SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
JimmyP
JimmyP is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Trade in value of Saturn

By how much will the defunct brand name Saturn hurt the resale/trade in value of our cars?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JimmyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JimmyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JimmyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Trade in value of Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
By how much will the defunct brand name Saturn hurt the resale/trade in value of our cars?
More than the book price hit that Oldsmobile products took when they bit the dust. Saturns were not sold by GM dealers. GM has no vested interest in Saturn. Who would want a Saturn now? The book values will reflect that. Watch them drop when the books are updated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
JimmyP
JimmyP is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
More than the book price hit that Oldsmobile products took when they bit the dust. Saturns were not sold by GM dealers. GM has no vested interest in Saturn. Who would want a Saturn now? The book values will reflect that. Watch them drop when the books are updated.
Well that sucks. I never should have strayed from my trusty Toyota. I'm going to Toyota tomorrow, if I get a bad deal, then I'll drive my Vue into the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JimmyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JimmyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JimmyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Not good for the seller or trader-in.

But a great time if you are in for a good used car.

Some of you younger people out there that do have extra garage space and a little extra money. Go buy a good used Saturn - and just put it away.

You will have lot's of fun with it when you reach my age.

I gave serious thought to buying a new Triumph Spitfire convertible the last year they were sold in USA. Then later, gave serious thought to buying a new Camaro convertible - the last year they were sold new.

Wish I had.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well that sucks. I never should have strayed from my trusty Toyota. I'm going to Toyota tomorrow, if I get a bad deal, then I'll drive my Vue into the ground.
I would not even waste the time - you have a loaded 08 VUE - had to cost some pretty coin. It'll be worth 45% of what you paid, if you are lucky. Toyota dealers are among the worst to deal with as well. If I were you, keep it unless you have money to burn. Going to the dealer will only make you depressed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Anyone who bought a Saturn for its resale value did not do a very good job of researching the car before they bought.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Good used car, nothin'. In two weeks I'm going to hit Craigslist and buy myself a whole fleet of parts cars. I'll start an S-series junkyard right in my back yard!

My SL2 will never die.

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_DgZ View Post
My SL2 will never die.

THAT is why you buy a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
austinguy512
austinguy512 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

i bought a 1996 used SL2 with 163k on it.....put on some new tires and replaced the oil valve cover, and with some other minor repairs this car is a workhorse. i paid $1900 out-the-door for it and with the repairs im still in it well under $3000 (i also had to buy a stereo, it was missing it when i got it, and tinted the windows).

im sure parts will still be available for many years to come - think of how many Saturns were produced and many probably have shared parts with other GM vehicles.

i never took this Saturn to the dealership, just to my independent mechanic when i needed something done on it.

i haven't even put on 3k on it yet but it's a solid car. the only thing is that it is burning like a quart of oil (10W30) about every 3-4 weeks. i guess that's normal for an old car. oh well, i just keep a few quarts extra in the trunk and every other fill-up i check the oil level. i had noticed it was burning oil when i checked it and found it was 3 quarts low and still running! lucky me.

since the resale value will take a dump, it is a car worth holding on to in lieu of selling. there's nothing wrong with it, and while it isn't the prettiest car i own, it certainly is the most fuel efficient. also i dont feel bad if it gets scratched or dinged, and who really cares if you leave it parked somewhere overnight. that's what i like about it the most. it isn't a car that a thief would consider, and probably one a burglar would walk by without a second look.

--------------------------
GM all the way!

1995 GMC Vandura 3500
1996 Saturn SL2
2006 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Hummer H3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to austinguy512's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help austinguy512 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
austinguy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

also some banks will not finance them anymore soon. as soon as they quit making a car they wont finance them. i think its stupid but they do. a year after oldsmobile was gone two banks had them on there no finance list. i would guess pontiac and saturn will be added soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy512 View Post
i bought a 1996 used SL2 with 163k on it.....put on some new tires and replaced the oil valve cover, and with some other minor repairs this car is a workhorse. i paid $1900 out-the-door for it and with the repairs im still in it well under $3000 (i also had to buy a stereo, it was missing it when i got it, and tinted the windows).

im sure parts will still be available for many years to come - think of how many Saturns were produced and many probably have shared parts with other GM vehicles.

i never took this Saturn to the dealership, just to my independent mechanic when i needed something done on it.

i haven't even put on 3k on it yet but it's a solid car. the only thing is that it is burning like a quart of oil (10W30) about every 3-4 weeks. i guess that's normal for an old car. oh well, i just keep a few quarts extra in the trunk and every other fill-up i check the oil level. i had noticed it was burning oil when i checked it and found it was 3 quarts low and still running! lucky me.

since the resale value will take a dump, it is a car worth holding on to in lieu of selling. there's nothing wrong with it, and while it isn't the prettiest car i own, it certainly is the most fuel efficient. also i dont feel bad if it gets scratched or dinged, and who really cares if you leave it parked somewhere overnight. that's what i like about it the most. it isn't a car that a thief would consider, and probably one a burglar would walk by without a second look.
not to burst your bubble there, but on such an old car you'll have things brake all the time. It was not the strongest car.
Around here 10 year olds S cars go on auction for about $500, and that's all I'd pay for it. don't get me wrong, I like them, but many things break on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #12
Matt42
Matt42 is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2

Quote:
Depending on the year of the Vue, and the engine/transmission, that might happen sooner than you think, or it could take a very long time.

Vauxhall V6 = Bad (IMO and in my experience)
Honda V6 = Good (IMO)

1993 SW2, 1996 Dodge Cummins

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Matt42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Matt42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Matt42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #13
austinguy512
austinguy512 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
not to burst your bubble there, but on such an old car you'll have things brake all the time. It was not the strongest car.
Around here 10 year olds S cars go on auction for about $500, and that's all I'd pay for it. don't get me wrong, I like them, but many things break on them.
i can imagine. heck it wasn't built as a street rod or a sherman tank. i think its a car that so long as i take care of it and don't drive like a madman it will suit me just fine.

also i think that if i have to lend to car to someone (family, friend, etc) then i can also rest assured that im not giving them a total POS.

--------------------------
GM all the way!

1995 GMC Vandura 3500
1996 Saturn SL2
2006 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Hummer H3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to austinguy512's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help austinguy512 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
austinguy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #14
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enoughCitation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Don't buy worry. It will cost you more to "take a bath" on that new Toyota than you have already lost in depreciation. Enjoy the car you have. Pay it off and forget about the "resale value". It's "worth" what it costs for you to replace it.

Act in haste, regret at leisure. Why torture yourself ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

In my area the black book value is 60% of original sticker price. I think that's normal ,so far, for a two year old,

Parts, well, I don't panic, other Gm models have a lot of the same parts

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
I'm going to Toyota tomorrow, if I get a bad deal, then I'll drive my Vue into the ground.
And how would that be a smart thing to do?

But hey, if you have several thousand dollars to flush down the toilet, thats cool. You can send some of it my way. My PayPal ID is the same as my user name.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
It's "worth" what it costs for you to replace it.

+1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

Last week I was in getting service on the Astra and I offered the sales guy $10k off sticker on a Vue. He bawlked, but maybe it does not sound too bad now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

saturn dealers arnt making much money these days so its hard to beleive that they would take a huge loss out of pocket like that but who knows. they would probably sell it on used car lot for more than that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote