheels to the right you can get access to the left side link and it's just two nuts to loosen up. Just reverse to do the other side. I didn't jack the car up or take the wheels off, just layed on the ground. The link comes out and then you can put the new one back in. It's not a big job and replacing both sides took about two hours. Both sides were bad, but it was the right side that was making all of the clunking noise. I hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to envoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help envoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
envoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Replace them with Deeza greaseable sway bar links and don't look back.

Rock auto sells them...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
envoy
envoy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Replace them with Deeza greaseable sway bar links and don't look back.

Rock auto sells them...
On the Rock Auto site, for the 2008 Vue, Deeza is not avalible for the front links, only Moog.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to envoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help envoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
envoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
dnale
dnale is on a distinguished road

getting them on/off isn't a problem. I used to have to grind/cut off the ones on my mazda. We took it again. I'm sure it's both of them. Sounds just like it's sway bar links. I'm saddened by the lack of zerks on the entire front end of the vue. There is no such thing as a lifetime part in a front end. It's great to hear the Moog ones have zerks. The moog's i got for my mazda didn't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnale's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dnale is offline   Reply With Quote