SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
noanoxan
noanoxan is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default how to install foglights in a 2nd gen sc2... (pics)

madpogue made a basic image to show how to bend the oem brackets to accommodate aftermarket lights, such as these..:

so I took that image, and ran with it. hopefully this'll help someone who wanted some better lighting in their sc. if you need the oem switch pod and pins so you can have the oem look, I suggest going over to 6s and giving Headtrip a pm. he sells retro-fit kits for...$30? something like that. one thing though. if you have a 96, you'll have to crack open your stock switch pod to see what version pcb you have. they had two afaik. v5, and v6. I had to send my first switch back because while the foglight circuit worked, my rear defrost wouldn't stay on.

start with your disassembled light, (yes, I did this in my living room..)

and bend the top mounting tab that held the adjustment screw down.

next, drill a hole in your mounts like so..

so that you can mount the brackets that came with your lights.

another angle...

that's about it for fabrication. mount your lights in the brackets and have at it..

stock 27w housings have nothing on these..

and a pic of one of them on the car. I'm assuming they mount here on these bumper bolts, since there doesn't seem to be any other place. you can see my tweaked bumper as well. I had no idea that was there. now I have another thing to replace

when I got the cover back on to position the lights, I noticed they were really far back in there. I don't know if it's because I got the wrong brackets or what, but I made them work with a couple of 3" extensions on the mounting tabs. I wish I had a pic of the extension, but my camera's batteries died and I was pretty frusterated from aiming the lights, so I said **** it. I made them out of a big ass tie plate I found at home depot. they may look a bit ghetto rigged, but with the bumper cover on they look pretty good.

once I buy some new batteries, I'll get a night shot. they look pretty cool lighting up my front end the way they do, and they actually put light on the road. I don't think they're very useful for fog (they're not yellow), but they do a nice job lighting up signs and mailboxes. makes it easier to read addresses at night when I'm out on delivery.

till next mod..

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to noanoxan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help noanoxan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
noanoxan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: how to install foglights in a 2nd gen sc2... (pics)

Yup, those are the pics I should have taken, and that's exactly how I rigged them. Oh, and I put a second screw through that slotted hole in the bent-down portion of the OEM bracket and the bracket that came with the lights. This allows both left-right and up-down adjustment.

But man, you gotta post _links_ or _thumbnails_, not the pics themselves; this took hella long to load, even on a fast connection. Oh, and best to put the pics in your gallery here on SF, so you don't have to worry about whether the other site is blocked for some visitors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Clean your floors!!!

Nice work, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
IVIYTH0S
IVIYTH0S is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1997 SL2

Awesome job man!!
Any shots of the finished product??

Name: "Spork" - Mileage: 142K - Trans: (MP2) - owned (8/6/09) to Present - Current Best Mileage Est: 38mpg -Mods: H&R Sport springs, KYB GR-2 struts, Ebay WAI, OBX header, A/C Delete, LED Instruments

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IVIYTH0S's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IVIYTH0S reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IVIYTH0S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

the larger bracket is the stock bracket, correct?
is it pretty much the same for an SL2? i've been looking at getting SX2 bumper covers, and this would make a really fun addition

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Waitaminit; aren't the fog light openings in the coupe bumper some odd non-round shape? Plus, those are sedan/wagon brackets (I wondered why they look so familiar...); the brackets for the coupe lights don't set the lights nearly that far back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
noanoxan

1996 SC2

I had a feeling they weren't the right brackets.. that feeling became more evident when I had to modify my wheel wells to make them fit back in there. no worries though. I made extensions so they're only about a half inch from the bumper. if I ever find a coupe with lights, I'll make it right. parts are cheap around here.

the holes are a bit oval, yes. but it looks fine from the front. I don't know of an after market light that'd fit perfectly in those holes, but if there were, they'd be too small to be of any use on the road, imo.

as for the size of the pics, I could've made them smaller, but I didn't really notice the size. I have a pretty fast connection..

and I'll get finished pics when I get some new rechargeable batteries. my last set won't hold a charge anymore

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help noanoxan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
noanoxan

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud819 View Post
Clean your floors!!!

Nice work, though.
they were clean about a day and a half ago. they're cheap stick-on tiles that stain easily. I also have three dogs and two cats, so there's a bit of sand tracked in. we also had my sister and her three dogs over that weekend..lol

with the amount of hair these animals shed, I'm amazed I still have a sense of smell. oh well. I live in a damn zoo..

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Nice work
This is something I've been considering, as the stock fogs on my SL2 are basically just for looks.

I'd like some nicer housings with some good power behind them. Anything to help the factory headlights on these cars...

I'd love to hear a comparo of the light output, and final pics with the bumper on

1996 SL2 5MT. 239KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
madpogue

1996 SW2

+1 on the pic request. As for the light output, on my wagon it's (pun slightly intended) like night and day. They actually are pretty good in fog, being so low and casting a fairly wide beam. They really help in lighting the sides/edges of the road, which is great if you drive in the country a lot where animals are out at night. The factory lights were glorified DRLs; good for people seeing you, but they poured very little useful light out on the road in front of you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
ruley73
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Sorry to be antagonistic, but the title of this thread is incorrect. It should say "how to install foglights in a 1995-1996 sc2"

The 1997-2000 SC2s are the 2nd gens and they are much different.

Looks good for the people that can do this though.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 148K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
noanoxan

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Sorry to be antagonistic, but the title of this thread is incorrect. It should say "how to install foglights in a 1995-1996 sc2"

The 1997-2000 SC2s are the 2nd gens and they are much different.

Looks good for the people that can do this though.
yeah, you do have a point there. I saw this earlier today on a 98 sc1. I think I can change it..

but the procedure is essentially the same. remove cover, bolt on lights, wire, go...

edit: nope. no option to edit first post. oh well.

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m will become famous soon enoughDavid 93 SL2m will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: how to install foglights in a 2nd gen sc2... (pics)

Soon I will be doing this same project on my 1996 SC2 also. Right now I only have the bracket for the driver's side and need to find the bracket for the passenger's side. One comment and one question.

Comment: it might have been easier to drill the new hole before bending the tab 90 degrees instead of bending the tab and then drilling.

Question: instead of drilling a new hole, could the slot that looks like a fat capital "I" been used along with a washer or something to fill in the gap? Just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Waitaminit; aren't the fog light openings in the coupe bumper some odd non-round shape? Plus, those are sedan/wagon brackets (I wondered why they look so familiar...); the brackets for the coupe lights don't set the lights nearly that far back.
Yes, the brackets for the fog lamps on 1995-1996 SC2 models are different as you described.

As of 29 Mar 2014
∙ 1993 SL2, 207K
∙ 1996 SC2,121K
∙ 2002 SL1, 86K
∙ 2004 VUE, 93K
Past
∙ 1993 SC2, 140K
∙ 1996 SC2, 157K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200, 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote