SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default Developing Story: Penske Backs Out of Deal, General Motors to Close Saturn

A new story entry has been added:

Developing Story: Penske Backs Out of Deal, General Motors to Close Saturn

Quote:
With negotiations expected to finalize tomorrow, Roger Penske shockingly announced to GM and the public today that he is backing out of the deal after failing to secure a manufacturer for the brand. For a couple of months now, Penske has been courting Renault-Nissan in an effort to outsource a model for the Saturn brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Developing Story: Penske Backs Out of Deal, General Motors to Close Saturn

Closing time
You don't have to go home but you can't stay here

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Developing Story: Penske Backs Out of Deal, General Motors to Close Saturn

First NBC cancels My Name is Earl, ending the show on a "to be continued" cliffhangar, and now this! (Actually, I was more disappointed when they canceled My Name is Earl.)

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

GM didn't want to have Saturn as a competitor. Nissan decided the same that they would be better off not having Saturn as a competitor.

The only reason for the sale was to placate the Obama administration. That GM was trying to liquidate the superfluous divisions for money.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Closing time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
MyTNSaturn
MyTNSaturn is on a distinguished road

I said it before and I will say it again. When GM ended polymer and Spring Hill they ended Saturn. This is GM's fault, not Penske's. No one wanted the huge gas guzzling Outlook/Acadia/Enclave re-badge or the Mexican Ass-tra. The AURA was nice, but still wasn't a real Saturn and suffered from a low, low resale value. The SL is dead and gone and so is Saturn. R.I.P. Saturn 1991-2007.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyTNSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyTNSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyTNSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
MyTNSaturn
MyTNSaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
First NBC cancels My Name is Earl, ending the show on a "to be continued" cliffhangar, and now this! (Actually, I was more disappointed when they canceled My Name is Earl.)
My Name is Earl is canceled. No way! I'm more disappointed in that too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyTNSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyTNSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyTNSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
gaughan
gaughan is on a distinguished road

I will never by a US branded vehicle again. Period. No questions asked. No amount of rebate. Not even a freebie. Screw ya'll, Ford, Chrysler, and especially GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaughan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaughan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
GM reaped what they sowed ... it must be karma

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTNSaturn View Post
I said it before and I will say it again. When GM ended polymer and Spring Hill they ended Saturn. This is GM's fault, not Penske's. No one wanted the huge gas guzzling Outlook/Acadia/Enclave re-badge or the Mexican Ass-tra. The AURA was nice, but still wasn't a real Saturn and suffered from a low, low resale value. The SL is dead and gone and so is Saturn. R.I.P. Saturn 1991-2007.
The Astra is made in Belgium and the VUE is made in Mexico.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
The Astra is made in Belgium and the VUE is made in Mexico.
Rethink American!

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
PapaG
PapaG is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Sounds like they had 2 models covered. Penksi just change the name and setup a new brand.... How about Jupiter.... frack GM.

87 GMC step side, Olds 5.7 diesel, custom 425 crankshaft, BBC C&A rods, Aries Pistons. Roller rockers, modified heads, modified Staydine Injection, 700r4 trans. 5.9 Turbo. Smoke'em if you got'em

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PapaG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PapaG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PapaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadIon View Post
Closing time
Wow. The king of cut and paste. You've posted the same reply 16 times within 18 minutes.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
ChuckTheGreat
ChuckTheGreat is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
2001 SC2

After several months of speculation that Roger Penske would be Saturnís Savior, he has decided that taking over a brand that is damaged beyond repair is something even he does not want to tackle.

Am I surprised? A bit. I thought Roger was going to give it a shot.

Everyone will blame this on the unnamed manufacturer, but the real blame for the failure will ultimately be the retailers themselves.

The retailers that remain are so cash strapped that many are months behind is paying for things they need for fay to day operations. Roger was in need of retailers who were going to be able to step up and spend some much needed money on advertising, facilities, and personel. Unfortunately, the retailers just donít have that kind of money. In better times, they could have borrowed but the economy is keeping that from happening.

Am I sad that Saturn is dead? I am. I spent 17 years of my career with Saturn. I am sorry they have not had the support from the Mother Ship that they needed. Shame on GM for letting this happen.

There will be a bunch of great people out there looking for jobs now. I wish them the best.

I guess the question now is: Is all my Saturn stuff worth anything????

"If you are gonna lose, lose big, lose early and get the subs in."

www.buysubaruaccessories.com

www.buymazdaaccessories.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChuckTheGreat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChuckTheGreat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChuckTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Penske for stringing us along.
this will be my last post. The american car companies as we have known them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Penske for stringing us along.
this will be my last post. The american car companies as we have known
them are dead. Let the bread lines and soup kitchens open early because thats where i will be counting all the foriegn cars drive by.
THE AMERICAN DREAM IS DEAD! goodbye,leaving the country to find a job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
pgp_protector
pgp_protector is on a distinguished road

Well that stinks.
My current Saturn has a bit over 300K on it, and I was thinking about getting a 3rd one.

But I guess not now.

So what to get when this one dies ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pgp_protector's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pgp_protector reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pgp_protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #18
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Wow. The king of cut and paste. You've posted the same reply 16 times within 18 minutes.
Only because there are 18 threads on the same subject, it would be nice to see it all put into one.

But GM is telling you

Closing time, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #19
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Devil Re: Developing Story: Penske Backs Out of Deal, General Motors to Close Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgp_protector View Post
Well that stinks.
My current Saturn has a bit over 300K on it, and I was thinking about getting a 3rd one.

But I guess not now.

So what to get when this one dies ?
A used Saturn!

As of Oct 2017
∙ 2002 SL1 128K
∙ 2004 VUE 120K
∙ 2007 ION3 108K
Past
∙ 1993 SL2 212K
∙ 1993 SC2 140K
∙ 1996 SC2 157K
∙ 1996 SC2 126K
∙ 2001 SC2, 145K
∙ 2002 L200 20K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David 93 SL2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Well, He(double hockeysticks)! I've had Saturns since early 1992, I liked all of them, even the 04 and 08 Vues. I probably will try a BMW X3 or maby the new X1 sport ute next time; I just can't bring myself to support GM after they did this. I still think that part of this was due to the present administration forcing GM and Chrysler to bankrupt. I think that the government needs to stay out of the private sector and let businesses run their course. I'm concerned for the employees at the dealerships--the people at my dealer in Lexington were always great and gave terrific service and were a pleasure to deal with. I hope there will be a place for them at the dealer group that owns the Saturn dealership. If they stay there I may be persuaded to buy another car there just to deal with them. In any event, its been quite a ride--these past 19 or so years

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote