SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Report: GM Stopped Production of all Saturns Last Thursday

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Report: GM Stopped Production of all Saturns Last Thursday

Quote:
David Thomas from Cars.com: Current owners' warranties are still fully backed by GM and will be serviced by other GM brand dealerships

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Report: GM Stopped Saturn Production of all Saturns Last Thursday

With people with math abilities like that running the place, it is no wonder there were problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
cstack3
cstack3 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Report: GM Stopped Production of all Saturns Last Thursday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Thanks, Charlie, I was just wondering when that shoe was going to drop!

I think Saturn dealers, who were seduced into hanging on and on with the Penske promise, must now be closing shop left & right....it appears that Saturn of Downers Grove IL is gone from what I can see driving past.

Does GM have to purchase back the unsold stock, or are the dealers stuck with it? There may be some interesting deals to be had, but the whole deal stinks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cstack3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cstack3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cstack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
MyTNSaturn
MyTNSaturn is on a distinguished road

Saturn of Dundee/Lake Barrington and Schaumburg have the same owner and are all closed now too. I don't know where to have my VUE serviced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyTNSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyTNSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyTNSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Very soon you'll see all the remaining Saturn dealers either close or switch to other makes. This was not a respectable act that GM has dealt to Saturn retailers or Saturn owners.

GM could have given Saturn more time to find another buyer, or more time for Penske to find another automobile supplier.

The only thing GM will gain from these actions is more unemployed workers, and angry customers.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Bwolf
Bwolf is on a distinguished road

We were on vacation in Florida and reports were the Fort Myers area dealerships were all closing and selling at 40% off.

I called my dealer in Lowell, MA and learned they are doing business as usual and believe that 2010 production will continue. They even believe that one of the original bidders for Saturn is back in the picture talking to GM about buying Saturn.

Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed I couldn't buy at 40% off (yet) at my dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

I'm glad we didn't buy an outlook last year when it would have been $32K or more. will have to call my salesman to see what kind of deals they are running for leftover orphans.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

if they just stopped building saturns last week there must be some rare 2010 saturns out there somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTNSaturn View Post
Saturn of Dundee/Lake Barrington and Schaumburg have the same owner and are all closed now too. I don't know where to have my VUE serviced.
Not exactly right, but close. They were all owned by the same people, but only the LB and Dundee locations have closed.

I was at the Schaumburg location on Fri, talked to the salesman I bought my car from, bought some parts, saw some people waiting for service and even saw some cars on the lot.

Now if something I wasn't aware of suddenly happened on Sat, I don't know, but I don't think they can close 'that' quickly, can they?

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
MacTech
MacTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
<snip>
Now if something I wasn't aware of suddenly happened on Sat, I don't know, but I don't think they can close 'that' quickly, can they?

Andy
Maybe I'm being too cynical, but think back to the EV-1 situation, GM took back a fleet of perfectly functioning, usable cars and simply crushed them, they didn't seem too woried about the financial loss that destroying perfectly good vehicles would put them in then....

what's to stop them from (thinking out loud here) contacting their dealer network and "requesting" that all unsold stock be transferred back to GM HQ, vehicles like the Outlook and Vue could, in theory, be switched to their Chevy/GMC/Buick clones with some minor grille/lights/bodywork changes, the Aura would need more extensive re-skinning to become a Malibu....

....or they could simply strip them for parts, and crush the remaining carcass

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MacTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

thats a whole different thing. the ev1 were experimental and the never ever sold any. not one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Wow. The body wasn't even cold... .

My Saturn parts guy said that they expected GM to buy back their parts inventory, but it would seem unlikely they'd be nice enough to purchase any remaining vehicles (that they would have to take a hit on the prices of).

Pure GM. No wonder that 67% of the people responding so far to the poll about buying GM said no.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Kimosen
Kimosen is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
Maybe I'm being too cynical, but think back to the EV-1 situation, GM took back a fleet of perfectly functioning, usable cars and simply crushed them, they didn't seem too woried about the financial loss that destroying perfectly good vehicles would put them in then....

what's to stop them from (thinking out loud here) contacting their dealer network and "requesting" that all unsold stock be transferred back to GM HQ, vehicles like the Outlook and Vue could, in theory, be switched to their Chevy/GMC/Buick clones with some minor grille/lights/bodywork changes, the Aura would need more extensive re-skinning to become a Malibu....

....or they could simply strip them for parts, and crush the remaining carcass
GM didn't "take back" anything. The EV1s were leased. GM took them back after the end of the lease. Just like if you lease a Mini-E, you'll have to give it back. Because it's a lease. And that's how leases work.

The EV1 battery system (Lead Acid for Gen1, NiMH for Gen2) wasn't robust enough to survive a full car lifetime, which is one of the primary reasons the program was canceled - the technology wasn't there.

Toyota and Honda also canceled their electric car programs at this time, so it wasn't just GM.

If you want to GM bash, feel free I guess, but please stop posting about the EV1. All you're doing is perpetuation lies and misinformation. The EV1 never was a good idea, it never was a functional car, and it was never financially or technologically viable, not in 1996 anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kimosen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kimosen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #14
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

sad day for saturn they should of kepted on making them??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

two weeks ago the dealer bawlked at my -$10k off sticker offer on a Vue. I was there today again, should have asked them if they has any bites yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i dont think that most saturn dealers have enough money left to lose 6000 dollars a car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!