SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Why One of Detroit

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Why One of Detroit’s Brightest Hopes Failed

Quote:
Patrik Jonsson from the Christian Science Monitor: General Motors' Saturn brand

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Why One of Detroit

"How do you take something that was such a good idea and wreck it deliberately?"

They did it with the EV1. Apparently they don't learn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

GM could not resist liquidating Saturn's assets and forming Saturn from the same mold they used for the rest of their divisions. They were essentially assimilated.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

A lot of errors in this article.
L Series wasn't a "wagon", there was a "promised" minivan,the Relay and all Wagoner did was call out the clones to fill out Saturn's line as quickly and cheaply as possible. More cynicism from the top.

The top at GM got what it wanted. The Penske deal fell through, they're out nothing but taxpayer money in the attempt at spin off and are probably dancing a little jig at finally being able to get rid of Saturn. Best of both worlds for the d-bags.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
kendals
kendals is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2005 VUE 2.2L

I for one am pretty disappointed about the last minute fail. I have had 4 saturns over the past 15+ years and they have been great. I currently have a 1995 SL2 with over 176K miles on it and it is still going. Plan on getting over 200K on it until I trade it in. I also have a 2005 Vue and it is a really, really nice SUV.

Now with saturn down for the count, I am not sure what brand to shop for next that has the same expectations of a Saturn car.

2007 Ion 2 Sedan
2005 Vue
1996 SW2 (sold)
1995 SL2 (171,000 miles)
1992 SL1 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kendals's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kendals reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kendals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

well after 11 years at saturn of Tucson I guess the end is near. I think I am done with the auto industry now. Time to start anew.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Starduster_Sat
Starduster_Sat is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Now that I can think clearly about this, there are questions...

There is a motorsports analogy that fits better- Lap 199 at The 500, in the lead, turning through Turn 4... and the wall reaches out and grabs you. You stop just short of the bricks.

Despite all pronouncements to the contrary, Saturn had enemies at GM to the last. And they expect loyalty from us?

I need to hear directly from Penske Automotive Group before I can decide to be angry at them. Why did the Renault board of directors say "non"? How can you boycott a manufacturer that does not sell in North America? And if Lindsey confided that Penske still needed "60 days", why couldn't they have that?

GM? Well, I would love to say "the hell with you", except we still need them for parts and service. How commited will they really truly be to us SaturnFans? I can still be a fan of Magnussen/O'Connell & Beretta/Gavin in the yellow Corvettes, but that's about it.

Unless this is really high level brinksmanship, and there's something we don't know yet, we may have have to accept that it is over and...

...These are places that are gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starduster_Sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starduster_Sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Starduster_Sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Why One of Detroit

If you worked for G.M dealers over 32 years where would you go for your next job. Hyundai, Subaru ? or stay at american car manufactors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Kimosen
Kimosen is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
"How do you take something that was such a good idea and wreck it deliberately?"

They did it with the EV1. Apparently they don't learn.
What a ridiculous statement. The EV1 would have cost more than $75,000.00, and would have had less than half the range of the Volt. There's a reason that EVERY auto manufacturer shuttered their EV products: the technology wasn't financially or practically viable. GM was not the only company to do this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kimosen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kimosen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kimosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Starduster_Sat;1523321]Now that I can think clearly about this, there are questions...

Why did the Renault board of directors say "non"? How can you boycott a manufacturer that does not sell in North America? And if Lindsey confided that Penske still needed "60 days", why couldn't they have that?
Renault is also part of Renault-Nissan ; the Nissan dealers voiced their concerns to the board and evidently they listened.
The US dealers didn't want competition from Saturn baged Nissans here. Since it took about 4 months of talks to get this far and no other manufacturers were set up to deal at this time it was over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #11
One-Eyed-Snake
One-Eyed-Snake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn 51 View Post
If you worked for G.M dealers over 32 years where would you go for your next job. Hyundai, Subaru ? or stay at american car manufactors.
Mr. Saturn51, Your product knowledge and customer service skills are among the best in the business...you could do well anywhere. The American car companies need people like you to make a strong come back....it's hard after Saturn's demise but don't give up! See if you can find a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury or Buick dealer....Buick's customers take care of their cars, have excellent trade-ins and are willing to pay for good service. As a last resort if you have to...go to Nissan...the recalls are out of this world and they have a lot of volume coming in with all the small cars they have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to One-Eyed-Snake's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help One-Eyed-Snake reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
One-Eyed-Snake is offline   Reply With Quote