SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
RTandall
RTandall is on a distinguished road

Default TPS Replacement on Saturn SL1 SOHC 1.9L

The instructions say to remove the throttle body assembly in order to change the Throttle position sensor on the 1.9 L SOHC Saturn 2002. Yet if on the 1.9L DOHC there is no mention of removing the throttle body assembly.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Could it have anything to do with holding the valve shut when setting it?
It looks like you could just replace the sensor where it is. I have the parts in just waiting for the gasket before doing this. Without removing the throttle body assembly will not need the gasket.

If there is a good reason I would like to know before going into the repair.

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RTandall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RTandall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RTandall is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
LPC
LPC is on a distinguished road

I'd say pull it and clean it when you replace the sensor, gasket's cheap enough, its easy to pull, and it never hurts to keep the intake as clean as you can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LPC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LPC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: TPS Replacement on Saturn SL1 SOHC 1.9L

The 2002 DOHC throttle body sits differently in the engine bay. Your SOHC has the TPS right up against the fire wall. Its a pain to get in there, so you remove the TB and do it on the bench.

Better question is why your replacing it?

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
RTandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
The 2002 DOHC throttle body sits differently in the engine bay. Your SOHC has the TPS right up against the fire wall. Its a pain to get in there, so you remove the TB and do it on the bench.

Better question is why your replacing it?
Thank you for the answer. It is rather close but it looked like there was room. However it does make sense that removing it will make it easier to reach.

Received two codes, P0122 pointed to the TPS

Also have P0128, thought ECT was cheap enough and was time to change out coolant.

Car has 100K+ bought it new and it has been great car. Lately starting to shift later than normal and has droped below 30 mpg highway. Just got check engine code this week.

Thanks again for the answer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RTandall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
RTandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPC View Post
I'd say pull it and clean it when you replace the sensor, gasket's cheap enough, its easy to pull, and it never hurts to keep the intake as clean as you can.
Hey Thanks for the quick response. Guess some carb cleaner might come in handy for that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
jmsokol
jmsokol is on a distinguished road

My son's 98 SL DOHC started to surge at idle a few weeks ago, and now will surge at highway speeds while holding the throttle steady. The engine RPM jumps up by 1,000 RPM and then will settle back to normal at 2 second intervals. No surge when the engine is completly cold, but within 5 minutes of warm-up, it's doing the surge thing again. I did get a check-engine light 2 days ago and put my Scan Gauge II to read the code, which turned out to be P0711 - high transmission fluid temp. But the TF level was full and it was obviously not overheated since the total drive was less than 2 miles from a cold start. Seems like a failed TPS to me since it feels like the throttle is being pumped to rev the engine, but no actual throttle displacement is taking place.

So will a bad TPS sometimes not throw a code? We pulled the TPS connector and cleaned it without fixing the problem.

I've seen a bad Oxygen sensor cause a surge on a Toyota, but without a P code I'm whizzing in the dark. Is that a possibility?

Also, I've pick up a new TPS for $34 at AutoZone thinking it was an easy swap-in. But boy, it's right up next to the firewall and might require removal of the air-horn(?) or perhaps a specially bent allen wrench for removal of the bolts. Anyone know what size Allen or Torx drive is required before I start bending and beating a tool into shape?

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmsokol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmsokol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

Change the ect sensor and check the connector for corrosion, if there is any in it replace it. You should start your own thread as well, you might get more responses that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote