SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 10-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
saabed
saabed is on a distinguished road

Default Drivers side coolant leak

Hi guys,

New member here. I'm inquiring for my girlfriend's 2002 SL2 which just sprung a coolant leak on the drivers side somewggestions here. Between lastnight around 10pm and this afternoon she lost about a pint or a bit more of coolant which i can see coming out on the driver's side. Just enough to have her indicator light turn on. At first glance, and with a bit of searching I can't really pinpoint the leak. The hoses look good, clamps look good. I'm pretty sure it's not the water pump as it's on the opposite side. At idle from a cold start, I can't see it pouring out. Just a drop every now and then from the under guard. I can see little pools building in spaces on the radiator crevices but it's a too dark out now to identify more.

So anything in particular I can look for first thing tomorrow morning? Any suggestions or direction?

We thanks you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saabed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saabed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saabed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Drivers side coolant leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabed View Post
Hi guys,

So anything in particular I can look for first thing tomorrow morning? Any suggestions or direction?

We thanks you
Heater core??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I'm betting you'll be looking for a new radiator soon. Check the drivers sideof the radiator end tank where the TAAT cooling lines connect to it (assuming it's an auto). The hairline crack is usually in that area. Do a search for "radiator crack" and you'll probably find some pictures.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Welcome to the forums.

Congrats...you have the driver's side pinhole radiator leak. Everyone here has had this issue. I've replaced 2 radiators in 2 saturns.

It was a design flaw in the radiator design; as the radiators on these cars are plastic tanks surrounding a metal core. You can buy a replacement from your favorite auto store for anywhere from $85-$150. DO NOT USE STOP LEAK, AND DO NOT LET THIS GO...YOU WILL DAMAGE THE COOLANT SYSTEM

If you have some tools; you can replace this yourself, with a little time. It's a few 10 mm bolts. In the morning when you look at your radiator, you will see a small (literally a 1/4 inch crack) near the driver's side top near the top radiator hose.

Is this car a manual or auto?

If auto, I would reccommend replacing the auto trans cooling lines as well, which are dealer only parts at $15-$20 each.

Check the how-to section...there should be some step by step instructions there....

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
saabed
saabed is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply and suggestions guys. I'll definitely have a closer look at the top if the radiator in the morning and check out the how- to section for some ideas on the replacement procedure. To answer the tranny question, she does have the 5spd manual, so hopefully we dodged another potential bullet there

I'll post another update once everythings figured out.

Cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saabed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saabed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saabed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

If the car is a 5 speed, then you don't have to worry about the trans cooling lines. Those are only for use on the Automatic transmission cars.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Welcome

Check My Photos for an shot showing the crack as it developed in my radiator. To help with interpreting the location of the crack, the circular thing in the upper left of the photo is the radiator inlet.

If she has the same sort of radiator end tank crack, is sounds a bit early, normally it hits at around the 10-12 year point. So look carefully for other leak points as well, such as a loose hose clamp or failing hose.

If you end up replacing the radiator, keep in mind that most aftermarket replacements come with A/T cooling line connection points. They can be ignored with a manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
2000sl2heaney
2000sl2heaney is on a distinguished road

Hey Don,
You hit is on the head.
I have a 2000 SL2. It is 2012 now. It took 12 years for my leak to appear. Your pic looks like my radiator.
thanks for the advise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000sl2heaney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000sl2heaney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2000sl2heaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
SalemCat
SalemCat is on a distinguished road

When you install the new Transmission Hoses, wrap the threads with TEFLON TAPE, so they don't corrode in place.

It will make replacement much easier next time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SalemCat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SalemCat is offline   Reply With Quote