SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Post Saturn and Me: General Motors Loses a Customer

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Saturn and Me: General Motors Loses a Customer

Quote:
Allan Sloan from the Washington Post: Until last week I had been one of General Motors' most reliable customers for more than 15 years. But my relationship with GM ended the very day the company announced that it was closing its Saturn operation

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Allan Sloan - "Saturn and Me: GM Loses a Customer"

My bet is he bought an Acura, I guess that would be about as close to the (old) Vue--Honda engine and all, as the new Equinox is to the Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
AEIoUy
AEIoUy is on a distinguished road

Assembled in Canada, powertrain made in USA. Yes, its definitely an Acura MDX.

I concur with everything he said. GM abandon a good thing and why should I give my $$$ back to the mothership? I don't buy into this blinded "Buy American" with cars since buying a Civic supports American jobs directly and indirectly more than a overseas made Saturn Astra or Daewoo, I mean Chevy Aveo. And GM has already stated its going to source more parts overseas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AEIoUy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AEIoUy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AEIoUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIoUy View Post

I concur with everything he said. GM abandon a good thing and why should I give my $$$ back to the mothership? I don't buy into this blinded "Buy American" with cars since buying a Civic supports American jobs directly and indirectly more than a overseas made Saturn Astra or Daewoo, I mean Chevy Aveo. And GM has already stated its going to source more parts overseas.
You might want to read this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...40#post1526940

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
You might want to read this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...40#post1526940
heh, I like how you linked my post from that thread..

(dunno if this was your actual intent or not, but whatever.)

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
(dunno if this was your actual intent or not, but whatever.)
Actually, it wasn't. I just wanted to link him to the topic, but I guess your post was close enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
Kimosen
Kimosen is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:

Amusingly, this describes the Chevy Equinox as well. Annoyingly, the Equinox is tip-top awesome.

I'm sick of hearing all these "boo on GM Im buying foreign now" people. Isn't blind bias what Saturn tried to eliminate?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kimosen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kimosen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Kimosen

2008 AURA XR

Quote:

You do realize that the 2008 and up Vue was a GMDAT creation, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kimosen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
04Pacific
04Pacific is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Saturn and Me: General Motors Loses a Customer

I'll buy another used Vue Redline 04-current or go with a used MDX for my next daily driver (sorry, can't afford a new one and won't spend that much money), but I don't think I will go with an Equinox unless they start offering an SS version. I miss the SS TrailBlazer, that thing was wicked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04Pacific's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04Pacific reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
Kimosen

2008 AURA XR

Alas, CAFE assured the death of the Trailblazer SS - that thing WAS wicked. I remember the first time I put my foot down in one of those. I just laughed. A riot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I bought GM cars since im 16 and im now 25 and the astra was my last GM.I thank them though for introducing me to european driving and i will now buy BMW products.

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

My response to Mr. Sloan - Waaaa! I'm not sure what made him a more "reliable" GM customer than anyone else (esp. considering the population who uses this site), but he's more concerned about his diminished resale value than the thousands of jobs lost - and it's associated financial impact.

Fortunately, Mr. Sloan will get to see what it feels like to "be Saturn" as people continue to turn away from reading print newspapers and seek news elsewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
AEIoUy
AEIoUy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
My response to Mr. Sloan - Waaaa! I'm not sure what made him a more "reliable" GM customer than anyone else (esp. considering the population who uses this site), but he's more concerned about his diminished resale value than the thousands of jobs lost - and it's associated financial impact.

Fortunately, Mr. Sloan will get to see what it feels like to "be Saturn" as people continue to turn away from reading print newspapers and seek news elsewhere.
Actually, I've read Allan Sloan's articles and editorials everywhere from NPR to WashPost. But his main job is over at Fortune magazine and that magazine's circulation is healthy considering it tailors to corporation clienteles. I wouldn't get into a tit for tat with his job.

Plus, the writing on the wall were there for months and just set in stone on 9/30. I doubt him buying a Saturn would have been done anything to save the 'thousands of job lost' since GM wanted to dump the brand anyways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AEIoUy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AEIoUy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AEIoUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
dentar
dentar is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

As much as I hate to admit it, GM stung me twice. I had an Oldsmobile Intrigue.. and loved the car. After GM s###-canned it, I got a Saturn VUE which I would like much better if little things like electrical switches wouldn't break so darn much. Sadly, GM has s###-canned that brand as well and I'm done with GM. In fact, I'm thinking of being done with American cars, as horrible as that sounds in this economy. Had GM stuck with the EV-1 the story would be much different today. They were squarely seated in position to revolutionize the whole industry but politics ruled the day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dentar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dentar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #15
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentar View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, GM stung me twice. I had an Oldsmobile Intrigue.. and loved the car. After GM s###-canned it, I got a Saturn VUE which I would like much better if little things like electrical switches wouldn't break so darn much. Sadly, GM has s###-canned that brand as well and I'm done with GM. In fact, I'm thinking of being done with American cars, as horrible as that sounds in this economy. Had GM stuck with the EV-1 the story would be much different today. They were squarely seated in position to revolutionize the whole industry but politics ruled the day.
These are pretty much my sentiments exactly. My '83 Olds Firenza (made in Brazil) was the worst car I ever owned - and I had 2 Vegas! In 1994 I was just about done with American cars, but I decided to give GM one more chance when we bought a '94 SW2. We subsequently bought a 95 SW2 (still my daily rider), a 96 SL2 and 2 VUEs. And now Saturn joins the EV-1 and GM's legacy of great ideas. So I think I'm done with GM, but given the state of our economy today, I'm still very reluctant to go foreign.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosen View Post
Amusingly, this describes the Chevy Equinox as well. Annoyingly, the Equinox is tip-top awesome.

I'm sick of hearing all these "boo on GM Im buying foreign now" people. Isn't blind bias what Saturn tried to eliminate?
The 2010 Equinox is simply a more polished Theta SUV. It still has all it's same strengths and weaknesses the chassis has had since 2002.

Saturn owners are sick of how GM destroyed Saturn, and then abandoned them. We're all very aggravated with the way GM abused Saturn and it's owners.

How is that supposed to support GM brand loyalty?

I don't fault any Saturn owner that don't want to buy another GM car.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

GM making the painful business decision to excise a brand that wasn't making them money proves to me that they have changed and it makes me more confident that they'll make better decisions in the future. I'm not glad to see Saturn and Pontiac disappear, but I am glad that GM knows when to do the right thing. I'll stick with GM in the future, as I have for the past 20+ years, I see no reason to leave them.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The 2010 Equinox is simply a more polished Theta SUV. It still has all it's same strengths and weaknesses the chassis has had since 2002.

Saturn owners are sick of how GM destroyed Saturn, and then abandoned them. We're all very aggravated with the way GM abused Saturn and it's owners.
SOME (perhaps MOST)....but not all. I don't think GM abused us at all. Brands come and go, as painful and upsetting as that may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP
How is that supposed to support GM brand loyalty?

I don't fault any Saturn owner that don't want to buy another GM car.
Doesn't want...doesn't, not "don't want."

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #19
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosen View Post

I agree on this, I don't understand the people who won't buy a certain company's cars because of the business issues they have. As if it is somehow going to make the cars unreliable or dangerous. The resale argument is a load of crap too. No car is an appreciating asset. Plus if you follow the prices of Oldsmobiles from the late 90s/early 2000s before they closed up their resale is the same as Chevys and Buicks.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I doubt him buying a Saturn would have been done anything to save the 'thousands of job lost' since GM wanted to dump the brand anyways.
Sure, but he could have bought a GM car (along with 1000s of other people who also can) and help save the 1000s of jobs of people who still work for GM. (An American owned company that probably employs more people in the US than all the foreign brands combined)

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote