SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who do you blame?
GM 54 83.08%
Penske 3 4.62%
Renault 2 3.08%
UAW 12 18.46%
Saturn itself 3 4.62%
Dealers 0 0%
Media 3 4.62%
Other.... 5 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
AEIoUy
AEIoUy is on a distinguished road

Default Who do you blame mostly for Saturn's burial?

Poll coming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AEIoUy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AEIoUy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AEIoUy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Who do you blame mostly for Saturn's burial?

The economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Tie... I'd say GM, UAW, and to an extent the media personally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

GM may be too general an answer. The source of most of GM's current issues was Roger Smith.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Tie... I'd say GM, UAW, and to an extent the media personally.
While the UAW may be to blame for the American auto industry's problems as a whole, I take exception that they put Saturn at a greater disadvantage (at least to other American manufacturers).

I thank the UAW workers who built my Saturn every day I start it up (with 150,000 miles) and it runs perfectly, getting 40mpg. Americans are still some of the best and most productive autoworkers anywhere in the world - just ask Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Mercedes, BMW, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

You need another choice called "It doesn't matter".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I blame myself.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I blame myself.
I was just going to post that it was your fault when I saw this thread. Thought to myself, "If Hokie didn't harp on the polymer panels so much, Saturn would still be around."

Thanks a lot Hokie, 13,000 jobs and over 400 dealerships down the drain thanks to your infatuation with rubber things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
While the UAW may be to blame for the American auto industry's problems as a whole, I take exception that they put Saturn at a greater disadvantage (at least to other American manufacturers).
This is true, but the fundamental problem is the fact that they put American manufacturers at a disadvantage to the foreign manufacturers. I initially thought GM management and the UAW should share the blame for the Company's problems. But now I'm thinking, isn't it management that ultimately gives in to the Union demands? And isn't it a management failure for not anticipating what legacy pension and benefit costs would mean down the road? As for Saturn, I think there was a failure in marketing. I think a lot of people still equated plastic bodies with "cheap", and that it probably compromised safety - both misconceptions. Going away from "a different kind of car" philosophy in favor of "rebadging" certainly doomed the division. For more recent blame, I think the brand was seriously tarnished by the VTi debacle. The VUE wheel bearing goof-up didn't help the reliability numbers either. Is Saturn or GM management the blame for these decisions? I'm inclined to give GM management 95% of the blame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
daver

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
I was just going to post that it was your fault when I saw this thread. Thought to myself, "If Hokie didn't harp on the polymer panels so much, Saturn would still be around."

Thanks a lot Hokie, 13,000 jobs and over 400 dealerships down the drain thanks to your infatuation with rubber things.

I agree, and I think we should all get together and go ring his doorbell and run. C'mon, who's with me?!?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Gm is the biggest reason Saturn died. I can't firgure out why in the world would GM invest so much and then starve and strangle Saturn out of existance. Of course, our government hastened the process by intervening and pushing bankruptcy and the pairing of divisions. Of course, the Saturn Dealer Organization kept it alive a little longer--not like Pontiac,that was sacrificed quickly. At least there was something of some value that could be sold--hopefully to Roger Penske. Things looked up for a short time until Renault-Nissan nixed the deal to supply cars on the 11th hour. So evidently the Dealer Organization,Penske, and to a lesser extent,the dedicated Saturn Fan/owner were the only positive things. Too bad it wasn't enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
GM may be too general an answer. The source of most of GM's current issues was Roger Smith.
Wasn't it Roger Smith that started the Saturn company as GM's answer to the imported car influx? Didn't Saturn fall under GM's divisional umbrella under Smith's successor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
]

He helped begin the Saturn brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I read an editorial in the WSJ and the person pretty well summed it up:

GM - Starved Saturn by not giving it the needed funds.

UAW - When a new UAW president (The name escapes me I believe it started with a Y) came on board he was a no nonsese union guy. He helped scap the unique Saturn - UAW contact and also pushed GM to use Wilmington to build the L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

GM itself holds most of the blame, for basically "giving up" on Saturn financially.

Personally I think if GM built a new version of the S-series with the quirks worked out, theyd sell well. A US built plastic bodied car that gets 40MPG for < $12k would help GM pay off the taxpayers' "loan" quicker, IMO.

94 Blue SL1 RIP Thanks to a Drunk Uninsured Driver
95 White Bonneville w/190k

Soon Ill be back in Saturnland.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfather99 View Post
Personally I think if GM built a new version of the S-series with the quirks worked out, theyd sell well. A US built plastic bodied car that gets 40MPG for < $12k would help GM pay off the taxpayers' "loan" quicker, IMO.
My 1991 SL2 with a 5 speed, nice stereo, spiral rims, cruise, power windows/locks was $13,100 in June of 1991. It'd be tough to make one 20 years later for a grand less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
How can you blame Roger Smith? He was the founding father of Saturn.

Ol' Fritzy Boy, Rick Wagoner, and Bob Lutz never liked Saturn from day 1. After Roger Smith passed away; and GM continued it's downward spiral, it seems to me that it has been more of a thing that the crew at GM was seeing how long they starve Saturn before it finally died.

GM, and Renault/Nissan can suck it for all I care. Poor business decisions don't make for a well run company.

GM's continued downward spiral will continue. Just watch...it's coming.

The facade has worked so far, but poor business decisions over the past 15+ years are slowly catching up to GM.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

Last edited by 2NDSOUT; 10-05-2009 at 08:31 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
daver

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
How can you blame Roger Smith? He was the founding father of Saturn.

I guess you can use the logic that if Saturn never existed, it never would have died.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

GM for dropping the ball early on and letting it wither on the vine by starving it of money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sweepspear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
My 1991 SL2 with a 5 speed, nice stereo, spiral rims, cruise, power windows/locks was $13,100 in June of 1991. It'd be tough to make one 20 years later for a grand less.
Youre right, my bad on the price....

94 Blue SL1 RIP Thanks to a Drunk Uninsured Driver
95 White Bonneville w/190k

Soon Ill be back in Saturnland.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote