SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Penske Automotive Terminates Discussions with General Motors to Acquire Saturn

A new story entry has been added:

Penske Automotive Terminates Discussions with General Motors to Acquire Saturn

Quote:
Penske Automotive Group today announced that it has terminated its discussions with General Motors to acquire the Saturn brand, citing concerns directly related to the future supply of vehicles beyond the supply period it had negotiated with GM.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Starduster_Sat
Starduster_Sat is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Penske Automotive Terminates Discussions with General Motors to Acquire Saturn

We are... stunned.

I need to wait another day or two, so I can write rationally, and properly focus and direct my anger.

I don't want to get stuck in a "what could have been" loop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starduster_Sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starduster_Sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Starduster_Sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
AEIoUy
AEIoUy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Penske Automotive Terminates Discussions with General Motors to Acquire Saturn

I'm not surprise at all. The writing was on the wall. Many major cities were without a dealer at all. I kept wondering why Saturn commericals aired in Kansas City when there were no Saturn dealerships. What a waste of money. Then dropping all Canadian dealers. Really, it was a no-win situation to carry on Saturn name on rebadged import cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AEIoUy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AEIoUy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AEIoUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
specman
specman is on a distinguished road

To whom it may concern:

I know that none of you even know who I am so let me tell you about my life and Saturn(s). I have spent literally thousands of hours reading Saturn news and formus on various sites without ever putting my 'two cents' in (BTW: I have visited Saturnfans.com at least 6 days a week since since 2000 -Saturnalia). Charlie you are a godsend and I truly feel your pain. I have owned several Saturns: 1991 Saturn SL2 - 38th car to ever roll out of Spring Hill, 1993 Saturn SC2 - a lot of $$$ in performance upgrades (204.97 whp), 1995 Saturn SL2, and my favorite the 2002 SC2 - more money in performance & customization than you can possibly believe.

This has to be the saddest day of my life. I was about an hour away from spending $1,200 on my LSD for my 2002 SC2. Now the trouble is getting my car back to stock so I can sell it. I feel so betrayed (lost & hurt). Saturn was, and now will die being the last 100% american car company left. GM & Penske dropped the ball on this gold mine.

Too think, I was actually hopeful that Penske was going to save the American Car Company, with an American Car, by Americans', for Americans'. Not that im pedjudice - I just take pride in seeing the "made in the U.S.A." sticker on my car. This is the End of the American Dream for the guys who dared to dream big enough to make Saturn what it was. This truly is the saddest day of my life; next to the loss of dear family and friends.

I would like to thank everyone else that shared in the passion that was 'us' the 'Different Kind Of People with the Different Kind of Car'.

Save Saturn.
Lee T.

P.S.--> So how long do we have to wait till we can make and sell our own Saturn replacement parts? (Seriously.)

SATURN FAN 4 L!FE
2002 Saturn SC2 - tuner project
1995 Saturn SL2 - everyday driver
1993 Saturn SC2 - tuner project
1993 Saturn SC1 - recently sold to roomate
1991 Saturn SL2 - brother flipped/to

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to specman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help specman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
specman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
cstack3
cstack3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIoUy View Post
I'm not surprise at all. The writing was on the wall. Many major cities were without a dealer at all. I kept wondering why Saturn commericals aired in Kansas City when there were no Saturn dealerships. What a waste of money. Then dropping all Canadian dealers. Really, it was a no-win situation to carry on Saturn name on rebadged import cars.
I have to agree! I was hoping against hope that Saturn would import some really innovative cars, perhaps even rebadged Opels (the nicer turbo-charged models that Saturn never got close to).

Alas, the market is glutted with 4-wheel cages, so Penske probably did the smartest thing.

RIP, Saturn....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cstack3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cstack3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cstack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn-Is-Dead-3.jpg (105.5 KB, 5 views)

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
ROTFLMAO That is classic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
ROTFLMAO That is classic.
Good stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
SL1Joe
SL1Joe has a spectacular aura aboutSL1Joe has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

I heard about this on the radio earlier while driving home, then again on the Nightly News.. I thought this was a done deal months back, guess not..

I kept wondering how they were going to make the cars, importing them just doesn't sound right, Saturn was never meant to be an import brand so it's just as well.

Perhaps some investment group could still save it, I heard someone was trying to buy Pontiac and resurrect that brand as it's own company perhaps they could aquire Saturn as well..

Truth be told though Saturn has been dead for awhile ever since Spring Hill began making Chevy's.

95 SL1 - Midnight Blue [ Crossed the 140,000 mile mark in March, 2011 ]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1Joe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Joe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I am sorry to hear this news. I hope that through all of this, we can find new hope in Saturn. Maybe GM will "resurrect" Saturn at some point in time. After all, they had a great business model to start with.

By observing what has gone wrong with the current Saturn, they should be able to make some improvements to their current model, and emerge as a new and successful company.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
I am sorry to hear this news. I hope that through all of this, we can find new hope in Saturn. Maybe GM will "resurrect" Saturn at some point in time. After all, they had a great business model to start with.

By observing what has gone wrong with the current Saturn, they should be able to make some improvements to their current model, and emerge as a new and successful company.
I wouldn't count on GM to "resurrect" Saturn in the future at anytime. Fritzy and Lutz hated the idea of Saturn from Day 1; although they'll be all "Sad" to the brand killed off. Lovely how facades work.

I'll agree there was a great business model there to work with...one that GM DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO OPERATE. Then again, when you have the same old executives in place with a "new" idea...good luck trying to "Convince" them on the newer idea. Just won't work.

On a side note...this is my 4000th post. I wish it was a more happy post, instead of being about such a somber topic.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote